A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

"The original candidate for DC Comics' first headlining black superhero was a character called the Black Bomber, a white racist who would turn into a black superhero under stress,[4] and be later described by comics historian Don Markstein as "an insult to practically everybody with any point of view at all."[5] When the editor who had approved the Black Bomber left the company before the character had seen print, Tony Isabella (whose previous writing experience included Luke CageMarvel Comics' first black superhero with his own title) was asked to salvage the character. Isabella managed to convince editors of his Black Lightning character which he had been working on for some time, mentioning that his characters along the way were merely stepping stones.[6]"

[6] Isabella, Tony (30 August 2007). "TONY'S ONLINE TIPS for Thursday, August 30, 2007". Worldfamouscomics.comHow did you come up with the character of Black Lightning?

So I've seen a kind of weird backlash - maybe that's too hard a term. On Deviant Art, there are a few pictures depicting how foolish the "iconic" chainmail bikini is as armor - basically showing scantily clad female (I'm noting Conan doesn't get peppered with arrows in these - just the ladies) warriors dying in swaths to some dude in platemail or punctured with arrows in the uncovered bits. There's another one with a fully armored woman who is doing her make up in a mirror and donning an open faced helmet then making excuses to a closed helmet captain about how they harm her vision (again painting the warrior in question as more concerned with her vanity than her defense) and the old captain says she was just like that once before opening her helm to reveal a great scar, marring her face

The art and the comments that pepper them seems to be chastising women for choosing appearance over substance in fantasy; it's very strange that the cheesecake armor syndrome, invented by men for a hobby that catered to boys is now being critiqued as if it was thought up by women. Maybe I've been reading too much into it. 

oh well. Self-awareness isn't as common as I thought, I guess.

I am severely out of shape. Two minutes of climbing stairs, not running, not even a brisk pace, and I'm feeling wiped out. I'm used to being out of shape, but I fear it's gotten worse. So I guess I'll try some stair climbing, just a little each day, and see if I get better...

or keel over

"If the goal of the development of our society would be that we all would work maximally, we would be insane. The goal is to liberate the human being to the greatest possible creativity. Dance, paint, sing -- yes, whatever you want. Liberty!" -- Ernst Wigforss, minister of finance of Sweden 1925-'26, '32-'36, and '36-'49; also Social Democratic ideologue.