A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

My how I love (loathe horribly) Time Warner cable.  This wonderful company (evil empire) and their control (paranoid obsessive monopoly) of 20+ mbps internet in my area makes me so happy (violent and suicidal).  Once a week, I get to call their customer service (go-f**k-yourself hotline) and discuss their latest gift (complete screw-up or incorrect billing) for me.

• 2 weeks later...

So: Proxima Centauri b -- literally THE CLOSEST STAR TO US other than Old Sol -- and despite my rantings in the Star Hero thread -- seems to have an Earth-like planet orbiting it, at the right distance so that it's "in the Habitable Zone", i.e., the average surface temperature is between 0 and 100 Celsius. (It has got to be tidally locked, which does who knows what in terms of climate, but the Earthlike-in-Habitable-Zone thing has been the Holy Grail of planet searching for at least half a century, and combination of blasphemous vulgarity united with gross statistical improbability if it doesn't turn up where we most need it.)

Literally the first thing I read about this after the astronomy/discovery stuff (including the tech papers) was a blurb to the effect of "20 years to design and build the ship, then another couple of decades to get there".

Maybe there's hope for this species yet.

I remember reading a story about a child who was in heaven. The boy had a star pinned to his shirt, and it let him fly around all over the place. Everything was wonderful until he remembered his mother. He missed her, and he wanted to see her again.

He finally got to go down to earth to see his mother. His mother, who was very bitter about losing her child, was overjoyed to see him again. They wanted to stay together.

Then the boy's star began to fly away. The boy explained that he would have to live as an ordinary mortal if he stayed. The mother decided to let him go back to heaven.

I have been looking for this story for a while. It was a children's picture book. I read it as a child in the 1970s, but I don't remember the title. Does anyone have an idea about what it was? I couldn't find any information using Google.

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaning my office, looking for things. Blundered upon a sheet with my writing on it.

Transits of Earth as seen from Mars; Earth date/time of mid-transit

• 0624 UT, 19 December 1425 (Gregorian proleptic calendar)
  • 0104 UT, 1 January 1994
  • 0136 UT, 27 March 2801

The guy working across the street has a wife who works at Lord Kitchener Elementary School down the street. Apparently, his wife has told him that the school has been rebuilt without urinals in the boys' washrooms. He finds this upsetting. 

I know this because he has told the neighbourhood so. Very loudly. Admittedly, he was intending to communicate this to the children walking by on their way to school, but, as I say, he's very loud.