A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Newsies is a Broadway musical now, and the stage show is coming to the local cinema. I'm absolutely blown away by how big that show is. I saw the movie in the theaters when first came out because I knew somebody who was in it. I was really happy to see him get in a big movie, but I thought it was just ok. To see what it has blown up into just astounds me. Someone told me it was a regular movie on the Disney Channel in the early days and that's why it has such a following. I had no idea. Pretty cool, though.

I wonder if he still gets any kind of royalties or anything.

At the beginning of my commute home today, I emerged (in my car) from the parking garage into a thundersnowstorm, the first flash as I got onto the street. Gridlock ensued almost immediately in this city of people who really don't know how to drive in adverse weather. Took me 40 minutes to get from campus to the freeway.

In the morning I had driven through snow as well, daughter as a passenger. Once we got off the freeway, I said, "OK, we made our way through the Valley of the F---heads. Next we have to ascend Mount Twit, cross over the Heights of Idiocy, and then it'll be just a long block to our destination, the Bulls--t Swamp."

(The morning snow, though heavy, melted off due to the rain that lasted from about 9AM to 3:30 or so, when I stepped out into it en route to the car.)