A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Lucius said:

I may yet live to see the day that every last male in a position of any significant authority or influence has been publicly accused of sexual misconduct.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says the news lately suggests we're on the way to that.

(Sorry to reply in-thread, against rules; I haven't figured out yet, on my pad, how to do a copy-paste of a quote from one thread into a reply in a different one.)

There is a bit of a cottage industry in the media now in digging for things like that, yes, and it also seems impossible (in the press's eyes) for women to commit sexual misconduct except when preying upon someone under the age of 13.

A conversation with a colleague led me to the epiphany that when a potential employer requires a urine test, it could be that rather than checking for drug use they are checking whether you can hit the cup with your own pee.

That level of test would be challenging for our IT support workers, so I find it plausible.

Guys!  HEY, GUYS!  We got rep back, kind of.

Go to your profile.  (I did this this morning for the first time.)  Heck, go to others' profiles and see there too.

There's a number there, which I had known before, and maybe a "You last won the day on..." thing.  

FWIW, it appears that Cygnia is kicking all our collective butts, but....

Saturday I went and got more seed and suet, and set up the bird feeders for the first time this fall.  This necessarily meant moving the hummingbird feeder, which had been hanging on the heavy support stand during the summer and early fall.

It took a day, but by this afternoon the juncos, chickadees, and nuthatches were hitting the seed hard.  The hummingbirds took longer, as I had to set up a new stand and hang the feeder in a different spot.

But I was pleased to see a hummingbird approaching that feeder ... and it was immediately beset by another hummer who had found it earlier and obviously lay claim.  Contintious little its.