A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Goodbye Martin Crane, John Mahoney dies aged 77.

"I want the chair I was sitting in when I watched Neil Armstrong take his first step on the Moon. And when the US hockey team beat the Russians in the '80 Olympics. I want the chair I was sitting in the night you called me to tell me I had a grandson. I want the chair I was in all those nights, when your mother used to wake me up with a kiss after I'd fallen asleep in front of the television. You know, I still fall asleep in it. And every once in a while, when I wake up, I still expect your mother to be there, ready to lead me off to bed... Oh, never mind. It's only a chair." - Martin, after Frasier tries to replace his Barcalounger

With the high absenteeism today due to the incipient 3-day weekend, I may have to give a pop quiz today.

Five questions:

1. What is your name?
  2. What is my name?
  3. What is today's date?
  4. What class is this?
  5. Give one physics word that we have used in this class so far this term.

Time to resurrect the old chatroom handle, Dr. Satan.

Or expose my superhero identity, North-End-Of-Southbound-Horse Man!

Back home for a week after driving out to Denver & Utah for a near three week road trip.  Next week I get to try out Jury duty perhaps.  It will be a first since I have only once had to wait in the Jury selection room when I was 19 and everytime since, I've been excused the day before, or had a business trip that wound up canceling it.

Immediately after, I'll be driving a friend's RV down to Kanab and flying back.

Back in 1983 (the middle of my grad school years) Eugene Shoemaker published a readable, fascinating review paper on the bombardment of Earth by asteroids and comets.  The paper listed 49 known near-Earth asteroids, 41 of those 1 km in size or larger.

Going to JPL's Center for Near Earth Object Studies website, there are now 887 near-Earth asteroids 1 km in size or larger, which is probably more than 90% of the actual total population of such objects.  There are also 8066 of them known of size 140 m or larger, and not quite 18000 known of all sizes; the completeness of knowledge of the smaller guys is naturally not so good.

Like the big rocks, time flies.

The Oscars seem to have gone off mildly. As expected Gary Oldman, Frances McDormand, Alison Janney and Sam Rockwell repeated their BAFTA success with their Oscar success. Del Toro won best film and best director for The Shape of Water. This was the one surprise as Three Billboards had won Golden Globes and BAFTA for best film.