A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

I had a conversation with a couple of students yesterday (both women, but that's unimportant) where the topic of vaccinations and the old "childhood diseases" came up.  I am old enough that I had all of those, and I described what they did, because they didn't know.  My comment "I spent three weeks in the darkened room" with measles meant nothing to them until I told them that measles attacked the eyes and brain, and they didn't know that mumps causes sterility in adult men, or the terrible effects of measles and rubella on the fetus if the mother is pregnant, and so on.  (Of course, I don't really know what scarlet fever does, so I ought not be surprised.)  It is easy enough to see that as a "boogeyman gonna getcha" scare story that I understand the phenomenon of forgetting the dangers of a former era in a very real way.

Eating meats cooked at high temps linked to high blood pressure

Eating grilled, roasted or broiled meats may be linked to an increased risk of high blood pressure, according to findings presented at an American Heart Association meeting. The 16-year study of over 100,000 people found that participants who said they ate various types of meat cooked at high temperature in excess of 15 times a month during the study were 17% more likely to develop hypertension than those who ate such meats fewer than four times a month.

(source)

Incorrect inference about the causal connection there.

There are those of us who cook our meat at high temperature because the meat is a proxy for ALL THE FRICKIN IDIOTS WE DEAL WITH AND FANTASIZING ABOUT ROASTING THEIR MORONIC A$$ES OVER A HOT FLAME IS ALL THE RELEASE WE CAN GET.  That and drinking.  And we get lectured about that too.

More idiots == More Hypertension.  THAT'S the correct inference.

On 3/21/2018 at 9:20 AM, Cancer said:

I had a conversation with a couple of students yesterday (both women, but that's unimportant) where the topic of vaccinations and the old "childhood diseases" came up.  I am old enough that I had all of those, and I described what they did, because they didn't know.  My comment "I spent three weeks in the darkened room" with measles meant nothing to them until I told them that measles attacked the eyes and brain, and they didn't know that mumps causes sterility in adult men, or the terrible effects of measles and rubella on the fetus if the mother is pregnant, and so on.  (Of course, I don't really know what scarlet fever does, so I ought not be surprised.)  It is easy enough to see that as a "boogeyman gonna getcha" scare story that I understand the phenomenon of forgetting the dangers of a former era in a very real way.

Scarlet fever is a bacterial infection, no vaccine is available. It's usually a sore throat, pinkish red rash, and high fever (I managed to watch Bugs Bunny cartoons without a television, haven't seen the like since).

On 3/26/2018 at 11:16 PM, death tribble said:

"V" has done a book available from Amazon on the Kindle platform. He wants to spread the word. Anyone got an idea how he could do this to the community ? He did not want to do a thread trumpeting it. I don't have Kindle so I can't say whether this is any good.

I was indeed too shy to appear in public being a shill for my own work so asked DT if he'd be kind enough to see if there was a socially acceptable way of doing this.   And many thanks to DT for raising it!

If anyone does want to read a novel that combines Regency sensibilities with cyberpunk thriller in a novel of dynastic intrigue that isn't quite the gumbo it sounds like... then please do check it out

Linky Here