A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

I returned to trivia after several long months away. (It wasn't fun and I was beginning to hate my team.)

Last night was a special Comic Book edition. I only missed one question (a manga question) and one list item (could have sworn the Teen Titans lived somewhere else). I was king nerd for a day, MVP for the whole event, dammit! ? Singlehandedly won it for or team. ? Awwww yeaah.

"I still got it."

-Ralph Malph

I was in one of the local game stores with my lady last evening. Its a great store. Friendly, welcoming, well-stocked. It has a big gaming room and private side-rooms in the basement.There is also a play-area behind the partitions upstairs. While browsing I hear references to assorted Hero rules from a game going on behind the rear partition. "Resistant PD" and "Speed Chart," among others. My ears perked up. Interest kicked in. I was elated and then, almost immediately, aggrieved. The game-master had a loud, nasal, officious, and condescending voice and manner. His game-mastering style was also grandiloquent and rail-roady. I confess my hackles immediately rose. Every syllable was like a jackhammer blow to my "aesthetic nerves." Eavesdropping (15-),  I kept thinking: "What a an ass!" Maybe he's a great game-master. Maybe his players love him. But, from overhearing twenty minutes of that game, there is no way in hell I would join in. Not even for Hero. No. Just no.

Ok, so I have finally figured out why I don't like the 'downvote' option:  I don't know what exactly you're disagreeing with.  If you give a positive comment, I generally don't need an explanation.  Either you thought my feeble attempt at humor was funny or you agree with my POV.  I'll assume we simply agree and there's really nothing more to add unless you want to provide more nuance that I didn't think of or take my thoughts on a slight detour.

However, a downvote with no explanation gives me nothing.  I don't have a problem with your disagreement, it happens to me here all the time, not knowing the 'why' or the specific 'whats' is quite irritating.  What specifically bothered you?  Is there some info I didn't provide?  Maybe I haven't thought it out well enough?  Was it just my tone?

Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents.

The Tour de France is almost over but spare a thought for the current Lanterne Rouge Lawson Craddock. This American is last in the race despite the fact that others have quit the race. He suffered injury in the first week but is still racing for his old velodrome in Texas. He only has the time trial tomorrow and the sprint around Paris on Sunday. Good luck to him and he should be recognised for his persisantance

• 2 weeks later...