A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Well, as an actor who teaches actors, I have to qualify the above. ;) Actors can approach a role from two directions. They can either work externally -- consciously and deliberately adopt mannerisms, facial expressions, tone of voice, costume etc. they've identified or imagined as appropriate to the character -- or internally -- imagine what they would think and feel if they were the person they're playing in a particular situation, and try to tap into comparable feelings in themselves. There's a synergy to that process: if you make your body act like your character it makes you feel like your character, and vice versa. There are a variety of helpful training techniques for either approach.

Most actors I know work somewhere in the middle, taking whatever works for them from column A and from column B. Not every technique connects the same way for everyone. Some teachers and directors have a very specific approach to getting the performance they want out of their actors, but most are concerned with the end result and don't much care how you get there. But actors may spend months, sometimes years, playing the same role. If you're living in someone else's skin for that long, particularly someone who's going through extremely emotional experiences, it can become very difficult to dissociate yourself from said character's "identity-driven associations" and live your normal life as if nothing has happened. It's a little like police, health-care professionals, and the like -- you tend to carry the things you see and do on the job with you in the rest of your life.

12 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Well, as an actor who teaches actors, I have to qualify the above. ;) Actors can approach a role from two directions. They can either work externally -- consciously and deliberately adopt mannerisms, facial expressions, tone of voice, costume etc. they've identified or imagined as appropriate to the character -- or internally -- imagine what they would think and feel if they were the person they're playing in a particular situation, and try to tap into comparable feelings in themselves. There's a synergy to that process: if you make your body act like your character it makes you feel like your character, and vice versa. There are a variety of helpful training techniques for either approach.

Most actors I know work somewhere in the middle, taking whatever works for them from column A and from column B. Not every technique connects the same way for everyone. Some teachers and directors have a very specific approach to getting the performance they want out of their actors, but most are concerned with the end result and don't much care how you get there. But actors may spend months, sometimes years, playing the same role. If you're living in someone else's skin for that long, particularly someone who's going through extremely emotional experiences, it can become very difficult to dissociate yourself from said character's "identity-driven associations" and live your normal life as if nothing has happened. It's a little like police, health-care professionals, and the like -- you tend to carry the things you see and do on the job with you in the rest of your life.

I appreciate you comments on craft and the actors experience. I would not dream of disputing it and find it illuminating.  However, I was making a left-handed reference to something more specific and, in my mind, more culturally insidious. Ergo, assertions such as "to play a lesbian Jewish superhero you must be a Jewish woman who identifies as a lesbian." I'm Jewish and, quite frankly, I don't care if an actor playing a Jew is actually Jewish insofar as they are respectful and put in the study and work to do their subjects justice. Donald Sutherland did fine in Uprising, for instance. He himself expressed concern over playing a Jew until his Jewish co-stars told him to get over it. They wanted him there for his talent and what his name would bring to the movie.

Some ethnic groups might be less convincing in terms of "how Jews look," but a lot of Caucasian, Latino, and Arab actors could pass for Jewish as easy as kiss-your-hand with a modicum of study and work. And, there are Kai-Feng and black Jews (the descendants of freed slaves from the American south) out there. They just aren't what people expect, but a good screen-writer could make it work and I wouldn't have a problem with it in most cases. To that same end, Sarah Shahi is straight and yet managed to play one of the most popular characters on the L Word. You don't have to be an avowed lesbian to play-pretend being one on camera. The current identitarian trend is, quite ironically, extremely exclusionary. Ideological didacticism produces inferior cultural product and makes qualification demands that have little bearing on the competence or quality of the artist.

Four examples of transidentitarian acting...

hqdefault.jpg

images.jpg

download.jpg

main-qimg-74506e3b1a49f1f14c47c4c1b9a59085.png

On 8/24/2018 at 1:11 PM, death tribble said:

I have read and/or own 16 of the Hugo award winning books.

That's dedication.

I love science fiction. But the books they choose to win Hugo awards often don't appeal to me.

I like hard science fiction when I'm in the mood for science fiction and space opera when I'm in the mood to be mindlessly entertained. But those types of stories weren't what was winning Hugo's the last time I was really paying attention to the Hugo's a couple of decades ago. I mean, I looked in on them during the early Sad Puppy era but was looking at the controversy itself rather than the books.

On 8/22/2018 at 6:27 AM, death tribble said:

The actor who played Robbie Rotten in Lazytown has died of cancer at the age of 43.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45264994

We used to watch that show a lot in our house, until the network here stopped carrying it. That's sad news.

My wife is no longer an attorney, but she still gets junk email from continuing legal education outfits.

Legal marijuana sales are expected to exceed $24.5 billion dollars by 2021, and this course will provide a concise look at a wide range of legal issues, focusing on tax implications, for those involved in the medical marijuana industry. At least 29 states have legalized the use of medical marijuana, and 8 states have legalized recreational adult use. Attorneys attending this CLE will be able to navigate this thriving industry with the knowledge and skills necessary to provide guidance to cannabis producers, processors, wholesalers, retailers and auxiliary businesses.

Whiteout conditions could occur on the new lava field due due to steam produced by heavy rainfall on still-hot lava flows.

What happens when a hurricane drops 40 inches of rain in three days on a newly-erupted volcano?  Now you know.

I have just about become dissatisfied enough with Word, that partially-decomposed-remnants-of-droppings-from-unhealthy-yaks, and its developers, those prime-candidates-for-retroactive-parental-sterilization-to-prevent-further-degeneration-of-the-species, that I am looking hard at downloading and installing TeX and relearning it, so that I do not AGAIN have to rekey in all my teaching handouts to work around the new collection of brain-addled misfeatures built in as cornerstones of their new release.  Because their goals (to drive captive customers to pony up for new training courses) are satanically opposed to mine (to continue using stuff that worked just fine, thank you).

So guys, if anyone wants to nuke Redmond, gimme 48 hours notice so I can get out of the blast zone.  In all other ways, I will support you in your righteous work.

2 minutes ago, Cancer said:

I have just about become dissatisfied enough with Word, that partially-decomposed-remnants-of-droppings-from-unhealthy-yaks, and its developers, those prime-candidates-for-retroactive-parental-sterilization-to-prevent-further-degeneration-of-the-species, that I am looking hard at downloading and installing TeX and relearning it, so that I do not AGAIN have to rekey in all my teaching handouts to work around the new collection brain-addled misfeatures built in as cornerstones of their new release.  Because their goals (to drive captive customers to pony up for new training courses) are satanically opposed to mine (to continue using stuff that worked just fine, thank you).

So guys, if anyone wants to nuke Redmond, gimme 48 hours notice so I can get out of the blast zone.  In all other ways, I will support you in your righteous work.

Do you also want notification if I just send them a sternly-worded letter?

My armory is depleted at the moment, along with my uranium.

On 9/11/2018 at 2:25 AM, Cancer said:

I have just about become dissatisfied enough with Word, that partially-decomposed-remnants-of-droppings-from-unhealthy-yaks, and its developers, those prime-candidates-for-retroactive-parental-sterilization-to-prevent-further-degeneration-of-the-species, that I am looking hard at downloading and installing TeX and relearning it, so that I do not AGAIN have to rekey in all my teaching handouts to work around the new collection of brain-addled misfeatures built in as cornerstones of their new release.  Because their goals (to drive captive customers to pony up for new training courses) are satanically opposed to mine (to continue using stuff that worked just fine, thank you).

LaTeX?