A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

On 4/14/2019 at 1:17 PM, tkdguy said:

I have the urge to watch Hawk the Slayer and run a Rolemaster game, not necessarily in that order. 

Update: I got to do both yesterday. I found my VHS copy of Hawk the Slayer and watched in with my friends. Yes, I still have a VHS.

Then I ran a Rolemaster game for my friends. Incredibly, the game ended with NO fatalities on either side, although the elven mystic came close.

It was 1980 all over again.

• 2 weeks later...

I was creating a Rolemaster character when I remembered reading about some online comment about rpg character sheets resembling tax forms. Just for the record, character sheets are better than tax forms. At least there won't be any legal repercussions if you make a mistake.

Well, that's another week in the hospital. It was an unrelated illness, but it may have been triggered as a side effect of the treatment for the previous (and ongoing) problems. Getting pretty sick of being in the hospital, no pun intended. I wish whatever is trying to kill me would just go ahead and get it over with. 

Meditation for mathematicians:

1. Close your eyes and imagine a 2-D coordinate plane (grid is optional).

2. Visualize a unit circle being formed one degree at a time. Don't rush; let the circle complete its course.

3. It's okay if your "drawing" isn't perfect. Repeat as many times as you need.

I promised myself I'd have some fun this summer, and by gosh I mean it. I bought myself a ticket to the opera. The show is a couple of weekends from now. I think I'll have a glass of absinthe afterwards. The following weekend, I will attend an introductory Iaido class. I've been curious about it for a while, so why not.

On 6/5/2019 at 1:34 AM, tkdguy said:

Meditation for mathematicians:

1. Close your eyes and imagine a 2-D coordinate plane (grid is optional).

2. Visualize a unit circle being formed one degree at a time. Don't rush; let the circle complete its course.

3. It's okay if your "drawing" isn't perfect. Repeat as many times as you need.

I'm stealing this.

I watch World of Warships replays from a Youtube creator called The Mighty Jingles (who also does World of Tanks replays). So he is now available in the games as a captain which meant that Wargaming flew him to St Petersburg to do audio for the game. Apart from the obvious things like enemy sighted they have put two of his key phrases into the game. One is "That's a Paddlin'" for when you inflict a lot of damage on an enemy vessel and the second is 'The Enemy is winning, let's hope they do something stupid' 

That's the one.

Apple leaves (and stems, etc) ground to homogeneity and sifted through a 200 micrometer filter.

Dusty, clingy, and ridiculously expensive, but with NIST-certified levels of over 20 different elements.