A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Just got home from my birthday present, best tickets I'll ever have (2nd row, right behind the plate) to a baseball game.

MIKE LEAKE WAS PERFECT THROUGH EIGHT.  Gave up a solid single and a walk in the ninth.  Fanned Mike Trout to hold the shutout.  Mariners win 10-0.

Wooooooof.

re: the post immediately above

Go here.  Scroll down to the twitter post with the video.  Watch the video.

At three seconds into it, the view switches to the center field camera.  Near the top at extreme left there's a grey-haired guy with his arms over the empty seat back in front of him (his right shoulder is cut off at the edge of the frame); a few seconds later he stands and gesticulates at the swing and miss.  That's me.  My wife is on my left (all but invisible until she too gesticulates).

Yeah, the best seats we'll ever have.

I have felt so exhausted this week. I don't know why; I had a fairly easy workload this week. But I have no energy. Even today, I was just watching YouTube videos and stood up to call my friends. I had to lie down for a bit. Maybe I'm sick; I have no other explanation.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this has been on my mind for a while.

A couple of months ago, I attended a trial class in Iaido. I really enjoyed it. I want to continue in it. The problem is, the majority of the classes are in Berkeley. Since I don't have a car and I work in the evenings, I can't attend the weeknight classes. Saturday mornings would be possible, but that would mean taking the 6 am train and travel two hours to get to the class. Mind you, I'm not familiar with Berkeley. I can do the San Francisco class, which is closer to me. I would still have to get up early, on a Sunday, no less. But I don't have to get up so early or travel as far.

Still, that's just one day a week, even though the class is two hours long. The cost of transportation and tuition would burn another $130 or so. Is it worth it? I'm still on the fence. I don't exactly earn a lot of cash, so the cost is something to consider. What do you think?

$130 seems expensive to me (but ... over what duration is that expense?  a week?  four months?), but I am a notably cheap bastidge.  I also really begrudge travel time; if I'm gonna do nothing, I want to do it on my own terms, and do I interpret your post correctly when you're talking six hours plus committed out of each Saturday, of which only  two are in the class itself (i.e., two hours each way to and from)?  If that was the only option, it would make it a tough choice; the options in Berkeley seem too remote and inconvenient to be worth it until you've at least sampled a second class and decide to go all-in on it. 

So that suggests to me that at least initially it's the Sunday morning class in town, or nothing at all.  And only you can decide if you are interested enough in it for that to be worth the time and the early Sunday.