A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Creative Writing Class, mid-term assignment prompt.

Hypothesize an inventory of pills that give you temporary (say, for half an hour or so) superpowers.

For the case at hand, suppose pills that convey Lightning Lad-type electrical energy blasts, and the ability to absorb same.

Now imagine four drunk goobers out in the woods at night, each having popped one of these pills along with their several pints of cheap lager, and they are throwing lightning bolts at each other, having drunken hysterics at the phenomenon.

Requirements: 3000 to 5000 words, no sex, no fatalities (except perhaps among the goobers), minimal f-bombs.  No other constraints on content.  Due date: One week from receipt of this prompt.

I put the bird feeders out for the first time this season, and it took a couple of hours before they were discovered by the birds (though the squirrel tried to find a way to plunder them rather more quickly).  First in were the two crows resident south of the house, who are only interested in the suet.  The juncos followed the crows in.

On 4/22/2017 at 7:55 AM, Cancer said:

I'll be in the March for Science here in Seattle in few hours.

If the forces of ignorance, avarice, and intolerance descend and strike me down, avenge me.

Another year, another march.  As before: If the forces of ignorance, avarice, and intolerance descend and strike me down, avenge me.

One of my brothers' grandparents-in-laws got too decrepit for their summer house up-country. They've sold it, but most of the bits and bobs they've parceled out among the family. They left a fair chuck o' stuff to my sis-in-law, and of course there was the wreck of a snowmobile that nephew O. was given a couple of years ago. Last Monday, bro A. and I went up there, to the quiet wilderness, to bring all the stuff home (bro A. and sis-in-law A. has actually bought a little farmstead, built in the eighteen nineties, but that's not relevant for this story. I am jelly, though.) 

As we were hauling and straining to load all the crap on the trailer (flippin' snowmobile weighed half a ton and wouldn't start, so we had to drag the *bleep*er), I had to take my jacket off. I folded it up neatly and placed it on a handy table, and later placed it in the back seat of bro. A's Volvo. Probably during this move, my Samsung fell out of the inner pocket. I noticed its absence somewhere halfway back to town.

No-one was left back at the cabin, and bro. A. had previous commitments so he couldn't ignore so he couldn't make another run up-country before dark. I had to borrow mom and dad's Peugeot and wake bro D. up to have someone keep me company and awake (I was getting pretty punch-drunk). We drove up in good time before sunset, bro D. found my phone before I even got out of the car, and drove home, errand done, XP earned.

But to have some fun, I've been texting bro A. about my adventures in questing for my Samsung. The adventure involves sleeping out under a wind-felled tree and in the branches of a huge pine, subsisting on lingonberries and longing for burgers, and running for my life from momma bears who objected to me trying to relieve their baby bear from their new toy -- my phone. I really enjoy the short form of text stories ...