A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

9 minutes ago, death tribble said:

My latest idea. Elephant Paratroopers

Long ago (mid-1970s, I think) I proposed Flamethrower Airborne as an absurd type of unit.  Add elephants and suddenly you have a mixed force with mobility.  Assuming, of course, that you can devise a way for both elephants and guys with flamethrowers on their backs to complete a parachute drop without breaking multiple legs.

(I admit that the absurd unit meta-concept was inspired by a deeply tongue-in-cheek essay titled "The Amphibious Cavalry Gap", I think in Analog.)

• 2 weeks later...

There's a sick/injured baby raccoon in my front porch. It can't even climb the fence. Its mother tried to help it, but to no avail. I am waiting for animal control to pick it up.

Where's Radagast the Brown when you need him? He'd be able to heal the poor thing. 

Update: Animal Control took the raccoon away. It put up a bit of a struggle, which is a good sign, but it wasn't as aggressive as it would normally be. Maybe the vets can help it.

There isn't a thread for soccer in this year, which is fine, since the various league seasons are just about over.

Last night Los Angeles FC played Seattle, in Los Angeles, for the Western Conference championship and right to advance to the MLS Championship which is to be played on Nov 10.  (Toronto and Atlanta play tonight in the other conference championship match.)

In the regular season, LAFC had a record of 21 wins - 9 ties - 4 losses, far and away the best record ever.  Arguably the strongest team in league history.  The oddsmakers had LAFC as 6-to-1 favorites in the conference championship match.

Seattle beat LAFC, in Los Angeles, 3-1 last night.  LAFC now goes home.

Analysts all season have been questioning Seattle's coaching and overall quality.  That includes Bobby Warshaw, MLS's own talking head analyst.

Seattle's coach, Brian Schmetzer, in a postgame comment with ESPN, limited his irritation to the statement: "I’ll let Bobby Warshaw tell me I we did it."

Warshaw at least was honest enough to acknowledge Schmetzer's point here, which includes the highlights video.

I'm going to be busy this weekend, so I'm posting this a few days early.

The 30th anniversary of the opening ("fall") of the Berlin Wall is this weekend.  I'm getting old.  

The better part of three of my early years were spent in the divided city; we arrived three days before Christmas 1962, departed in late summer 1965.  (The Wall had gone up in August 1961.)  My sister was born there.  This interval was most of my first grade year, and all of second and third.  We were there when President Kennedy visited the city (though Mom chose not to take her sons, aged 4 and almost 7, to try to see him through the crowds), and when he was shot in Dallas a few months later.  The Berliners mourned him openly, almost worshipfully, for the unambiguous actions he took right after the Wall went up indicating the US would not compromise on West Berlin's status.

The biggest house we ever lived in was there, though neither it nor the apartment building we also lived in still stand.  Neither do virtually all of the buildings used by the American Berlin Brigade, except the old headquarters compound (which still houses the American Consulate in the city), the old schools (now used as schools by the Germans), and the old Outpost Theater and the base library (both now part of the Allied Museum).  Even the old Tempelhof Airport, one of the life-sustaining endpoints of the Airlift of 1948-49 that fed the city when Stalin tried to starve the Western Powers out, has been closed.  The annual German-American Volksfest (we attended the 3rd, 4th, and 5th of those) no longer meets near the site of Truman Hall, core of the American activities in that era; it was shifted closer to city center after the 50th festival.

People trying to escape to the West were being shot in the attempt while we were there, as the Cold War was still at a fever pitch, with the Soviets still setting off nuclear "test" blasts for intimidation, rigidly controlling their Warsaw Pact satellites, and the space race seemed still being won by the Communists with their boosters that were in no way removed from their origins as ICBM  launchers.  West Berlin was "held" by brigade-strength forces from the US, UK, and France, while being surrounded by half a dozen Warsaw Pact divisions, deep in East Germany.  The spotlight of world attention never was far from the city, even as politics played out in a way that avoided actual warfare in Europe (Asia, Africa, and so forth ... not so much).

It seems like a strange environment to feel nostalgic about, but there it is.  Back in 2002 when my father died, my thoughts went there after hearing a story my mother told, one that I posted in an obscure place (scroll down that page to "MOO" to find it).  The times are different now.  I was last in the city in 1971, and I already know that very little of what I remember still exists.  Right now I'm ambivalent about visiting after I retire, but I won't rule it out; but if I were to go, I would somehow have to insulate myself from the disappointment of "You can't go home again", and that will be difficult.

I was at the train station talking with one of the other riders whom I had befriended last year. Then we noticed a teenager carrying a saber. It looked like one of the sabers used by the ROTC drill teams; my friend noticed the tip was broken. There was no scabbard. The kid was slowly twirling it around at times, and he boarded the same car that my friend and I did. My friend informed the engineer who told the kid it was illegal to bring such items on board. The sword was confiscated and kept in a safe place. The engineer promised to return the sword when the kid disembarked. Still, how did this guy manage to walk off his school with the saber?

Never a dull moment.

On 11/6/2019 at 4:16 AM, tkdguy said:

I was at the train station talking with one of the other riders whom I had befriended last year. Then we noticed a teenager carrying a saber. It looked like one of the sabers used by the ROTC drill teams; my friend noticed the tip was broken. There was no scabbard. The kid was slowly twirling it around at times, and he boarded the same car that my friend and I did. My friend informed the engineer who told the kid it was illegal to bring such items on board. The sword was confiscated and kept in a safe place. The engineer promised to return the sword when the kid disembarked. Still, how did this guy manage to walk off his school with the saber?

Never a dull moment.

I was about to say "hopefully a dull saber", but if he had hit someone accidentally whether it was dull or sharp would have made little difference (either way it would hurt).

The kid had wrapped tape around the blade to protect his hands, so it may not have been all that dull. But if it belonged to the school, there's no reason for it to be sharp.

My friend said the kid was crying all the way to his stop. He eventually got the sword back, with a stern warning. 

29 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Here Cancer,

If you were on the Moon or Mars say, would you see a transit of the Earth across the Sun ?

On the Moon ... when we on Earth see an eclipse of the Moon, then witnesses on the Moon would see a total eclipse of the Sun.  But the experience would be importantly different.  From our perspective, Moon and Sun are nearly the same angular size: the Moon barely is large enough to cover the whole solar photosphere, which is what lets us see the solar chromosphere and corona so strikingly in a solar eclipse.  Earth as seen from the Moon would be rather larger than the Sun in terms of angular size: Earth would cover the Sun with lots to spare, so the spectacle would be rather diminished, actually.

I know that yes, Earth (and its Moon!) does transit the Sun's disk as seen from Mars.  One such event happened in 1984.  There is a Wikipedia article about the phenomenon: link

What that article doesn't say is if such an event would be a "naked eye" thing, that is, whether a normal human observer with only "eclipse glasses" to prevent injury from the glare of the Sun (but giving no magnification) would be able to see Earth's disk traverse the Sun from a vantagepoint on Mars, as is true for a human observer on Earth during a transit of Venus (but is NOT true for a human observer on Earth during a transit of Mercury).  The answer to that is ... dicey.  Earth as seen from Mars would have about half the angular size of Venus as seen from Earth, which puts it near the limit of what a normally-sighted human can see.  My guess that such an observer would need a bit of aid to be sure of seeing it, not even as much as pretty standard 7-power binoculars... probably cheap opera glasses would be adequate, aside from the eye-protection issue.