Old Man

A Thread for Random Musings

What with all the computer games etc. out there now, when you search for "gibbering madness" among videos, you get various gaming junk.  You don't actually get any real gibbering madness.

Maybe I should change that.

Yesterday an unknown source of fuel oil began surfacing from the library west parking area....

(lead sentence from an announcement this morning relating to reduced capacity in a campus parking lot)

Sounds like a great opening line for a modern technohorror adventure.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Sounds like a great opening line for a modern technohorror adventure.

...or for a comedy involving nouveau riche hillbilly oil billionaires.

Meanwhile, I am beginning to see everything through a haze of long-term fatigue, and we still have another month or so of this faculty search nonsense to live through.

I confess to be completely baffled by discussions of the social and political structure in India, and cannot make heads or tails of a great many of Wikipedia's articles bearing on these things.

Youngest bro and his missus, A+A, has bought a little farm on the edge of nowhere. One can tell it's a bit banjo land, because the place names around are not entirely civilized. There's a small lake, a fishing spot, called Dyngkotjärn -- "The Tarn of The Filthy/Shitty Cow".

Through an accident of how my institution assigns email addresses, I get occasional come-hither junk emails, intended for one of our assistant vice presidents, from various scumsucking corporate types trying to sell their stuff.  One that appeared in the Clutter folder late last weeks has the subject line

How to Capture Alumni Data from LinkedIn the Right Way

It hadn't occurred to me before that LinkedIn was as bad as Facebook in its own way, but that seems obvious to me now.