A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

A lot of people seem to be crazy. Like anti-vaxxers, young earth creationists, and those who think you can cure cancer with crystals. But none of the crazy people think that they are crazy. Their views, in their minds, are perfectly justified.

And this worries me. I don’t think I’m crazy either. But if I hold some belief that is objectively crazy, I won’t know it. So sometimes I lie awake at night wondering “What’s my crazy?”

On 5/21/2007 at 1:57 PM, Cancer said:

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

There is no Starbucks in Starbuck, Washington. Of course, it pretty safe to say that for just about all X, there is no X in Starbuck, Washington. Cosmopolis it isn't.

Of course it isn't.  Cosmopolis is in Grays Harbor County.  Starbuck is in Columbia County.

On 10/8/2007 at 10:09 AM, Cancer said:

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

THINGS I HAVE LEARNED FROM 20+ YEARS OF TEACHING:

When going to the restroom immediately after lecture, wash your hands first to get the chalk dust off of them before going to the head itself. This is critically important when you are wearing navy blue slacks.

File under "Things obsoleted by COVID-19".

I've been doing too much stuff about Middle-earth: LOTRO, rpgs, videos. The following anecdote is proof.

I was doing some sword practice in the backyard this afternoon. At one point, my wooden sword damaged the top of one of the lawn chairs (Hey, that was my blind spot, okay?). Anyway, my first thought was "Elladan and Elrohir will laugh at me."

For years now, we have been feeding the local crows.  We have a rickety old lawn furniture table standing in the north yard (we refer to it as the "crow offering table").  Stuff which is edible, but no one in the house is willing to eat it (this includes the cats), will get put out on the offering table.  Old cat food the cats refuse; the boiled bones/skin/carcass when my wife makes chicken stock; cheese rinds and old lunchmeat we don't trust any more; the quarter-bag of corn chips the ants got into; this sort of stuff.  Usually we call them when we set things out.  The crows usually come promptly and generally approve of what we set out, though there's seasonal adjustments.

My wife saw something on the IntArWebz that bacon grease can be made into manageable bird food by adding raw oatmeal to it, and letting it stand overnight so the grease soaks into the oats.  (We keep some bacon grease in the freezer for cooking use, but we tend to generate it faster than we use it, so there's surplus.)  Last Friday we had BLTs for dinner (and I prepared the bacon in a pan in the broiler) so we tried the oatmeal thing on the resultant grease.

Summer is an interval where the crows generally aren't responsive.  Food is generally more available. The young'uns have fledged so the nests are no longer in use, and territories (and I think pair bonds) become fluid.  Consequently, it wasn't that big a surprise when they didn't come when I put out the old heavy-foil store-bought pie pan with the bacon/oats stuff in it during that afternoon.  Because it was breezy when I put it out, I put a rock in the pan as well so it wouldn't blow away.  I left the pan out overnight.

Come morning, that pan was clean.  There was some grease remaining under the rock in the pan, but otherwise it was as if I'd set a clean pan out there with a rock in it.  Obviously ... and no surprise at all ... we have night critters that come and peruse the stuff on the offering table.  My guess is raccoons, but rats, cats, possums, even coyotes are possible.  I think coyotes would have made off with the pan so I doubt the coyote hypothesis.  Makes me want to set up a nighttime camera and leave another pan out to see who comes.