A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

I admit I go back and read through old NGD threads.  Just finished a particular one.  Got me thinking.

Consider the global horror ...

The 2020 Olympic Games got quashed by the pandemic.  What if it had been a World Cup year instead?

And would it not have been the most delicious of justice if the pandemic had happened in 2022 and the Qatar World Cup got cancelled?  That would almost be enough to make me believe in a beneficent divine entity...

I'm watching Stargate SG1 on Comet, a nostalgia scifi channel. Never really got into it before, but it's fun and still looks good...after 20 YEARS. I admit I died a little when I saw how old it actually is. I didn't watch much but I remember it coming out. It was just a few years ago, wasn't it? Damn.
As a side note, I have a new scifi crush: Teryl Rothery who played Dr. Fraiser. So cute!

I forget how long some of the stars of the Our Gang franchise of the 1920s and 30s were getting fan mail, even love letters, after those shows were made.  I remember in about 1980 reading something indicating that those were still coming in at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

Ronnie O'Sullivan is through to the final of the Snooker World Championship. Both semi finals went to a final frame. Ronnie has come from behind to win in the 2nd round, quarter final and semi final. He beat in the semi someone who had always beaten him at the Crucible where the matches for the World Championship take place.

The guy he will play in the final is ranked lower than him by a factor of two so Ronnie goes in as the favourite.

21 hours ago, death tribble said:

There seems to be a change to the board and we now have a list of most contributors to a thread.

I don't mind that but hiding the "edit" button is extremely annoying. 

I have trouble controlling my fingers so I have to go back constantly to correct my spelling.

On 8/27/2020 at 4:31 PM, Cancer said:

Absolutely and totally related to a recent post of mine in the Longest Running Thread Ever ....

Anyone here have experience with LibreOffice?

With any luck at all, I will be switching an old laptop over to Ubuntu Linux today. LibreOffice is one of the first things I plan to install on it. I'll let you know what happens, if anything.

On 10/18/2006 at 4:11 PM, Cancer said:

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I know what the problem is.

We have been enduring a critical shortage of the throroughly inexplicable, causing us to go around and around gnawing the chewed-out old bubblegum of last week's conundrums. Humans are not creative enough to spawn wonders by and of themselves, except in mean and selfish ways, and progress toward enlightenment (or the Divine, if that be your preference) comes only when we grasp some new chunk floating past us as we wallow in the psychic septic tank of our collective mentality. We need an infusion of fresh stochasticity, a decoupling of events from precursors, and a rude reemergence of the importance of nonlinear terms into the temporal-spatial vector field that is the projection of reality onto our dim perceptive array, and a fresh invalidation of the pitifully simplistic models we have been forcing upon the data in our attempt to wrest the illusion of control of our Universe.

Let us then cast away Logic, that chastity belt of the mind, and engage in profligate intimacy with the primal forces of incomprehensible chaos. We shall awake refreshed in the morning, infused with a renewal of that sense of wonder which is the most cherished enduring emotion in our anthropoid forebrains. And we shall have enough sense not to count our pocket change as we get dressed afterward.

... same as it ever was.