A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Hey, the heirs of William J McDonald challenged his will leaving a million dollars to create an observatory, and in court there was testimony stating that "a strong interest in astronomy is not necessarily indicative of mental derangement."

The word "necessarily" isn't emphasized in the record.

Alex Dowsett from Great Britain wins stage 8 of the Giro. He won a stage at the Giro previously seven years ago which was also stage 8 but that was in his speciality the time trial. This was a standard road stage. What is far more important is that his win is the first for the new team Israel Start-Up Nation, which Chirs Froome will join next year.

Sadly Simon Yates has had to withdraw from the race after testing positive for Covid 19. The rest of his team are testing negative.

Yesterday was the rest day in the Giro and as with the Tour de France they did Covid 19 testing. As a result two teams have withdrawn as four team members in Michelton Scott and 2 members of Jumbo Visma have tested positive.

Then we had the race and the stage was won by Peter Sagan, his first victory in 15 months. I am certainly used to seeing Sagan win in the sprints at the end of a stage but here he got off into the breakaway and stayed there pushing for a solo win which came his way. The commentators thought it remarkable.

2 hours ago, tkdguy said:

You know you're a true rpg crafter when you paint real stones so they look like stone.

There are broad overlaps in comments about RPG crafting and what I remember reading in Model Railroad magazine back around 1970 while my father was dabbling that hobby.  One anecdote told about someone interested in building a scene of the loading facility of a coal mine, and he wasn't satisfied until he actually got some real coal and broke it down into bits of the correct size for the scale of his layout and included it in the appropriate places.