A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

It seems like we live in a world where the things that people don't want to do, or have done, somehow just become unpossible. The house next the place where I rent went for $2.5 million three years ago, but there are two vacant lots (large commercial lots, not house lots) which have been vacant for twenty years now. Why haven't they been built over with "mixed commercial/residential" developments? Who knows?

So, anyway, it sometimes seems like academics, particularly in the humanities treat the obligation to write and research as an unreasonable imposition. And in the first week of back to school, it has been discovered that the ASRS material handling system that replaced open shelves in the University of British Columbia's main research library some years ago is broken, and will take up to two months to fix. In the mean time, my alma mater basically doesn't have a research library. 

• 2 weeks later...

My employer has put little stand-alone HEPA air filters in our offices.  They are little white cylinders about 40 cm tall and 20 cm in diameter that stand on end.

I think they look like

Spoiler

daleks that have been reengineered to look less aggressive to a 21st Century human.  Sneaky daleks, if you will.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

My employer has put little stand-alone HEPA air filters in our offices.  They are little white cylinders about 40 cm tall and 20 cm in diameter that stand on end.

I think they look like

Hide contents

daleks that have been reengineered to look less aggressive to a 21st Century human.  Sneaky daleks, if you will.

AIR-FIL-TRATE!

didn't go into my e-mail for a few days but when I did, oh boy. One of my friends in America suffered a heart attack at home. Fortunately his wife got to him and performed CPR. He is now recovering in hospital. The friend I first made in America e-mailed me the news. So not much of a crank but a close scare. I went to their wedding 20 years ago. I have sent condolences to Chris, the wife, and had a reply.

Oh and please note, all replies to the Musings on Random Musings thread. Thank You.

After having the two come up consecutively on the iPod now plugged into my car's sound system, I realized that the releases of Glen Miller's In the Mood and Boston's Peace of Mind are closer together in time than the latter is to the present.