A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

I've been carefully avoiding the news since yesterday, so I completely missed the growth of Nicole.  A Cat 1 hurricane is less worrisome than other categories, but we still hope you are not adversely impacted.

Wind is starting to pick up, and rain should start in a couple hours. Fortunately, Nicole is moving fast, and though she could hit our area she won't stay long. Cautiously optimistic. 

Hoping Neil Patrick Harris GIF

My favorite guilty pleasure right now is watching the collapse of Twitter. 

Within one week Musk is already talking bankruptcy. He fired half the staff. The remaining staff are all threatening to quit if they haven't already. He suspended remote work. His blue check verification scheme is an utter disaster. The remaining advertisers are, well... 

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

FhSpt_IagAANJ0s?format=jpg&name=900x900

• 2 weeks later...

I've been at home with tummy troubles for four weeks now. My white throne reading materiel of choice these days is "Sweden's leading historical magazine", Populär Historia -- pop-history written by academics and very well-informed science journalists. In the latest issue there's a short bio of one of the Swedish Empire's lesser-known generals, one count Harald Stake. His last war was the Scanian War; at the time Stake was 78 years old and served as governor of recently- "acquired" Bohuslän, along the west coast towards Norway. He was charged with the defense of the province by Charles XI (known in legends as King Greycloak, but that's neither here nor there for this particular story).

Anyhoo, Stake sat at Bohus fortress, awaiting the coming of the Danish forces out of Norway under general Ulrik Fredrik Gyldenlöve. Gyldenlöve sent a letter urging the governor to capitulate; the old warrior answered with a few more words than "Nuts!", but I found his short little poem fitting for my own situation the past month: 

Sittande skitande fick jag ditt brev

Ju mera jag läste, ju mera det drev

Marken var bar och det fanns intet löv

Därför tog jag ditt brev och torkat min röv

If you suffer mental trauma from putting that through Google Translate, it's all on you.

• 2 weeks later...

So last week I had a training class that, for time zone reasons, required that I be online starting at 430am each day.  Realizing that I would likely need a source of caffeine handy, I went to the market Sunday night to replenish my supply of cold brew coffee.  Naturally, the store was sold out of the one I usually get, and being pressed for time I grabbed a bottle of the off brand option.

Now I consider myself the opposite of a coffee snob.  I drink coffee not because I like coffee, but because I need to stay awake and coffee is usually available.  I drink it black and I have had my fair share of burnt cheap coffee at airports and tradeshows and hotel lobbies.  When forced to go to Starbucks I order a black Americano on ice.  Cold brew works for me because there's no need for hot drinks here plus I can get the caffeine hit without having to wait for it to cool to a drinkable temperature.  So I just grabbed the off brand without putting much thought into it.

Damn if this wasn't the worst coffee I have ever had.  It somehow managed to be simultaneously the weakest and bitterest coffee I can ever remember tasting.  I took that first sip and was immediately confronted with the decision of whether to actually swallow it or just spit it back into the cup.  (I swallowed it.)  And then I sat there looking at the cup thinking "I paid money for this".  Then I went to the fridge and got a diet pepsi.

But worst of all is that I have to confront the possibility that I might actually be, on some basic level, a coffee snob.