A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Guest Worldmaker

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I was listening to the Limbaugh-substitute the other day, and he was trying to make some point about the Bush twins being virtuous because they just graduated from college, but look that Alexandra Kerry... she's showing her tits in France.

I mean, really... how low do some people have to go here? What do any of these three women have to do with anything when it comes to politics? And since when does graduating college convey virtue? Or showing your tits convey lack of same?

It's 5.30am. I've just spent most of the last 17 hours sweating blood playing catch-up on an Open University course (main distance learning institution here in Britain) to prepare myself to write an assignment in the hope of getting it posted before the post office closes this afternoon, in time to make a Friday deadline. I spent most of yesterday working on another assignment for a different course yesterday, with the same deadline. Not to put too fine a point on it, I'm completely f****d.

I'm off now to catch a couple of hours' kip before getting back to work. Sheesh! ;)

There was a fire yesterday which has destroyed a lot of British art from such people as Damien Hirst who gave us Shark cut in half in Formaldehyde and Tracy Emin who did a tent with the names of all her lovers on it. And all owned by Charles Saatchi.

This is a tragedy. That it didn't happen any sooner I mean.........

There have been quite a few documentaries on D-Day of late and the Longest Day has been reshown on TV. But is the same thing happening on American TV ?

However I am disturbed by what I saw last night about modern day living. It was a documentary about a 'documentary film' along the lines of MTV's Jackass called Bumfight Cause for Concern. The people who made it were teenagers in San Diego who filmed kids fighting; bums fighting; bums doing silly things (ie dangerous) for money and being humiliated all to a hard rock soundtrack. One of the people responsible was interviewed and just could not accept that what he or his friends had done was wrong or in any way morally questionable.

The two bums who were featured in Bumfight were interviewed. One is now sober; the other still lives on the street.

It then followed on with a group in Vegas who had filmed their night time activities which usually culminated in beating people up. Quite a few of this group are on trial for assault and attempted murder after stoning a car speeding away from one group of their colleagues. One of the passengers sustained severe injuries but was not killed. He will never have full vision though.

Worse to come when four Australians set out to do their own Bumfight video. When their local bum would not cooperate, they set him and his shelter on fire. They have been charged with murder.

The guy who produced the original video was ripped off by a business partner but still got $1 million for the video (with his mates). What his business partner has made doesn't bear thinking about. But the producer has now made a video with mentally ill people and prostitutes. Ever felt disgusted about a fellow human who should know better ?

So, I'm doing the obligatory last minute "must get done ASAP 'cause the quarter's closing" stuff.

It was a cue sheet on AC/DC's Back in Black.

I loved that album. Wore out a couple of tapes of it. So, I mentioned it to one of my coworkers, and she said she loved it too

So, we were talking about "Given the dog a bone" and she had no idea that the song was about Oral Sex from an ugly woman.

Sigh. Children today.

D

Funny Bit of the Day

"Hallo? No, Mr. Rossi is not in his office presently. Yes, I can handle that myself. Just let me have a look at your file. What's your name please? Ok wait. (seconds later) Ok I'm looking at your file right now. No, no. No, I'm sorry, there's nothing like that. Yes I'm sure. I told you I'm reading your file right now."

I overheard the above today in my cafeteria, from a guy with a cellphone who was, of course, not reading a file at all (he wasn't even in his office), but was helping himself to a pastry and cappuccino. Cellphones work wonders. :D

I saw the stupidest thing ever recently.

A 84ish model year Olds '88. That grey/tan color that all mid 80s gm cars that don't get detailed seems to fade into. A couple of primer patches.

And it's on 22 inch rims, with spinners. :eek::shock::jawdrop:

The tires and rims are worth way more than the car.

What the hell is this guy thinking?

D

My wife relates the following.

She was following a car. It had a bumpersticker on the back. Had a pinkish stripe, an off white stripe, and a baby blue stripe, all vertical, next to each other.

She got closer, and realized it was one of those "These Colors Don't Run" American flag bumper stickers.

I wonder if there's some sort of message there.

These colors don't run, but sure they do fade away.

Hmmm.

D

Guest Worldmaker

I bleached and scrubbed all 34 of the the cutting boards today. And afterward, while I was trying to recover from a bleach-fume induced headache, I pulled a quarter inch piece of wire from the steel wool out of my left thumb.

And yet, when I look back on it, all I can say is that I had a good day today.

Scary Bit of the Day

I was dining with some older friends of mine tonight. Rosario, one of them, had just received an invitation for a get-together with his old high school class - people he hadn't seen for almost 30 years. He was quite excited about it; besides, the "girl" (48 woman, actually, but Rosario still calls her a girl) who had organized the get-together had gone through quite a bit of work to track down over 30 persons he hadn't seen in 30 years.

As Rosario is showing me some photos from his high-school years (and did he look funny when he still had all his hair), I ask him, "So, do you think they'll all make it or will someone miss the event?"

Rosario shrugs and says, "Not all of them. One of the girls died five years ago". I look at the photos and, without thinking, point my finger at one of the girls and ask "Her?".

Rosario looks at me in amazement and mutters "Yes, why... how did you know?". Fact is, I do not know how did I know. I've been trying to rationalize that, to no avail. There was no visual clue from Rosario - he was looking at his meal, not at me or the photos.

There were some twenty girls in that photo, but it seemed to me glaringly obvious that she had to be the one that died. I just had the sharp feeling, by looking at that picture, that she was somehow destined to die before the rest of the class.

Guest Skaramine

I'm a Bejeweled addict.

I can listen to the music and clink gems all day long.

Someone save me!

But not before I get $20 of enjoyment out of this. :D

Looks like we might have a day without rain. I think we got about 4 inches in the past three days. It wouldn't be so bad if it all didn't come down at once. The drainage area behind my house looked like a whitewater river more than the gentle creek it usually is.

Guest Worldmaker

My bell pepper looks fully ripe and ready to pick, but its been close to three weeks now and its not turning red like its supposed to. Do they turn red after you pick them? Was I sold a green bell pepper plant instead of the red bell I wanted?