A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Just got back from the surgery, pain killers still in force, I'm going to be random before lying down. Everything looks like it went fine. I'll be glad when I don't have the drainage out my nose. It's annoying and my nose is currently outfitted with a hammock.

Guest Worldmaker

I think that my favorite piece of Shakespearean dialog may well be from Much Ado About Nothing. Specifically:

"Were I a man, I would eat his heart in the marketplace!" -- Beatrice

Kitty hadn't come in for about a week for her daily meal. Today she showed up starving, panting, and NOT pregnant.

Obviously, she's had her kittens but I don't know where. After she ate, she left via my patio. I tried to quietly follow her, but I was spotted. Whenever she sees me she starts to follow me (and doesn't go to wherever she hid the kittens).

It's just got me worried. We hit are second day of 100 degree temperatures today and I'm hoping the kittens are somewhere cool.

Guest Worldmaker

Both the DVD player in the living room and the bedroom broke down, just as I received Elephant from Netflix.

Guest Worldmaker

Today's story is entitled Fun With Third-Party Bill Collectors:

Phone Rings. Caller ID says "Resource Recovery Management". Goody... I've had big laughs with these guys before.

"Hello?"

"Cheryl?"

"Do I sound like Cheryl?"

"No, I mean, is Cheryl available?"

"No, she's not available. She's married."

"What does... sir, I asked if she was available."

"And I said that she isn't. She's married."

"Sir, is she there, is she around you?"

"Sure, she's around me all the time. She's my mother, after all."

"Thank you, sir... I'll try again later."

Coast To Coast AM makes me happy, not as happy as when Art Bell was sitting in the chair, but it still makes me happy.

An amusing anecdote from tonight (I'm listening as I surf):

Wife: "why do all of the callers on this show sound like they're on drugs?"

Me: "that's not the caller, dear. that's the guest."

Wife: "ah..."

Guest Worldmaker

I know I'm going to sound like an insensitive bastard with this musing, but I can't get it out of my head.

To whit: I have serious doubts about people who anthropomorphize their pets to ridiculous lengths. I am not currently a pet owner, but I have been, and while I've loved my dogs I never believed they were capable of human-level thought processes the way I've seen some pet owners do with their own animals.

Been trying to watch Starship Troopers again. Hate it but weirdly drawn to watch it also. (The gore puts me off.) Hermit was right when he said this (popcorn movies thread), especially the "dude" phrase:

All I Know is it is like watching a glorified Propaganda film between bugs from space killing or getting killed' date=' with the occaisional hot chick in uniform. The movie oozes machoismo to the point of wonderful stupidity, yet also has a few moments of 'dude, that almost had depth!'. Then the nigh moment is gone, and you're back to watching bug guts fly. :)[/quote']

The remaining staff in my department at work have survived six rounds of layoffs over two years and a few months. The firm has gone from 700 employees down to 300 over that time. It's been like being a contestant on survivor, with all the attendant bribery/backstabbing to not be the guy laid off.

Word is that we're being sold by our new buyout masters in the next month (bids are all in). And now, instead of desperately dodging the layoff bullet, everyone's coming in to see me to say, "Hey, if you're asked to give up a couple of bodies, well, let me know because, you know, the package is good and I wouldn't mind having the summer off." Apparently, nobody wants to be the guy to turn off the lights on the way out, or possibly miss getting that all-important severance package.

No more, "Hey, John, I'm going for a coffee. Want one?" How the world turns. One day cock of the walk, the next a feather duster. Play something Ton-Ton, something...tragic.

I'm so pissed I want to chew nails right now. I was told by the HR department lead a year ago that, as a non-salary employee I'd be eligible for more vacation time this year. Turns out that she meant I get a day and a half per year, so after 4 years I get a 2 week vacation period.

Considering I'm the only non-salary employee in my department, as well as severely underpaid (I'm making nearly $20k under what is average for my job) I'm a very not happy man right now.

Anyone else reading Nightwing? The end of last week's issue surprised me a bit. It was interesting to see Nightwing's choice when he realized that the Bludhaven system had failed. As well as his reaction to his choice. I know Nightwing is supposed to be the first of this summer's "Secret Identity" stories at DC, but I wonder if there will be the Bruce/Dick discussion before that happens and how Grayson will handle it.

I was waiting for Desmond to say something along the lines, "And now I will go after your adopted father." "No, not the slightly foppish and vapid playboy Bruce Wayne. My adopted father has no way to counter your evil mobster ways."