A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I listen to people talk about the War in Iraq and the War on Terrorism. I have finally decied that we are still fighting a war that started in 610 A.D. and will not end until either the Muhammadists, or everyone else, is utterly defeated.

Guest Skaramine

Yesterday, joy of joys, I discovered Silent Hill 3 for the PC at Best Buy. Further joy of joys, it was a mere twenty smackers, and I had a $5 coupon. (I also got Clerks Uncensored too, for only $10).

Then I got it home, and discovered that it didn't support my video card. The MX series doesn't have programmable Vertex/Pixel shader support. Oh horrid day.

I decided to do some google searching online and I found the Gamershell message board already talking about this. Where everybody else was going "you farging idiot, if you can't read the requirements, go buy a bloody playstation!" (no where did it say that the Geforce 4 MX was not supported - especially since the GeForce 3 TI WAS - simple logic says the next stage card should handle that shiznit), one kind soul said "If you want to play Prince of Persia or Silent Hill 3 on your MX card, just get 3D Analyze from 3dfx." I downloaded the program, and lo and behold, after a little bit of tweaking (the program gets the processor to do the work instead of the graphics card), Silent Hill 3 is now playable on my computer.

Screw the morons, but God bless the kind and helpful souls.

Guest Worldmaker

Heard on the local AM news/talk station today: "The only other actor to influence American politics as much as Ronald Reagan was John Wilkes Booth."

Good line, I think.

My wife is on another interview today. (in 9 minutes according to the system clock). Wishing her luck and slightly jealous in that she just started picking up interviews in what to me was easy. I've had two interviews in the last eight months. Granted, I'm going for jobs at 3-5 times the pay scale...

This is my first post on the new PC.

Gary Ciaramella pretty much had me buy all the stuff so that he could assemble it. It took months.

So far it's OK, except that the one video file I saved doesn't seem to be coming through on the Media Player (seems to be audio only). But I also got a new edition of Windows, so maybe they're incompatible.

I had several other things I wanted to buy for the PC setup, but due to a household budget crunch, that will have to wait. For instance, I can't get City of Heroes yet.

However, Gary did install Freedom Force.

"FOR PATRIOT CITY!!!!"

[smashes a helpless park gate]

JG

Saw the first part of Identity Crisis last night and Elongated Man's wife is murdered. Which brings me to a point can't the companies give one couple a happy life ?

Then Identity Disc for Marvel has Juggernaut, the Vulture, the Sandman and Bullseye teaming up. The person behind it seemingly ''kills'' the Sandman by melting his body with hydrochloric acid.

Two things. Juggernaut is with the X-Men and is now a good guy and Sandman has just featured in the Official Handbook to Spiderman 2004 so why kill him in one comic and feature him in another ?

Continuity anyone ?

Guest Worldmaker

Why does God allow utter morons to have children? Could it be that He actually wants the world to be populated with the spawn of complete idjits?

I am an independent and a centrist. I haven't paid GOP dues in over six years and do not particularly care for either major party. I do typically check the republican box when I register in the primaries because you have to pick someone, but I'd prefer if I could just declare myself an independent. So now, because I have checked the box, I have received a rather large glossy picture of W.

I did not ask for the picture, nor do I have any particular use for it. My home is not a government office. The President's (any President's) portrait will not be prominantly displayed in my home. I do not fall into the camp of people who have deep visceral loathing for the man - I have points of agreement and disagreement with his policies - but I don't particularly care for him either.

I should have no qualms about throwing the picture in the garbage. I did not ask for this picture and do not need it. But at the same time it is a picture of our President in the sense that the office of the President means something and I have an instinctive desire to do anything other than throw it in the garbage, which seems somehow unpatriotic, the man currently in the office being irrelevent to the matter at hand.

Stupid, but true.

Well, we finally know what has been wrong with Starlight Mage, our older Maine Coon.

It started when Mage, who has always been a powerful jumper, started missing his jumps. He'd land just short, or smack his rear legs on something he should have cleared.

Then we noticed that at odd times one of his rear legs or the other would collapse on him. The vet said that he appeared to have an issue with luxating patellas. i.e. his kneecaps keep slipping out of place.

We noticed that he tended to straighten his rear legs out all the time. The vet said that was consistent with luxating patellas.

He stopped trying to walk, and would just drag his rear legs behind him, with the legs extended fully out to the side. The vet couldn't figure out why, as there didn't seem to be any injury.

He stopped using the litterbox. And we couldn't believe this was due to his knees anymore.

This morning we got Mage an MRI. And found out that he has a tumor pressing on his spinal cord.

We're not sure where we're going from here. The tumor is operable, but it seems like either way we're looking at a pretty short life expectancy. And now it becomes a question of quality of life.

I really didn't need this this decade.

Doc

I can't seem to stop eating these choc. chip large cookies at work. I've been having 1 a day...today 2! Though I did something very bad by having the 2nd one instead of a decent lunch.

What's in these things, crack? You'd think so.

I have GOT to stop eating these!