Suggestion for crafting teleportation circle spell?

Basically, the idea is that the caster spends five minutes creating a magic circle and casting a spell, and once done, the spell lasts for about twenty minutes (as per 1 lasting charge). The problem is, is that it is supposed to be used by up to eight people at a time, and anyone can use it, for as long as the spell lasts. Effectively, it gives anyone who stands in the circle the ability to use a megascale teleport to anywhere on the planet for no END, as the magic of the circle does all the work.

I considered just using gate, but the way it is supposed to work is that it is not only one way, but allows the user to go anywhere they want. They just stand in the circle, think about where they want to go, and they suddenly appear there, so a gate that leads to one place wouldn't work either.

I have some ideas, I just don't know the right advantages to use, or at least, what ways to use them.

I was thinking Usable on others, no conscious control and uncontrolled, but I am not entirely sure how to go about all the details, simply because while it takes concentration, incantations, gestures, etc, to make it, once made, using it takes no time, so no one else has to spend that amount of time doing all the rituals and such, so I don't know how granting the powers to others would work, especially since I am possibly granting it to others beyond the original 8.

Any advice would be appreciated, and my thanks in advance.

• 11 months later...

Edition could have implications.

From my melange of rule memories, if I were asked about this by one of my players I would be asking them to describe in game terms (which you have done) and then sit while I run through mechanical questions to see where the true path might lie.

This spell, once cast, sits in one place that people have to move to.  When they do, they can teleport themselves and up to eight others to any location in the world??

If that is the case then how do they avoid the issues of blind teleporting?  Is that a risk they take?  Does the power have to give them the ability to 'see' their target location?

I am thinking in terms of a mega-scale teleport, x8 mass.  I am thinking Immobile physical manifestation.  I am thinking of making the physical manifestation a +0 universal focus limitation.  The focus provides for anyone holding it to use the power, that is both good and bad like any universal focus.  It is worth nothing because all the limitation it might have is tied up in the physical manifestation.

If there is a need to provide targetting there should also be a clairsentience, only to target the teleport, requires INT roll (to clearly enough picture the location for the TP to get a fix).

Doc

This sounds like some type of ritual for teleport.  What immediately comes to my mind is:

1. OAF arrangement
  2. Extra Time: Just to activate
  3. Constant
  4. Safe Blind Teleport (instead of clairvoyance)
  5. Usable nearby and/or area of effect
  6. gestures, incantations, skill roll, etc.

• 3 months later...

Gate may not work exactly the way you want it, but you can still add the Advantages and Limitations that make your teleportation Gate-like. The way I see, the Gate (-1/2) Limitation is the only thing that defines the Gate as being a Gate and thus two-way and see-through. The others, Area of Effect, Constant, and UOO can still be applied to a Teleportation power without making it inherently two-way or otherwise Gate-like.

Time Limit as an Advantage seems like it might do the job to allow this pseudo-Gate to be open for 20 minutes, but Uncontrolled has a natural shut-off mechanism, which could be your 8 people maximum, and seems to fit the power description much better. Usable As Attack and Trigger seem to go well together, if the character wants to teleport other people without necessarily controlling who can go through and who can't (ex. whoever steps into the circle, right?), or possibly Increased Mass adder, however, Area of Effect and Constant seem to do the job as per Gate.

Will definitely need Extra Time, Incantations and Gestures. 

Safe Blind Travel, as well as No Range Modifier, No Relative Velocity, and MegaScale should be used as you see fit.

So here are my questions:

1. What exactly are the implications of the Area of Effect advantage for a teleportation UAA? Is it an area of effect centered around the person granted the power? Or can it necessarily be defined as a spot on the ground, like a gate? The rules for Range of Powers states that, normally, a Power with the Range of Self cannot have the Area of Effect Advantage applied to it, nor can they be made to work at range. But only if having the UOO Advantage applied first. It's tricky, because the power, when set up, is not yet being used as an attack. That's probably why Gate was defined as Usable Simultaneously. Before, it seemed like either UAA and Trigger or AoE and Constant were workable pairs, but the more I think about it the more it seems all four are needed. You need UAA before you can apply AoE anyway.

2. If the UAA Teleportation is indeed a spot on the ground, is Trigger necessary? given what's said above, I think it must be.

Food for thought... gotta sleep.

Teleportation Circle: Teleportation 5m, No Relative Velocity, Area Of Effect (4m Radius; Circle denoted on the ground with Gestures; +1/4), Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), Limited Range (Teleportation Circle must be cenetered on a point no more than 5m from Character; +1/4), Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; Teleportation Triggered when any Character enteres the Teleportation Circle; +3/4), Usable As Attack (+1), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, MegaScale (1m = 100 km; +1 1/2) (90 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

That's what I came up with. How close am I?

One trouble with giving Teleportation AoE and changing its range from Self to Ranged, is that power has two different ranges. A range at which a gate can be created and a distance one can be teleported.