Champions Villain (Volume) 4: Organizations; What Do You Expect Out Of This?

steriaca

Star Guard International (SHADO tribute) were out of Super Agents. They still around in any form?

I just realized that the SHADO reference meant you were thinking of Near Space Defense from Super Agents. No, there's no dedicated anti-alien combat force in the current official CU. However, UNTIL does have an orbital space station, "Gateway," as well as a permanent lunar base, which are early-warning observers for alien visitors/ invaders.

I just realized that the SHADO reference meant you were thinking of Near Space Defense from Super Agents. No, there's no dedicated anti-alien combat force in the current official CU. However, UNTIL does have an orbital space station, "Gateway," as well as a permanent lunar base, which are early-warning observers for alien visitors/ invaders.

Yes! That's the one. NSD.

So... probably more forgotten by the powers that be than actively nixed? IIRC pretty much nothing was ever done with them after Super Agents (which was a 3e product, after all...)

Well, NSD presupposes a certain relationship between Earth and aliens -- only known aliens apparently hostile, their existence not publicly acknowledged, a secret non-governmental agency in a covert war with them -- which doesn't apply to the official CU in either its 4E or 5E incarnations. There humanity is well aware that multiple alien civilizations exist, some hostile and aggressive, others friendly.

Yes, NSD. Memory fail. I have Super Agents sitting in my reading pile. I would bump it up, except that I've just blah blah-ed about Traveller, and I've got my drama about Star Girl to work up, and... darn, I have a bunch of gamerishness to deal with.

Before I move onto serious stuff. :(

Well, NSD presupposes a certain relationship between Earth and aliens -- only known aliens apparently hostile, their existence not publicly acknowledged, a secret non-governmental agency in a covert war with them -- which doesn't apply to the official CU in either its 4E or 5E incarnations. There humanity is well aware that multiple alien civilizations exist, some hostile and aggressive, others friendly.

What about an evil version? They want to keep earth alien free? (Please no political commentary)

...and if you read the headlines it actually says "Champions Inc in Hostile Takeover".

He's not firing some mere board members... he's firing Seeker, Defender, Solitaire, Quantum, Obsidian and Jaguar!

(WHY did I never buy that one back in the day?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2017 at 6:24 PM, steriaca said:

So, after hearing about this great book, what should we be expecting about this book? What organizations should be in it? Why? Who should be put aside? Why?

First Off, an update on PRIMUS and the status of the Super-Soldier Program.

Then  a Revision of SAT [Special American Tactics] WITHOUT the Anti-Mutant Mentality, we've got enough of that from GENOCIDE.

Speaking of which, it needs to be revised along with IMAGE it's pro mutant Counterpart.

Then Add a Japanese version of PRIMUS as well as a Korean/Chinese/Vietnamese counterpart.

Then bring back AXIS as a Neo-Nazi/White Supremacist org with tech advancements.

1 hour ago, PhantomGM2602 said:

First Off, an update on PRIMUS and the status of the Super-Soldier Program.

Then  a Revision of SAT [Special American Tactics] WITHOUT the Anti-Mutant Mentality, we've got enough of that from GENOCIDE.

Speaking of which, it needs to be revised along with IMAGE it's pro mutant Counterpart.

Then Add a Japanese version of PRIMUS as well as a Korean/Chinese/Vietnamese counterpart.

Then bring back AXIS as a Neo-Nazi/White Supremacist org with tech advancements.

Are you crazy? PRIMUS and SAT are heroic agent groups. Sure, there are some "bad apples", but the group as a whole is not evil. It's a VILLAIN book, not a HERO book.

What I want in this book.

DEMON: agents up to Outer Circle Morbains. Updated to include what happened after the fall (or rise) of Black.

VIPER: agents up to nest leaders, some members of the Dragon Branch.

IHA: Minuteman robots. Scouter agents.

ARGENT: ARGENT agents, scientist, and the Salesperson agents. Prehaps one or two super powered villains associated with ARGENT.

WITCH: WITCH daughter agents, WITCH mother agents, and WITCH baba (top leader).

Dutchess Industries: Security agents. (DI are not actually a villain organization, but they are controlled by the Dutchess, a member of the VIPER Council of 30).

PAGEN: PAGEN agents.

Cult of the Red Banner: Agents, some supers, and leadership.

And more.

3 hours ago, PhantomGM2602 said:

The Japanese version of PRIMUS had the groundwork laid for it in Monster Island. In fact it comes in three parts: Bureau 17 is in charge of Monster Island, as well as countering giant monster and alien threats generally. Bureau 18 handles supervillains and super-criminal organizations like VIPER; while Bureau 19 deals with supernatural menaces. MI provides substantial information and game stats about B17, but only skims the other two, so those could be given more attention (but it would be easy for a GM to extrapolate from the B17 material). Of course all the existing write-ups could be updated to 6E.

I wouldn't be surprised if China's Tiger Squad is all we get about China's government answer to supercrime.

2 hours ago, steriaca said:

Cult of the Red Banner: Agents, some supers, and leadership.

That we essentially already have:

• 2 months later...

So, have we scared the writers away from doing this book? I haven't heard any news about it since it was announced.

Then again, with some of us inserting SAT, PRIMUS, and UNTIL are somehow 'enemy' groups just because they are in the same profession as the heroes...I can understand them not giving us any news at all.

On 6/28/2018 at 10:36 PM, steriaca said:

So, have we scared the writers away from doing this book? I haven't heard any news about it since it was announced.

Then again, with some of us inserting SAT, PRIMUS, and UNTIL are somehow 'enemy' groups just because they are in the same profession as the heroes...I can understand them not giving us any news at all.

The page announcing that proposed publication schedule is gone from the High Rock Press website. I haven't read a peep about CVV4 there, on these forums or any other site discussing Hero. A web search for it turned up squat. I think it reasonable to assume this project is either in indefinite limbo or outright dead. :(

Outside of doing rewrites of existing agencies, I’d like to see a private for-profit agency which looks for applications of superpowers for real world purposes. Then the agency goes out and recruits the super for the job whether the super was a hero or villain.

I had an agency called S.P.I.R.E. (Super Powers Investgative Research Enterprises) which did that.

For example, they might find a religious organization which was wanting to build a temple on a mountaintop then find a super who could carry 50 ton blocks of stone up a mountainside and bring them together.

Or bring together people who can work easily underwater with groups doing underwater research. Or bring together supers who access inter-dimensional energy with programs looking at such energies.

In my campaign, SPIRE would contact villains while in prison and assess their suitability for employment. Then show up at parole hearings for some of them to testify on behalf of the convict and promise him immediate employment if released immediately. Or in a few situations, actually provide legal help to the prisoner.

It’d tick off the heroes who mostly wanted villains to stay in jail. But some villains actually reformed. And other villains who weren’t actively being hunted by the police at that point in time would contact SPIRE first when they needed money rather than starting a crime spree.

And SPIRE offered career and emotional counseling for any super regardless of ability to pay or whether the super agreed to work for SPIRE or not.

For a villains book, the ultimate goal of the organization would have to change, of course.

In addition to all its legitimate activity, It would be falsely testifying at parole hearings in order to get unrepentant villains released. Perhaps it also secretly helps recruit supers for illegal activities Perhaps its counseling services tries to identity psychological weaknesses, uncover secret identities, etc. Perhaps it offers free medical services or otherwise tries to collect supers’ DNA for their own use or for sale.

There’s a lot of possibilities for an organization which cultivated an image of respectability and which has extensive contact with supers on both sides of the law.