The Adventures of "Fish Guy" (Superhero fiction)

Hermit

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:38 PM, BoloOfEarth said:

Very nice, Hermit!

I was just thinking earlier today that it would be nice to have another installment of Fish Guy... and here it is!

So, now I'm thinking it would be nice to be holding a winning lottery ticket while Danica McKellar gave me a massage...

I'm thinking it would be nice to be holding and massaging Danica McKellar while she gave me a winning lottery ticket

Lucius Alexander

Instead, I have a palindromedary. That's better than nothing. In fact, nothing's better than a palindromedary! Except a paradox, and now I have that too!

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2018 at 6:40 PM, pinecone said:

Well, just to mix in some...I think you should go for 50/50 the heroes get a fight they don't want, and find a way to win for a negotiated peace. "We have our own strenths, just because we are yong does not mean we can be treated as less than equal" you know, comic book stuff. ?

I think you're on the money there

I've been trying not to badger you (or Lucius you, or BoloOfEarth you, for that matter), but it's now been well over a month since the last installment.  I'm sure Lawnmower Boy is jonesing for his next Pogo fix.  And, uh, I'd kinda like to know what happens next, too.

Please, don't make us finish this for you.  (If so, I'm imagining something along the lines of Fish Guy, The Musical as co-directed by Michael Bay and Zack Snyder.)

Yeah, I could have just posted "Bump" but where's the fun in that?

3 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Understood.  So, if I win the lottery, can I hire a professional in-home caregiver to take care of that person and free up some of your time?  :D

Hell, I'd even try to get off my duff and do a novella starring the character of your choice among them.

:D

(I hope to do more later this weekend, but though I better put this up just to ensure I didn't break my word to you guys)

La'Vesh tilted his head at this display, "You live in a world of telepaths and unstable individuals, furthermore, your calling, while noble, almost guarantees continuous contact with them. Eventually, there is a strong probability whatever we share with you might get out to the wrong beings. This is our last request, turn over all samples and data for the cancer cure now," then, as if unused to raising his voice, he added, "Please."

"Oh well, the magic word makes it all better then," Tornado said from the doorway.

"There are times that is quite true," Doctor Salem spoke, "Now isn't one of those times I suspect."

"No, no it's not," Lady Obsidian agreed with her peer while glancing up at the screen, "If you want to steal away a chance to save hundreds of thousands of lives from our house, you're going to have to fight for the cure and take it from us. That's not a boast, or a threat: it's a requirement, sure we can't talk?"

On the coms, in our ear pieces, I heard her voice speaking to us all, "Anyone have any ideas? Delaying this allows us to make multiple copies, maybe slip one out via Pinprick."

"Got it," Valentino said and stepped forward, speaking to La'Vesh's image, "You won't find us easy prey! You see, laced within the very structure of this base, undetectable by your sensors, is a material we call," He paused for emphasis? "korbominite. This, material is installed in many superhero bases all over earth. If you attempt a teleportation invasion, it will trigger a reverse wave, rendering your ship's shields and power systems null, and dead in space."

This sounded familiar, old TV shows that my uncle used to, oh lord.

The alien from an advanced species tilted his head, and looked at Tornado, "This sounds most impressive."

"Oh, it is," Tornado assured him.

"It would have sounded even more impressive if Shatner had said it," La'Vesh continued.

"Ahhhh," Tornado turned to the others, "Sorry guys, he's seen the show."

"We are observers, you have no idea how much of your collective culture we've sorted through, from the low and high forms, and doubly so any hints into your own ambitions for the future. May  I say,  you humans have had some excellent tales arise from your wonderings?" The tone was a little too placating.

"Kind of you to say," I said, getting an idea of my own, "Who would you say was your favorite captain in that franchise?"

"Well, the Next Gen's captain was possibly best suited to my own culture's sensibilities…" He started to say.

"Yeah, but he could be a little dull don't you think?" I replied, "You know, compared to the original's wagon train to the stars approach?"

"Please, the number of reckless temporal violations alone should disqualify him from top spot, one needs…"

Tornado got what I was doing, and joining in with his own opinions of favorite captain and while that went on? It bought us an extra ten minutes. Advanced they might be but Hyadesians seemed to not have been ready for the Earthly tactic of shaking the cage, stirring the pot, aka trolling the fandom.

I'm not sure what Lady Obsidian had the others do with the sample, but it bought her time for them to do it.

"but how can you deny Stewart's superior acting ability?"

"It's the character we're talking about, not the actor"

"But the actor brings the character to life and…" La'Vesh stopped as realization hit him. "Well, this is embarrassing. I realize what you're doing now."

"Don't feel bad," I assured him, "Happens to everyone."

"Kind of you," La'Vesh sighed, "We're going to attack you now, you realize this?"

"We figured," Lady Obsidian said.

"Yes, well, I suspect we will over power you through superior technology and numbers, but how ever it turns out," He  said.

"Yes?" I got curious.

"Let us leave the details of that delaying tactic out of the report. Please? I have an Evaluation in three of your weeks."

"We'll think about it," Lady Obsidian said.

"Best one can hope for," La'Vesh says then turned to his own com off screen "For the Good of billions"

And I heard voices, alien voices, translated to chant the same "For the Good of Billions!" Like a battle cry.

For some reason, the  fact they were sure they were the good guys gave me a chill.  We superheroes are folks prone to high ideals. We keep up the good fight because the option is unthinkable. We had the right on our side and there was no turning back. Most villains don't have that resolve. These guys? They were our adversaries but they weren't villains.  They were here to 'save us', and now my team and I were about to be on the receiving end of that equation.

Bursts of light erupted all over the base, and out of each flash, dozens and dozens of alien soldiers poured through.

And it was too late to be scared, too late to ponder turning back. A group of less than a dozen superheroes against what was looking to be hundreds of troops.

It was Lady Obsidian who brought us to focus, "Family, friends, I want these people out of our house." And her armor came alive with namesake hued force!

"Yes, Ma'am" I nodded and leaped for the first one I could see.

The fight, well, no, the battle was on.

It's a pity you can only "like" a post once.

Well done - this didn't seem rushed or thrown together but rather fairly well thought-out.  (Granted, nearly all of your stuff is well thought-out, but from what you said of your situation I suspect you didn't have as much time to spend on this, so I thought I'd point out that it still read well despite that.)

I especially liked the characterization of La'Vesh.  Slightly influenced by his study of / interaction with humanity to give him enough human characteristics that make him appealing.  About what one might expect from an ambassador. 

I love that they delayed the attack by, in a way, getting him monologuing.  Syndrome would have been proud.

So... if the Sammies defeat the aliens, does that mean they get to keep any Hyadesian tech they capture?  :winkgrin:

25 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

It's a pity you can only "like" a post once.

Well done - this didn't seem rushed or thrown together but rather fairly well thought-out.  (Granted, nearly all of your stuff is well thought-out, but from what you said of your situation I suspect you didn't have as much time to spend on this, so I thought I'd point out that it still read well despite that.)

I especially liked the characterization of La'Vesh.  Slightly influenced by his study of / interaction with humanity to give him enough human characteristics that make him appealing.  About what one might expect from an ambassador. 

I love that they delayed the attack by, in a way, getting him monologuing.  Syndrome would have been proud.

So... if the Sammies defeat the aliens, does that mean they get to keep any Hyadesian tech they capture?  :winkgrin:

Only if the Sammies are willing to spend points for it ;)

And thank you for the kind words. 

EDIT: Ack, and I am also glad your post made me realize I had shifted the spelling on La'Vesh's name to Le'Vesh all in the same post. Hopefully corrected now.

And yes, I shared that with a friend, she actually felt a little sorry for our alien spokes person ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

(Stringing you guys along for way too long now. It's NOT intentional)

I don't know who said no battle plan ever survived contact with the enemy, but we had bypassed that little truth by virtue of barely having a plan at all. It wasn't like we expected the 'good' aliens to have a problem with a cure for cancer enough to attack us after all, and while we had a head's up; it wasn't much time to do more than we had. Stash the goods fight as a team, and hope we remembered our training and code words.

The Hyadesians were possibly better prepared than we were. They didn't just try to swarm us with overwhelming numbers, their ambassador at least had studied humans and our media- and that meant he had to have been somewhat acquainted with our powers and abilities. So, the Hyadesian soldiers were forewarned and forearmed. Honest to gosh, their only mistake might have been not turning off their translation devices.

"Squadron Blue, Switch weapons to dehydration for Eel and Arctic Fox," One declared, and I noticed one group shift dials at their wrist bands. Well, of course they'd want to dehydrate us. I was aquatic, and without moisture to work with Fox might be at a disadvantage. I mean, I had never been purposefully dehydrated, burned sure, but I imagined the effect would be much the same- or worse.

Now , no less than two dozen guys were about to blast Fox and I with it. I was pretty sure I shouldn't stand there and just take it, which , as a fellow blessed with the power of toughness, was often my standard method of operation.

Turns out I didn't have to.  A shadowy wall of force formed like a closing curtain at a theatre, taking every oncoming blast with casual ease. Lady Obsidian to the rescue before a rescue was even required. Not content to just defend, she made a push motion and that wall, having done its job, became a wave! The invaders were dressed in gold and white body armor that was deceptively light. That made it hard to guess how much pounding they could take, but Lady O seemed to have a good idea just how much to apply. That wave of solid energy struck Squadron Blue like a line of 18 wheelers smashing through toll gates!

Through our coms, our leader's voice declared "Switch to battle chatter folks. Peekaboo in progress" that meant she was pretty sure our coms were being hacked. Which made sense when you realized we were dealing with an advanced alien race. She continued on, "Martin after McGlown- Hustle and Flow. Dash of King in your X if uncertain. Duets are best."

Well, that was as clear as day, at least if you were paying attention to her code word updates. Frankly, I missed the Mo-Town reference when first told, which almost got me disowned but I got it now. Orders were to be ready to fill in if someone fell, stay in the general area together but keep it moving as you did and sway a bit with the feel of battle. Oh, and if you didn't know how much a pounding your foe could take, don't go all out first shot. She also recommended everyone pick a team mate to work with.

These were guidelines more than rules. But when someone with that many decades of super battle experience gives you a guideline you don't ignore it. Lady Obsidian could, by now, teach Green Berets classes in small unit tactics. But as superhero team management was pretty much where the very metaphor incarnate for herding kittens, it was best to keep it loose.

Arctic Fox and I had worked well together recently, which is why she surprised me when she went off to find another partner after burying a half dozen of those that Lady Obsidian had knocked over under ice. I'd be worried about them 'dehydrating' the ice but I think most were out cold. Ah, no pun intended.

As always, while you try to keep track of your team mates and your foes, and the lay of the land in any battle; most of us only have so many eyes and ears. What I mean is, I'm sure there were whole levels of amazing I was just completely unaware of going on. Hopefully the amazing was being done by us rather than to us.

What did I see as I dodged between ray blasts and closed on our attackers?

I caught a glimpse of slime engulfing one Hyadesian and bursting his wrist bands open from within. Disarmament was a good plan, I decided to try something similar for my own tactics.  

Lady Obsidian was a beast, as she'd already demonstrated. I think the aliens were baffled. Sure, they had seen Earth media on her, but I think it was still like running into a caveman and discovering the guy had a mecha. While I heard the aliens say something about 'frequency' and scrambling to adjust their weapons, she didn't exactly hold still while they tried. She changed the nature of the terrain almost causally, generating barriers here and there before causing said barriers to explode out ward or just fade at her discretion.  Heck, one bombardment went her way and her force shield took on an almost mirror like hue causing the blasts to reverse and turn back.

"Ever wonder if secretly we're all just her sidekicks and she only calls us equals so she doesn't take the blame if things go south?" Tornado commented. He had no trouble closing in on his chosen targets. He closed on two in fact, doing a scissor kick that allowed a foot to each face before flying up leaving the disoriented soldiers to shoot each other.

I did not see so much as hear Pogo, even amid the blasting zapping din I could make out "Oh my gosh I'm fighting aliens to defeat cancer and I'm doing it with the new Samaritans! Omygodohymgod!" a thump "Sorry sorry but I have to bet you all up now, I can't look bad in front of the T-E-A-M."

Honestly, I've been accused of bantering too much in my fights, but Pogo makes me look like a mute.

I didn't see Pinprick. I think he was on the 'other side' of the action.

On the plus side, my girlfriend came to my rescue!

Okay, rescue is a strong word. I tackled one Hyadesian to the ground, and then smashed his blaster bands or whatever he was calling those things on his wrists by squeezing them. Behind me, another guy shot me dead center in the back of the skull.

It didn't so much hurt as disorient. For a moment, the world looked like I was viewing it through a randomly convex then concave lens. Sizes of parts of bodies, my own and others, were completely blown out of perspective with odd glass like circles in my vision adding to the distortion.

"Count yourself lucky we value life, Terran" my shooter explained, right before Valarosa ghosted through two different guys to get to me, turned solid, and leg swept him onto his butt.

"Right back atcha," She said before putting his lights out with a shot to the jaw. Steel hard fists hurt bad enough, steel hard fists with martial arts training? World of ouch.

"You okay?" She asked.

"Yeah," I said, "it's clearing up fast enough, thanks" And I brought my hands down hard on the ground and sent a man-made tremor through the flooring! The Hyadesians didn't expect that, and it was really gratifying to knock them down and about like bowling ball pins.

"Strike," I said with satisfaction. That move didn't always work, but I knew the base terrain pretty well. The Hyadesians might well come to regret coming for us on our home turf.

An orb of light landed next to me and exploded. I've been blinded before, but this was bad. Furthermore, judging by the gasp near me, Valarosa had been engulfed as well.

"How many of us are played Keller here?" I asked over the comline. It occurred to me that If they had any strategy at all, there would be no reason for them not to try it all around.

Turns out it wasn't just Valarosa and I. While another blast sent me for a loop, I could hear the responses.

"As a bat" Tornado cursed.

"Yeah, they got me" Pinprick confessed with irritation.

"Only a little bit" Fox confessed, then again she might not have been down playing. Perhaps it was to prevent snowblindness, but she had a natural resistance.

"I see fine, but I have an idea" Lady Obsidian said "Mabel- Let's save some electricity.  Fox, Flurry hurry, honey."

And it got very cold very, fast, and I felt stuff splatter against and shoot past me. Now, as a southern boy, I can't say I've been in many, but we do sometimes get snow in North Carolina, and I realized what was going on. This was a snowstorm, the sort you couldn't drive through because you couldn't see through it well enough to find the road!

"Well, everyone's blind now" I said "Keep it up, even Steven. More chance we'll hurt one of them than each other."

Why settle for even odds at all? Doctor Salem's voice broke through, I will share my senses with you.

And then there was light.

Not sunlight, nor moonlight, and certainly not anything that came out of a bulb, but it was light. Outlines, auras, I realized, like Mayo had spoken of. It was nearly impossible to make out details, but I didn't need the details. I need the them and the us, and the ability to tell the difference.

"And the power to smash them with," I said reminded of an old prayer, and grabbed one of the soldiers and threw him into his friends.

"We're gonna win," I grinned.

At the time? I thought it was true.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:01 AM, BoloOfEarth said:

I've been trying not to badger you (or Lucius you, or BoloOfEarth you, for that matter), but it's now been well over a month since the last installment.  I'm sure Lawnmower Boy is jonesing for his next Pogo fix.  And, uh, I'd kinda like to know what happens next, too.

Please, don't make us finish this for you.  (If so, I'm imagining something along the lines of Fish Guy, The Musical as co-directed by Michael Bay and Zack Snyder.)

Yeah, I could have just posted "Bump" but where's the fun in that?

Snyder would Kill this! I'm seeing..."Sucker Fish"  Huh? Huh??

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(For the  three of you who still read after the one page a month garbage I pull)

Here we were, facing an army of technologically advanced foes, that had us outnumbered, and were certainly more prepared for us than we were for them. And we were winning?  I believe it was Sun Tzu who first said "Don't go into a battle blind, no I mean literally." Okay, I'm sure it's more dignified in the original Chinese.  

Their attempt to blind us had been counter by mysticism, something I began to suspect was not in the super science wielding culture's wheelhouse. Their own vision was obscured by the continued snowstorm that caked their visors with frost and normal vision couldn’t see through. Attempts to just blast away where they thought we were was more dangerous to them, and besides, Lady Obsidian's forcewalls continued to dominate the terrain. She even called out general patterns using codewords that evoked which ones. I felt a little like a badass Spartan as I held one artificially created narrow pass curb stomping the oncoming single file struggling to pour through.

"Madness, " I called out, "This is…"

"You've very funny honey," Valorosa said in the equivalent of a verbal eye-roll before I could finish. Ouch, meme blocked by my own girlfriend. She was right I guess, better to focus on the auras of the enemies.  

Not like I was used to reading them so best not to risk confusion. Still, with Mayo and Doctor Salem guiding us, I soon got a quick guide. Actually, there was a down side to this ability. I could see red colors of outrage, but there were also, deeper still, a deep true blue of nobility, of purpose. It was a constant reminder that the Hyadesians might be our antagonists and certainly were our obstacles, but they weren't villains.

Which made their attempt to keep a cancer cure out of Earth's hand's all the more mystifying. I was already pulling punches; I had to fight the urge to go softer still.

Others, despite the auras, not so much. I could hear Pinprick hooting as his mystical arrows seeded confusion.  Faerie enchantments on his arrows, he had explained to me. Usually he used it for causing folks to sleep, or shrink, and that was confusing enough to someone. Add to that arrows that caused instant inebriation, and Pinprick's powers were preventing any attempt at tactical readjustment on behalf of our foes.

I mean, imagine if you were on a paintball range with a buddy, and suddenly this guy shooting next to you was acting like he'd just had two bottles of whiskey? You'd have a good chance of ending up a home team paint splat on your ass, that's what.  

"Careful with that, Pinprick" Lady Obsdiian warned "Some of them hit harder than they can take" She had been using codewords, but no chances were taken on this. We didn't want one of them to kill a compatriot after all.

"Spoilsport" Pinprick said but shifted his tactics.

As did the Hyadesians. They fell back, what had been over a hundred now down to maybe two dozen , and one of them, I assume a commander spoke to the others "Red Giant. Confirm?"

Arctic Fox took the chance to lower the blizzard so we could see with our eyes again. She looked spent.

We had really messed them up. I don't know how many they had in their ship, but they clearly hadn't expected to need this much. Piles of them lay about in various states of unconsciousness, shrunk, or shackled in ice.  The subdued auras I could still see over the fallen forms made me think the ones that were out cold weren't faking it.

Then two other Hyadesian officers (at least I think they were officers, not like I was up to specs on this) replied "Confirm" one after the other.

"Confirm" the rank and file said almost like a collective groan and each switched something at the base of their helmets, and one of them added "For the lives of billions!"

And the twenty one remaining soldiers roared and charged us, even as the energy that surrounded them popped and seethed in spurts. If it was a forcefield, it didn't look to be a particularly steady one.

The one hit me as hard as Mister Brute ever had. I felt my teeth rattle as I was knocked back ten feet. No wonder they'd abandoned their guns! Two  charged through Lady Obsidian's shields shattering the barriers like hey were glass. Tornado narrowly avoided getting his head caved by a combination of weave and redirect; super reflexes and hand to hand training to the rescue again. Pogo? Well, Pogo got flicked off several yards, even as one soldier brought his foot down and sent a wave of force that splattered Slime around and sent Pinprick into the air.

Valorosa took a hit and it was a sound not unlike a crowbar hitting a lamppost. Normally I was the guy who stated the obvious for the team, but today was her turn "They're super strong! Like, Eel level strong!"

Okay, I won't lie, on my ass or not, I puffed up at that. It's kind of nifty finding out you're on the high end of someone's scale. I'd played this game before,  a harder hitting team cutting through your offensive line? "Bebop Brickhouse."

"Agreed," Lady Obsidian. At the time, I hadn't realized I'd issued an order when it wasn't my call. Lucky for me, Lady Obsidian concurred. The plan was simple, let our swifter or harder to hit members take lead but shield them or even take the hit for them if you had to, "I think you're right. This has to have a hell of an energy requirement, maybe they'll drain their batteries."

Okay, I had not thought of that aspect, but if she was going to give me credit for thinking of their resources, who was I to say no? I rolled to my feet as I avoided another punch, on that put a hole in our base floor, and countered with an uppercut! They might hit like me, but they took hits like Valorsa at her most extreme density! Sure, the guy flew back, but he flipped to his feet and got ready to charge again.

Tornado interceded and used his velocity ruthlessly.  These guys weren't any heavier, and Tornado had no trouble putting an extra distance in it. Fox raced along ice sleds that were soon shattered behind her, allowing Pinpick a shot at one.

"Sleep arrow isn't working on them when they're like this!" He said, "It's like they're on a drug rage."

"It's not chemical" Lady Obsidian shook her head, and used her own shields to buy Fox some space. That barrier shattered too, but at least it did tax them.

I squinted, which probably made me look silly but this aura sight was new to me. For my trouble, I got a kick to my midsection from another soldier, but not before I saw something.

Pain, intense pain was flowing through their auras, and my foe's aura was getting dimmer and dimmer as he fought me. It took me a moment to gather my breathe but at least I didn't end up on my ass this time. I gave a short jab, which didn't hurt the soldier's body that much, but the mystic light around him grew dimmer, not subdued lik when they went out. It was just… less.

Pogo sprang past me "SUPER JUUUUSSSTIIIICCCE!" the hit had taken earlier really powered up her rebound abilities and she was feeling her oats as she delivered body slams that probably were hitting, for the moment, as hard as my own jabs.

If she ever got proficient at controlling her powers, she was going to grow into one scary superheroine.

"Super Justice comes with Super Responsibility! Might for right! Go Earth!"

Okay, I happen to believe in all the same things, it just feels vaguely silly when she's shouting it.

Slime had regrouped and was playing it smart, going slippery and causing foes to fall. Arctic Fox did much the same, a lack of traction seemed to have more effect than ice walls at this power level.

"They out of juice yet?"  Tornado said hopefully as he did a split kick to nail two in the head before avoding the counter attacks, "It doesn't look like it."

Lady Obsidian sent pulses of force into one who spun a bit but was still up "No. I give them props for that. It's not coming from their uniforms like I thought it might. "

And that's when I realized something, "Auras, that's just..is that life energy? Mayo? Doc Salem?"

"Yes," the old mystic replied hovering above the fray.

"We have to stop the fight!" I yelled on the com "They're killing themselves! If we keep fighting them, they'll die!"

"Wait, DIE?" Pogo said and  managed to leap above a punch erratically, "You mean dying like dead kaput game-over finito do not pass go do not collect 200 DEAD?"

"Stop the fight? When we're winning?" Pinprick said as he dived behind Valorosa to evade a blow that would  have knocked him silly. Instead, his team mate grunted and took it for him giving a counter punch in return.

"Look at their auras," I told them, "I know we don't need to anymore, but look anyway. That's what's fueling this!"

" Hyadesians, stand down!" Lady Obsidian said "And we will spare you! We don't kill! " her next blast knocked one into another.

And still they charged. Still they came!

"Nonono, we're supehreroes, we don't let folks DIE!" It was Pogo, I'd never heard her voice so shrill and panicked before.

It's weird how, even  in the middle of a brutal fight, you can feel your heart break, just a little..

"Squad leaders, order your men to stand down! We're trying to save lives!" Lady Obsidian declared. If Pogo's tone was panicked, hers was pure authority.

It didn't matter, not one damn bit "We but do as we must, for the good of your population! " One Hyadesian managed to tag Arctic Fox and the queen of cold went limp. He had pulled his punch for her. They were gauging their shots as much if not more than we were. And they didn't want us dead.

Then one of the soldiers spat up blood.

"Lady Obsidian," I said through the Com "I …please! If we win, it's going to be over the bodies of two dozen people! I'm not…" I summed it up, "Pogo's right."

"Stand  down, Sammies" And she lowered her field " Hyadesians, we wish to discuss the terms of our surrender and the surrender of what we have of the cure."

One Hyadesian woman , her eyes looking very bloodshot like she was having some sort of stroke, motioned hit her own com badge or wahteveer it was she used, "Ambassador, suggest.. suggest agreement and…discussion. These terrans, they're more evolved than we thought…." And she dropped to her knees because she was too weak to stand anymore.

"Agreed," came a voice, Ambassador La'Vesh "End Red Giant. I'll take full responsibly."

The glow of weird erratic energy that had been both empowering and killing them stopped.

Then on the screen, the Ambassador turned his attention to Lady Obsidian, "It is as my officer said, you're more evolved than we realized.  Shall we talk?"

"that's all we wanted to do in the first place," Valorosa snapped at him, while giving Pogo a hug, "you self righteous…." She switched to Spanish and gave some curse words that I'm pretty sure I'm too innocent to hear.

La'Vesh frowned "Your team mate does realize that the universal translator translates Spanish for me as well as English yes?"

"Probably, she just doesn’t care" Lady Obsidian said coldly, "You win, we surrender, but you damn well better tell us why. Why did I just condemn every cancer patient on our planet to their fate to save two dozen of your men? Why were your men willing to die. And so help me, you say to the greater good I may lose it."

"Perhaps, if we met in person," Ambassador La'Vesh said "Agreed?"

"Help yourself down here, your soldiers already did," Lady Obsidian made a gesture to the crowd of soldiers, most of whom were still out cold, "I give my word you won't be harmed."

"I have no doubt of it" He replied.

We'd lost the battle. Mayo had once told me I was a hero, not a soldier, and that they were not in his view, the same thing.

I was starting to get what he meant. We had taken the path of superheroes instead of soldiers, and arguably, that was what had defeated us.

"This better damn well be good," Tornado growled under his breath.

"So say we all" Pinprick grunted.