The Adventures of "Fish Guy" (Superhero fiction)

Hermit

1 hour ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Well done.  Very well done.

One of my absolute favorite games at GenCon was won not with a battle (well, there was one against the Big Bad's minions), but with talk just like this to get the Big Bad to realize what she was doing was wrong.

Thank you for reviving that memory.  

Whew. I was worried some might think it was a let down, and some still might but glad it hit home with you.

Honestly, the disarming went faster than I thought possible. The Talent, the ones that weren't out cold or otherwise incapacitated, discovered their time was up; literally. The power boost they got had worn off  half way through my speech with Doctor Bench, and apparently a side effect of it wearing off was extreme fatigue. I hate to give Clamdigger credit, but he was right that they had a certain degree of pragmatic professionalism about this. 

As if it were routine, they placed their weapons down on the ground, backed away, and kept their hands up. Word spread though out the base and while we had bypassed in the upper levels might have made a break for it, I really think we got the bulk of them and the Coast Guard would be waiting for any trying to flee by conventional boat. 

The Coast Guard around liked me. I'd made their work a lot easier over the last few years, saved a few of them, and they liked that I didn't take too much guff about being the water breathing superhero. I got invited to a cook out by a few of them. Nice folks, know how to work a grill. 

I realized my thoughts were scattering a lot when I became hungry at the memory of those burgers  when I should have been focusing on watching Doctor Bench. He too had disarmed, but then his eyes fell on me, "Eel, you're still bleeding." 

Oh, so that's why my thoughts were going catawampus. Blood loss is a hell of a thing.

"Sorry, I thought I'd staunched it," I said.

Valerosa looked at the Doctor, "Can you help him here, now? You took his regeneration away...." 

"Yes yes I always keep my tools nearby. I'll tend to his wound, if, ii you'll trust me?" He looked over at me, "I can understand why you wouldn't."

"You think?" Hussar remarked acidly. Clearly he wanted to hold a bit of a grudge, possibly on my behalf, but then again more likely he was understandably annoyed that we'd all be put in danger.

While it was a human reaction, I did my best to make a keep it civil gesture, only to realize I was loosing coordination, "I trust you, Doctor. But make it quick and clean?"

"It's going to hurt," He warned as I cleared the way for access to the wounded shoulder, "The local needs time to take effect." 

He followed up by cleaning the wound, then drawing the needle to administer that.

My pain threshold was also somewhat reduced without my powers. Machismo would have to do, "Party on" I told him.

The shot didn't hurt really. The tinkering in my wound, however?  Bench had nimble fingers, smooth expertise, and he got to the bullet fast, but when he yanked it out, I realized I was about to make one of those embarrassing 'oh I'm a mortal in pain sounds' like 'Ow!' or 'Dammit' or 'Holy excrement' ... I felt a ludicrous need to keep tough in front of the rookies and my girl, even if the latter knew better.

He yanked. Pain spiked. I sang  transforming my gasp as I did so, "OOOoooklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain!"

Oh yeah, that's a warrior's call right there.

Jaws dropped among the rookies. Clearly they were struck speechless by my virile display of manly endurance even while I was depowered.

Yeah, I'm sticking with that theory.

"I love Broadway" Pogo clapped her hands as the Doctor who had tried to kill me, now stitched me up. Pogo then proceeded to list her top five, which changed at least as many times as she sorted them out.

Valerosa looked at Bench, "You depowered him, how long does that last?" 

Bench looked ashamed, then, a bit mortified, and mumbled something.

"A-hem?" She made the sound a question and a demand for clarity.

He cleared his throat "The particles that have infused in his epidermis and are inhibiting his powers can be wiped away with an alcohol rub."

"You're kidding," Bramble blinked,  "You just wipe it off? I've got neighbors that would cure him with a party, they are sloppy ass drunks."

"Well, I didn't want it to wash off with water," the poor man rambled "The man dives into it regularly...And I wasn't exactly going to tell him how I..."

I smiled, "Thank you, Doctor. I get it. After the wipe, how long till my powers come back?"  I felt like a great weight I wasn't aware of had just been taken from me. I liked my powers. Mostly because they helped me save people, but also because, well, come on, they're just neat.  As long as I didn't grow gills or scales or something anyway.

"The longer it stays on you, the longer it takes to recede as it builds up. Do it in the next two hours, and you should feel your powers coming back fully within forty-eight hours," he told me "If you wait six hours, probably closer to seventy hours to recover."

"Right, " I said, and looked at Valerosa , then suggestively waggled an eyebrow, "I could use some help with that."

"Yes, of course I'll wipe you down when we get home" Valerosa said as if I were a bit dim for even asking, "But I have to tell you, who ever told guys the eyebrow waggle was sexy did  all men a disservice." 

"THANK you," Bramble threw up her hands,  and wobbled a bit in her arboreal cast "Like yank a girl out of the moment."

"I thought it was playful," Aspirant dared to venture.

"Kills the mood," Trailblazer shook her head.

"It can be cute," Pogo told Aspirant, "And playful."

At that, the Newfoundlander started to waggle his brows, "And sexy?"

"Oh, oh god no," Pogo shook her head, "It's never been sexy."

The guy from Halifax STOPPED waggling his brows.

"Authorities are landing on the island with a ship and copter for transport," Viewpoint said, "Slime would like to know if we can go home now?"

"I want Dr. Bench treated kindly and need to talk to the authorities about how he needs help," I started to explain. Damn, looks like I might be depowered longer than I'd like. There was no way I'd tell them what they needed to know and get back in two hours. 

"No," Valerosa put her foot down, "Hussar, grab my wounded depowered boy friend and fly him back to the base gently, I'll be back in time to tend to him later. Aspirant, you were the good Doctor's head, you can help me testify to the police. I'll.. try to be back soon..."

"Why not just go with him?" Aspirant asked, "leave the clean up to us new guys. Except for Bramble's leg, we're actually in pretty good shape and even that she's handling."

"AHEM, I am senior acting member with the co-captains gone," Pogo declared, "But the rookies have a point. We can handle this. Besides you know you love him and you're going to be worrying the whole time until his powers come back and he's all healed fully so you might as well remove yourselves and let us handle it. Take our wounded back, Slime and Eel especially, maybe Bramble," A side glance to her. Bramble shrugged, and Pogo went on, "And those of us still up and about will  take over clean up."

"Yeah, I don't want to have to cradle Eel anyway, I'm worried he's a cuddler," Hussar declared.

My girlfriend betrayed me by snorting at that. Then looked about, "Better add Mayo to that." 

"I am, spent," Mayo admitted.

"But, you guys are sure?" Valerosa glanced over the team volunteering to stay behind.

Trailblazer, with a fat lip, and some bruises no doubt here and there, became the picture of confidence complete with pose of hand on hip, "Of course. After all, we're superheroes."

"Yes," Valerosa smiled, "Yes you are."

I wont describe the rub down, except to note that it wasn't nearly as fun or sexy as it should have been. Though as exhausted as it was, that was probably for the best.  Almost as soon as we got to the base, everyone got medical care, and I got spritzed, wiped quick, and complete, and then put to bed to sleep.

"I'm not a toddler, " I pouted in my jammies too tired to realize that the expression did not jibe well with my assertion.

"TODDLE your ass to sleep," And she gave me the COMMAND voice.

"Rude," I commented, but went to bed.

I had one of those sleeps where you wake up unsure if you slept for four hours, or for twelve. I got to my feet, feeling better, but not super. Tried to stretch some, immediately regretted the twinge that put off in my left shoulder, and changed clothes to jeans and a very soft cotton shirt. Then, it hit me. I'd left my costume in the med bay! 

Crap. Crap. Crap!

Sore or not, I raced towards there determined to get my costume , and more importantly what I'd been carrying in the storage in the belt before it got lost. How long had it been? By now it might be in the washer, which is fine normally but not now. Not this time.

I came into the Med-Bay to find Ariana, also out of costume, and dressed casually. My costume was in a heap on the floor at her feet, along with some spilled medicinal alcohol. The outfit looked only partly cleaned, half shining, the other half with a few blood drops on it.

The only thing Ariana hadn't dropped was the engagement ring she now lifted up to her eye level. She had the oddest look; her mouth agape, her eyes shining and somehow larger. She was making little swallowing sounds. She had clearly just found it in the last minute.

Because, of course I couldn't wake up five minutes sooner.

But damn, odd as her expression was, that ring looked good in her hand. It would look fabulous on her finger.

"Wanna get hitched?" came out of my mouth before the safety filters could kick on.

Ariana whirled about so hard the ring popped into the air as she lost the grip. Panicking, this normally nimble, confident, athletic woman pawed after it like a bear going for salmon at the stream. I moved forward to help catch it, but she managed to snag it before it hit the ground, kneeling to do so.

"Sorry, my love, but , I believe that's my part in this," And I pulled her gently up, lowering myself as I did to one knee. She looked down at me on one knee before her, then back to the ring in her hand. She still hadn't said a damn word and I was feeling a bit panicky myself.

"I had a plan," I started to explain, "To propose after Graduation. RIGHT after Graduation. But you just became more and more perfect every day and it became harder and harder. Then I.. well ,the big battle came up. I wasn't sure why I kept it in the costume. I guess if it all went wrong, I wanted you to know what was going to happen, to show you you were the one, even if one of us wasn't going to be able to make it because.. well, stuff happens. Then I realized proposing to you when I thought one of us might die was really cowardly... so I just... didn't say anything. We won and I.... well, I thought maybe when the others returned I'd drop knee in front of our friends... then I realized I left it in the costume, and I lost track of time of how long I slept and... it was too late to do it properly." 

I was in danger of rambling. My eyes were hyper-focused on her face, trying take in every twitch of eye, every echo of expression. She still looked stunned and I wasn't sure how to read that. I had no idea how I was going to go on if she shut things down now.

"This is my fault," she said catching me off guard, "I .. someone pointed out that that stuff might still be on your costume even if it was off your skin and we wanted to make sure it didn't  infuse you again and then I was cleaning and I opened the spot in case you had something to put away and it.. it was there," She looked ready to cry.

That, still wasn't a yes, or no, and the sword of uncertainty hung over me like it was about to drop and stab me right through the heart. 

"Your fault? Yeah, you made me fall in love with you, made me feel... better than I ever felt about who I am, made me want to be better than I am. You're to blame for..." I looked at the ring, before meeting her gaze again "Well, that and all it represents. I love you. I want to spend every day we have left, however few that might be in this line of work for either or both of us, with you. Will you?"

That, perhaps justly, seemed to sink in better than 'Wanna get hitched?' and Ariana ..returned the ring to me.

I wanted to die. Right then and there, I wanted my heart to actually explode in my chest and not just in my soul and take me out of my misery. I thought we both wanted this, I guess I was wro-

Then she held out her hand, more particularly, her bare ring finger, "Yes." Ariana answered, "Yes. I want to marry you. Wanted it for awhile now." 

I slid it on her finger before she could change her mind and admired it. Pearls and Diamond dust. I had collected the former myself with care to get what I thought was the best. But the ring paled compared to how beautiful she looked and rose to her ready to kiss her.

"It was actually scary how much I wanted it," she confided, tilting her head up. 

I got the hint ,and kissed her, even doing a bit of a dip because damn it, if there was ever a time for that, now was it.

When we parted, Ariana lowered her lashes, "That was nice. I liked the idea of formally announcing once the main group was back... let's do that."

"Sure," I smiled "But you may need to hide the ring if-"

"OH MY GOD HE PROPOSED!!" Blurted out Pogo's voice, accompanied by a squeal so loud and high pitched I'm pretty sure the local airport wondered if it had lost track of a landing plane, "GUYS GUYS EEL PROPOSED TO VALEROSA COME HERE AND SEE..."

"or," Ariana continued with faux somberness, "We could let the others that are here know about it first."

"Good plan," I said wryly.

Trailblazer was first to answer the call, "He did? Oh my god," She zipped up almost  bumping me aside so she could see the ring "It's beautiful!"

"I thought he'd be cheap," Hussar's voice carried "Pearls?"

MOZEL TOFF Slime scrolled , looking much better than before. 

It helped we had learned so much about his biology over time. I ignored the stink and said "Thank you, Slime." then I looked at Hussar "Yes, Pearls. The Heart of the Ocean was taken."

"Huh?" he said adroitly. 

Quickly, I got pushed aside further and further as Bramble came in also to look the ring over and congratulate us both by focusing on the bride to be.

"Little crowded in here," I observed.

But Bramble ignored me. She now had a proper set of cruches and cast and needed the room I guess, "Nice work, Ariana. You reeled him in."

I groaned at the pun, and expected Ariana to join me, but instead she just looked smugly triumphant and said "I know."

"Aspirant, you have to see this" Pogo called out. 

"I know, I mean, I  picked up on it," he pushed past me "Excuse me, Eel. Oh, and congratulations."

"Thanks," I said dryly as I was kind of nudged out another five feet almost to the door.

Then someone put a hand on my shoulder, my good one. A reassuring pat of support and praise.

"Congratulations, friend Caleb," Mayo declared, "To her as well. I confess, I feared you might find reason to post pone it."

I realized that no one knew that this just how it worked out thanks to dumb luck and an early reveal, so I bluffed, "I couldn't hold back the love any longer."

The unseeing eyes gave me a suspicious look, but then he nodded anyway, "Nor should you. But the timing is better than you know."

"What the hell's going on in here?" A familiar and somewhat surly voice from below my knee level, "Why isn't anyone in the big chair?"

I looked down to Pinprick and damned if I couldn't fight the grin that filled me on seeing him, "Someone got engaged," And I jerked a thumb at myself.

"Ah, she found out you had the negatives huh?" Pinprick nodded faux sagely.

"Make way!" A voice drawled, "Robotic best friend of the bride coming through!" Mabel aka Brazen wasn't kidding. She shoved past us like a freight train carrying heavy cargo and we got out of her way.

Ariana looked up, saw her best friend, showed her ring, and this amazingly sensible woman and Mabel both SQUEEED as loud as Pogo did and hugged making a fuss speaking too rapidly in Spanish for me to follow.

Tornado spoke up  from above, "Fighting urges to threaten you if you ever mistreat the  niece who is like a sister to me, or at least give you grief about it or instead give you a fist bump. It's coin toss, mi amigo." But his grin was broad.

"I was considering you for Best man," I told him. Though in truth I considered Mayo too. I had been blessed with a lot of friends.

"Fist Bump it is!" He reached down , I reached up.

"Seriously though, man, you two are good together" He said, "And you didn't ask for it, and don't need it, but you got my blessing."

"Appreciate that," I told him and gaped at the growing crowed blocking my view of my fiancée  "Now if only I ever get to see her again."

"You lucked out," Arctic Fox told me as she moved by to join Ariana. That was her way of showing how she cared.

"True, true" I confessed. 

"Well," a calm yet amused woman's voice spoke up "It's official, we have a party."

"Lady Obsidian!" I turned to a woman who had been a role-model for me and so many others "I'll make room so you can fit..."

"No I'm too old to be squeezing into a these things ,and the med bay is not the place to do it," Dr. Vernon gave a sharp whistle after taking her helmet off.

Heads turned, Bramble fidgeted,  and it grew quiet.

"Okay, the medbay is not the place for this" there were some groans. 

"NOT..." She over rode the groans, "When we have a perfectly nice room big enough for the Ladies and the Gents to have drinks, snacks and more, on yours truly, " Cheers broke out in response, she let that have it's moment then overrode that too, 
"Everyone move it out. Some of us came in dingy and in costume. Might as well go change and don't worry about the secret Identities, from what I've heard, the new comers earned our trust. Now, get a move on all of you.  We start in twenty  minutes in the main area. Barring any emergencies, every superhero here is officially off duty while we celebrate some of the best news we've had in this base for years."

And everyone filtered out. My hand got shook several times and then.. it was just me, the woman I loved and, well, the boss.

Ariana caught on, "You wanted to get us alone." She grew serious "Bad news?"

"Just change, darling and as your engagement proves, that's not a bad thing," Lady Obsidian smiled "Also I get to give you a hug without having to elbow the mob" And she did.

Then she motioned to me, "Get over here, young man. I put two much work in the both of you to settle for a hug from just one of you."

I surrendered to the hug with a smile "Thanks. " 

The distinguished woman let us go "Now, how's my grand daughter?"

"She's grown as a superhero, learned more about her limits, " I looked at Ariana "We didn't favor her did we?"

"No, not that we were told about Bramble up front," Ariana gave our mentor a look, "But no favoritism. She's got a practical head on her shoulders, a bit stubborn but that can be a virtue."

"I noticed her leg," A worried look crossed the grand dame of our super set's face, "Clean break?"

"Healing fine." I said, "She'll be more than healed in time for college at least."

"Oh easily," Ariana nodded, "Plenty of time to pick one in fact."

Doctor Vernon is not often taken by surprise, but tonight seemed to be one of those rare exceptions, "She.. what? She told you this?"

"Botany major, I think. I might have pressed that knowledge not only was power; in her case it made her already impressive power more so. Plus a better pay check in life than some options. Kind of like someone kept hammering me," I reminded.

"I might have told her a lot of cute guys can be found on campus," Ariana  smiled "Besides, don't be surprised. That's what you were hoping for , right?"

"I was, I just didn't.. oh I could kiss you both" She grinned "I have so many suggestions for her."

"Don't do that," Ariana shook her head, "She needs to feel this is her choice or you'll have her dig her heels in."

"Yeah, stubborn, remember. Best thing to do is act like it's no big thing but you'll support her and are glad for her, then give her space," I suggested.

Vivian winced, "You're right. I better up the frequency of my wine subscription."

"Now what is it you wanted to tell us?" Ariana asked "We've been entering daily reports as best we could. Didn't know if you had time to read them, but the updates from your side were nebulous."

"They are," Lady Obsidian nodded, "Port Cascade was a mess. A big mess. We got some help. but they're begging us to stay as they need more than one hero. I told them the New Samaritans were needed here , then they offered some nice space for a new team to use and support on top of it.  In short, they're hiring. I'm going to see who out of us, new and old, wants to go there full time."

"Oh," Ariana said  taking it in.

"Wow," I nodded, slowly, to process, "Well, the new guys were never meant to be here long." And yet I realized that I'd miss some of these guys.  And the only thing worse than losing them might be losing friends from the old crew. Yet, it was going to happen, and, for good reason.

"I'd like your recommendations on who you think I should ask first or in particular"  Lady Obsidian explained, then saw our looks, "Oh you sweet kids. You didn't get attached to them , did you? You did!" She didn't let us answer "It's their lives and their calling now. I may ask a few to stay depending on how this goes, but Port Cascade needs heroes. And no way am I giving either of YOU up."

"One minute you say don't get attached, then you say you aren't giving us up," I pointed out, "A bit of a double standard there right?"  In truth, I didn't want to leave Costa Sagrado anyway. I'd found my niche here. Found the woman I loved. Found a better hero. I suppose those could be in Port Cascade as well but, this had become my home. 

"If you live past fifty five, you get to be a hypocrite," The esteemed doctor said firmly as if quoting scripture then shook her head "Truthfully, either one of you could run a new team from what I've learned and am learning. But I've grown to rely on you and I won't be around forever. Besides," She gave me a look "You haven't graduated yet."

I smiled "You are not letting go of that victory, are you?"

"Never," Our returned team leader smiled, then looked to Ariana "Unless you insist?"

"Oh hell no. He graduates here, we have the big wedding in the cathedral" Ariana started.

"You do know I'm protestant right?" I said.

"Yeah," My catholic girlfriend nodded "About that..."

I gave her a look.

"Just kidding, heathen sex is fine" Ariana dimpled. 

I grinned like a fool.

"Ahem, Back on the subject?" Lady O pointed out "You've got about twenty, make that sixteen minutes to tell me your gut thoughts. It may not go the way any of us want, but you were in the high seat and you're not all the way back down yet. I need your advice."

"I feel like I'm being asked to do draft picks," I admitted even as I hastily thought about it.

Pardon folks, I realize it looked like were at the end ..

but my lap top has died. My computer access will more restricted until some tech friends save it. *Knock on wood*

So this ending may take a bit.

Rather than whine (Where you can see anyway) I've decided to ask for input on how YOU would want the team split. I can tell you right now, romantic softie that I can be, we won't be breaking up the engaged couple. But to the 4 of you still reading regularly, I figure by now you have (hopefully) some favorites among the new and old guys. Of course, some of the newbies might just decline both teams to go other parts .  I can't promise I'll use the ideas, but it would help me in finding out what makes readers happy

I think the first thing needed is a team leader for Port Cascade (PC).  Since it's been stated that it's not going to be Eel or Valerosa, and most likely not Lady Obsidian**, it's got to be one of the other experienced heroes (or heroines).  

• Tornado
  • Pinprick
  • Arctic Fox
  • Viewpoint
  • Slime
  • Mabel / Brazen

I'm thinking Tornado might be a good pick, though I could be swayed to Viewpoint.  To me, Arctic Fox isn't as much of a people-person and leader type, and Pinprick seems to be the Guy Friday to Lady Obsidian.  I can't really see Slime as leader, and though Mabel has plenty of experience, very little of that is actually out in the field as Brazen.

** It's not explicitly stated that Lady Obsidian is staying in Costa Sagrado (CS), but she does say she's not giving up Eel and Valerosa, so the implication is that she's staying in CS.  

Regarding the others, I'll provide more input in a bit, but wanted to suggest that Bramble might be better off *not* being in the same team as Lady Obsidian, so she's likely off to Port Cascade - which luckily has a nearby university with a good Botany program.  Also, the new team needs a brick, so Hussar most likely goes to PC.  And if Tornado goes to PC, I'd suggest Trailblazer (as the other speedster) stays in CS.

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

Pardon folks, I realize it looked like were at the end ..

but my lap top has died. My computer access will more restricted until some tech friends save it. *Knock on wood*

Dude, condolences on the laptop.  IIRC, this isn't a unique occurrence for you.  I hope you had good backups this time around.  

55 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I think the first thing needed is a team leader for Port Cascade (PC).  Since it's been stated that it's not going to be Eel or Valerosa, and most likely not Lady Obsidian**, it's got to be one of the other experienced heroes (or heroines).  

• Tornado
  • Pinprick
  • Arctic Fox
  • Viewpoint
  • Slime
  • Mabel / Brazen

I'm thinking Tornado might be a good pick, though I could be swayed to Viewpoint.  To me, Arctic Fox isn't as much of a people-person and leader type, and Pinprick seems to be the Guy Friday to Lady Obsidian.  I can't really see Slime as leader, and though Mabel has plenty of experience, very little of that is actually out in the field as Brazen.

** It's not explicitly stated that Lady Obsidian is staying in Costa Sagrado (CS), but she does say she's not giving up Eel and Valerosa, so the implication is that she's staying in CS.  

Regarding the others, I'll provide more input in a bit, but wanted to suggest that Bramble might be better off *not* being in the same team as Lady Obsidian, so she's likely off to Port Cascade - which luckily has a nearby university with a good Botany program.  Also, the new team needs a brick, so Hussar most likely goes to PC.  And if Tornado goes to PC, I'd suggest Trailblazer (as the other speedster) stays in CS.

Dude, condolences on the laptop.  IIRC, this isn't a unique occurrence for you.  I hope you had good backups this time around.  

Better than I did before. Which was a low bar *Wry*

And thank you for the input.  Look forward to the more input. There are no wrong answers. The true tragedy, of course, is that one of these teams will be without an archer... and therefore is doomed to suck ;)

I’d say Tornado and Brazen for co-leaders. 

As noted, Arctic Fox hasn’t really seemed a “people person”. Viewpoint and Slime have been more accustomed to running solo (and Slime may not have quite enough experience with Earth culture to ride center seat - though Viewpoint might appreciate an opportunity to go someplace where he doesn’t have a reputation to live down)

I also don’t see Pinprick leaving Lady O without pressing need, and moving cities would also likely impact time with his kid.

Tornado has the experience and people skills and Brazen can probably keep him grounded and on track. Plus, being in a different city will make it easier for her to keep from falling back into the “base support” role (imo)

Hussar makes sense to PC, both because it puts a brick on both teams and because he and Eel tend to rub each other the wrong way.  

Aspirant is going wherever Pogo goes, the question is whether she feels ready to maybe step out a little (and I’m not 100% sure she isn’t a minor still). 

I can see Bramble maybe stepping back to reserve status(?) - depending on how hard she plans on hitting the books.  Where depends on who has the better botany program and how much she feels the need for space. 

I like the idea of Trailblazer staying to fill the speedster role, plus I like how her powerset and Eel’s clash (my inner GM just starts cackling  and rubbing his hands together diabolically for some reason). 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I’d say Tornado and Brazen for co-leaders. 

(snip some excellent reasons and other thoughts)

I like the idea of Trailblazer staying to fill the speedster role, plus I like how her powerset and Eel’s clash (my inner GM just starts cacling and rubbing his hands together diabolically for some reason). 

I think Tornado and Brazen as co-leads makes a lot of sense.

And as to the Trailblazer / Eel comment, I like the way you think and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.  :) 

Edit to add:  The Aspirant / Pogo comment makes a lot of sense, and I'd personally like to keep both on Eel's team, with the hope that there will be a Part 4 someday.  After all, we've got a Super Wedding coming up, right?  (evil grin)

Y'know, Hussar needs a ranged attack.  Nothing saying that can't be a bow with trick arrows, so the PC team won't suck.  :winkgrin:

Okay, so my picks:

Costa Sagrado:

• Lady Obsidian (team leader)
  • Pinprick
  • Eel
  • Valerosa
  • Aspirant
  • Pogo
  • Trailblazer

Port Cascade:

• Tornado (team co-leader)
  • Brazen (team co-leader) - Great idea, Tom
  • Arctic Fox
  • Hussar - though if Brazen is a brick, Hussar might strike out on his own
  • Bramble
  • Viewpoint (given his antagonistic history with Arctic Fox, I'd think this could add some "fun" to the PC team)

Solo or auxiliary status:

• Slime (I see him as having been filling in at Lady O's request but not needing to be on a team)
  • Mayo (though he'll be a frequent auxiliary member of Costa Sagrado)

On 4/5/2022 at 1:03 PM, BoloOfEarth said:

Okay, so my picks:

Costa Sagrado:

• Lady Obsidian (team leader)
  • Pinprick
  • Eel
  • Valerosa
  • Aspirant
  • Pogo
  • Trailblazer

Port Cascade:

• Tornado (team co-leader)
  • Brazen (team co-leader) - Great idea, Tom
  • Arctic Fox
  • Hussar - though if Brazen is a brick, Hussar might strike out on his own
  • Bramble
  • Viewpoint (given his antagonistic history with Arctic Fox, I'd think this could add some "fun" to the PC team)

Solo or auxiliary status:

• Slime (I see him as having been filling in at Lady O's request but not needing to be on a team)
  • Mayo (though he'll be a frequent auxiliary member of Costa Sagrado)

Whale guy! Why is he so often forgotten?! :)

• 3 weeks later...

The unplanned celebration of Ariana and my engagement also served as a welcome back party for the old timers, and a 'you done good, rookies' tribute for the newer crowd.

Almost no one was wearing a costume. And frankly, it was weird. I felt oddly exposed, and a bit like some of the magic was gone. This wasn't the first time I'd seen this or that team mate in normal clothes, of course. But the fact that we were doing it in such numbers and all at once, it felt weird. And I had to chuckle at the absurdity of it all.

Yours truly was wearing jeans and a nice button up shirt , with the sleeves rolled up a little as if I were ready to get to work. I'm not vain, but I noticed Ariana liked the look, so I played to her tastes. Word had gotten out that 'casual nice' was fine, so styles varied from t-shirts and up to nice but without a tie. My bride-to-be, damned how good it felt to think of her that way, wore a fetching blouse and slacks combo.  I nearly spit my drink out to see Mabel wearing fake glasses  as the robot 'clark kented it' for her own amusement. Pogo wore leggings and a  new T-shirt that was for a Halifax sports team. I eyed Aspirant, who now that you could see his mouth, wouldn't stop smiling that she was wearing what I assumed was his gift. 

I wondered if he had to head back to Canada or not. It was possible any of them might have plans after the training was done. They'd proven themselves, and any super-team in any part of the world would be happy to have them. I glanced over to see a shrunken Hussar fluttering about angrily at Pin-Prick, discovering bluster didn't fly with the world's littlest archer. It reminded me of what I felt a long time ago when he gave me a sit down and think  speech by the side of the pool. I knew neither would let it go to far. Even Hussar had matured.

Though I did think maybe he and I weren't the best match still. It was getting better. Maybe with time, but I had to be fair to him as well. It was weird, darn weird, to try to sort through folks like I had a right to decide who was worthy of what area. They were all worthy. Old friends who I knew would always have my back, new allies that had already done the same. I'm not dim. I realized that Lady O was hitting Ariana and I with one more test of leadership, or at least team management. But I didn't see it as an insult, but as a sign of trust. It was making me nervous anyway.

Who did I want to be on the team with me regularly? Then I realized just who, and went over to him. I definitely wanted this guy on my team. The fact he was a good friend was only part of it. He had pulled more rabbits out of his hat when we needed them than could be ignored, and I mentally patted myself on the back for such an apt metaphor. Mayo was, after all, a magician. Biases against mystics aside, it was obvious they were useful.

"Hey," I realized as I closed on him, "You're not wearing the breather." Indeed, his face was exposed to the open air.

"I have a spell that lets me breath air without it, but it has limits as I learned to my detriment," He turned his blind eyes to me "Your future wedding is turning into a fine excuse for celebration and potential intoxication."

"Then I'm glad my romantic dreams coming true serves some humble purpose," I deadpanned before moving on, "Say, Mayo. Your spell earlier, terrifying but effective. You okay?"

"I am recovered. You? Your powers are returning?" He inquired back.

"Slowly," I answered, "I don't feel weak as a kitten anymore. But I'm still not tops," I had almost forgotten that, but as I did a mental check I could feel the absence of a lot of my power. I decided not to get into an arm wrestling contest with anyone at the party.

"I'll be fine" I assured him, "Actually, if you don't mind me mixing business with the celebration, I wanted to ask you something?"

"You have but to ask," he nodded. His blind eyes weren't on me, of course, but he had his head in the right direction.

"Would you be interested in working with a team regularly?"  I said, then feeling awkward, added, "My team. Well, Lady Obsidian's team, but the team I'm on?" I realized I was perhaps not making my best pitch here, "It's complicated, but in a nutshell a second team is forming and we're sorting stuff out. I'd like you on either, but we work well together."

Mayo looked thoughtful for a moment, and laid a finger against his  chin to complete the image before answering, "If you weren't just recently engaged, I would wonder if you were proposing."

"Don't make this weird," I winced.

And he smiled at that, then seemed just a touch contrite, "Perhaps I am trying to use humor to ease the blow of my refusal to both teams. Kind though the offer is. My being a mystic brings complications."

"You're about the only mystic that I like," I told him to head him off and hoped no one passed that onto Doctor Salem,  "If this is because of MY hangups, I assure you I'm working on it."

"It's not," Mayo shook his head, "As with many magical things, there is a three fold answer, but your dislike of mysticism is not one of them. A mystic is dragged by tides of fate and purpose, needs on the spiritual and cosmic scale. Arrogant as it sounds, we are more aware of where we will need to be, even if we don't always know when those pulls and pushes come.  I will happily work with either or both teams when and if I can, but a regular member should be constant, and I won't be. You don't need someone who might, in the middle of a crisis here, throw his cloak over shoulder with a flourish, says something cryptic, and speaks of  how he is needed elsewhere then depart while you fight one person down against the aforementioned crisis."

I had to admit, that would indeed tick me off, "A bit vexing yeah." 

He went on with the second reason, "Also, there is a demand from more than surface culture for help such as we provide. I may not be welcome in some of the undersea nations, but that doesn't change the fact they face threats and have fewer saviors to draw on. I don't plan to desert the surface folk, but I must be ready to attend to my fellow water breathers."

I felt a twinge of guilt there. I mean, I grew up topside, and was very human, thank you very much, but who knew what was happening to the average Atlantean or Mu citizen down below? Maybe they needed heroes too. But it couldn't be me, "My life is up here. I'm sorry."

"Do not apologize for lacking the power to be at all places at all times, Caleb. Frankly, much as I like you, you'd become very tiring if you could," Mayo shook his head at the notion, "one can only have so much Fish Guy on the menu."

I rolled my eyes at 'Fish Guy' but let it slide. Then something else sunk in, "What's the third reason?"

"mmm?" 

"You said there were three reasons," I reminded him, not letting him off the all too apt proverbial hook,  "Mystic calling one, needs of undersea folk was two, what's three?"

"The one I've told you before," he says "I was a soldier, now I'm a mystic, but I have noticed in both cases that I still would hesitate to call myself a hero. I lack your noble restraint. I may use methods that are beyond merely weird, and delve right into the dubious. It would not be fair to you, my friend. You would be too quick to take my choices that you did not agree with on your own back. Look at how this started, you taking blame for a group choice has done harm to you. I will not contribute to that, and it will eventually happen."

"You're not a killer," I frowned at him. He had been plenty heroic, and I found myself wanting to argue on this last point.

"I am not a murderer," He corrected, "There is a difference. My point remains though, your New Samaritans have high ideals. I respect it, but the strongest pillars are eroded or cracked in time. I would not be a part of the pillar, I would be a force rushing past to support, but weakening it. Hard choices in my future, not a simple kill or be killed either, but more on par with what you faced with the cancer cure refusal. I will not add the weight of that to your own loads. You may blame yourself, Eel. You're so decent I fear I would -" he searched for the right word "tarnish you."

"I think you need those eyes checked again, blind or not," I snorted at his praise.

"Nevertheless, my three reasons stand," Mayo informed me, "But fear not, when the tides of time demand the waters writhe and the sky blacken with the fury of dirges too long silenced, I shall return with secret fire in hand to show you a way through the maze of ruination to the egress of hope."

I blinked at him, then gave him a stare and hoped my aura matched it, "You almost had me going for a moment there, then it got too corny."

"It was egress of hope that killed it, wasn't it?" He asked as if taking notes for the future.

"Lil over the top," I nodded with vigor.

"Poop," The enlightened one said, "Ah well. I shall work on my cryptic speech. Get back to recruiting, Caleb. I think the next person you run into will say yes. The stars are right for it." 

"Uh huh," I snorted, "Sure. Fool me once and all that," I said as I took a step to take my leave-

and promptly stomped on Pinprick.

As God is my witness, I didn't see him. Wasn't he with Hussar just a minute ago? Well, where ever he had been, currently he was on his back, the top part of him sticking out from under my shoe, glaring at me.

"If you don't move this size ten by the count of three," Pinprick warned me, "I'm going to shove it some place dark and I don't mean the Marianas trench. Comprende?"

I took my foot off him fast. 

"Whoops?" I said. Really I was going to get chewed out no matter how flowery I made it. 

"Whoops, he says" Pinprick got up dusting himself off, "You're lucky I don't fillet you, but Ariana would probably fuss about being a widow before she was a wife. Seriously, this is how sloppy you're getting when I'm gone?"

"Let me make it up to you," I told him and looked down, "They're forming a spin off team, and I figured it was a given that you'd stay here with Lady Obsidian but just to make sure-"

"Yes, I'm staying, Duh. Shouldn't even be a doubt. I stick with the boss lady, you know that," A shake of his head, "Now move quickly or you're going to lose two speedsters."

"Two...wait what?" I looked over to see Valentino talking to a certain redhead, "Wait, we were just sorting things out, getting a feel, he can't start recruiting."

"Who do you think is gonna lead the team in Port Cascade. Tornado and Brazen … seriously kid, you honestly think we wouldn't pick up on this plan? We're professional superheroes, which means we snoop on folks habitually. Now go before you're left with a team with zero speed unless you count you in the water. Trick question, super swimming  impresses no one."

I was already making haste while Pinprick was still griping.

"And after all my years of gentle mentorship too..."

"I'll buy you a beer!" I told him. And maybe stuff you in it , I thought, glad Aspirant was distracted.

• 1 month later...

I approached Trailblazer in time to hear "That's ... incredibly flattering, Tornado."

"Please, we're out of our masks, call me Valentino," Tornado smiled, "Your powers would compliment Arctic Fox's and my own, and Port Cascade has a riveting night life."

Son of a gun, the sneak actually was trying to pinch the only other speedster in the room for his own spin off team. And Trailblazer looked tempted. Her eyes had that thoughtful look when you're really considering something.Add to that, it was clear Tornado had already snagged Arctic Fox. That was a pain, Fox was not a people person, but she could be a team player, and her ice powers had shielded me more than once when working with my innate resistance to low temperatures.

"It has a wet night life," I said, "It rains so much you're going to feel like someone is dousing you," I told her as I intruded on their conversation, "In fact, in Port Cascade, the sun is considered unnatural and unlucky. I think they sacrifice goats when it appears."

She smiled at that, finding it funny but not funny enough for a full laugh, "Sounds more like a town for you then, doesn't it?"

"I'm too attached to Costa Sagrado," I told her feeling a bit like a car salesman, "It's a great city with great opportunities. And you've only begun to see some of what if offers."

"And he'd like to tell you about your car's warranty expiring," Valentino interjected without missing a beat.
That she did laugh at. Not a good sign I worried.

"Wait," Realization hit Trailblazer, "Am I being wined and dined by both teams here?"

"We told you were smart," I informed her. In truth I wasn't sure we ever praised her intellect per se. I had always thought it was Bramble who was the smartest of the recruits, but Trailblazer had been less than confident in general and with a few victories under her belt and our assurances, she had really bloomed as a heroine. I wasn't just sucking up here.

"I've read the reports. And your powers could be a real asset," Valentino explained to her, "We're doing a spin off team, of course you're going to be asked. You've proven yourself."

"You've gotten a lot more confident in your abilities, and when the chips are down and the stakes are high, you shove the worries to the side and save lives," I told her, "That's what any one hopes for in a superhero. You've been amazing."
She blushed then looked at Tornado, "Your turn."
Tornado gaped, then broke into a laugh, "Reserved parking?"
"You don't need to drive," I countered, "You run super fast."
"It's the prestige involved," Valentino told me.
"It's a cheap bid," I told him.
"Cheap? Do you have a reserved parking place here?" Valentino scoffed, "I think not."

"If it weren't for the fact you're both in relationships of one sort or another, I think I'd demand you two recite poetry," Trailblazer beamed "This is nice."
"There once was a man from Nantucket-" I started.

"Not that poetry," She held out a hand in a stop now gesture, then shook her head, and said "I have to confess, for awhile I thought Valerosa did not like me. So by that logic, Port Cascade's not a bad spot to try, but" She confesses, "I also have made some friends here. And not just ones in costume. Also I think I've earned her respect and if she hadn't been pushing I might not have gotten as good. And then there's Eel here..."
"Caleb," I told her "out of the mask anyway."
"Caleb," She smiled, "And you've been supportive, and nice, even after I set you on fire.. Between the two of you I felt I had firm and fair and fair and kind. You've been like training wheels for me."
"Ah, thank you?" I Said worried she was about to tell me she was done with training wheels.
"I'm done with training wheels," She said and I struggled not to wince even as Tornado no doubt struggled not to smile, but then she continued "But I'm not so cocky yet to think I might not need them again one day, or at least a refresher course. I pump music in my head while I fight to deal with anxieties and insecurities still. I am more confident, but sometimes I still need the talk to either tell me to get my ass in gear, or that I'm doing okay and this too will pass."

At that, Tornado's face fell a bit "Ah, I see."
"Yeah, Sorry Tornado," She started to say then corrected, "Valentino. I'm sure you and Brazen will be great leaders of this spin off team, but for now I think I owe it to myself to stick with what, and who, are working best for me."
Valentino is a classy guy, and a good man, and he almost immediately stuck out his hand to her, "It was worth a shot. I can't say I wasn't hoping, but on the plus side, you're going to make a great New Samaritan"

"She already has" I nodded.
Trailblazer shook his hand, "Thank you," She looked at me "Thank you both. It was nice being made a fuss over."

"It was legit" I assured her, "And thank you back for staying with us. We're going to need you."
"It's nice to be needed," She admitted, "It's good to be able to have a chance to do good."
I smiled at that, "You really should talk to Mayo. Pardon, I've got to see who else wants to stick with us."

"Sure," She smiles "I had my moment in the spotlight," Then she coughed and muttered, "You realize eventually some mind control jerk will use me to set you on fire, right? I've heard stories."
"Meh," I shrugged, "Still worth it," Then I smiled "Builds character."
At that she did laugh, and went to Bramble to say "Hey, guess what..."

I turned to look around for the next on my list. If I was lucky I could get a two for one. Sure enough, everyone's favorite Canadian telepath was with everyone's favorite Chinese-American kinetic-reactive. With qualifiers like that, it did tend to narrow the field. She was talking his ears off, and he was grinning happily.

He had mentioned her thoughts were pure, and connected. And I suppose, if I had spent years being bombarded by too much input of thoughts that put lie to words constantly, finding an honest and open soul like Pogo would be a kind of delight. I moved into the current of her steam of babble and good cheer only to find out they were discussing us.

"Then in two years, we go to Canada.. and I see it on your side of things," She said "I think by then I'll be more mature and you will definitely be out of your rookie phase."

"I do feel more confident" He confessed. "And I don't want to push you , so sure, we can wait."

Wait hell. He was stealing American talent from the superhero set? What was this, revenge for all their comedians we swipe? Regardless, I had to intrude fast before they cemented anything for Port Cascade, which, it occurred to me, might be preferable for them as it was closer to Canada's border!

"Hey you two," I moved towards them, "Hope I'm not intruding." Okay, that was a lie. I did want to intrude.

"A little bit" Pogo answered honestly "Because I was getting ready for some serious flirting with my boyfriend but it can wait. How are you feeling are your powers back? Not you're defined by your powers, you are the best you you can be, and that's quite enough for anyone super or not.  But I do hope they come back because we can use all the superheroes we can get. Did you hear there were gonna be two teams? Maybe three"

Three? What the heck?

Okay, time to switch to honesty "I heard about a spin off team in Port Cascade. I was hoping I could convince you two to stick around"

"But telepaths creep you out" Aspirant said.
"Telephobia is an ugly thing, Eel," Pogo tutted at me.
I felt a headache coming on, and a very petty part of me hoped Aspirant caught it too, "Please forgive me, I am of a slightly older generation, and was weaned on Sci Fi about brain eating zombies and alien influences trying take over our minds"

There was an burble and smell nearby, I turned to see Slime with the words *DUDE? Not COOL!*
"I didn't mean you.." I told Slime alarmed.
*You're too easy a target, Eel* And he slithered off with a kind of bubbling chortle.
On the other hand, maybe after this party I'd go blow some aliens up on some retro video games.

"He's got a lot to work on," Pogo was telling Aspirant trying to sound sympathetic "But he does try."
"Yeah, I've seen into his mind. He's not a bad guy," Aspirant nodded, "Just a product of his upbringing."

I looked heavenward for strength, then said "I hope you're both sticking around for the New Samaritans. Telepathy maybe spooky, but it's useful and has some non violent solutions I like. And, Pogo, it wouldn't be the same without you. You're like family to a lot of us."

"Awww," Pogo folded with such speed I almost felt guilty "That is so touching I just wanna.." She hugged me briefly and kept on talking "As a matter of fact, we already decided that we'd stay here two years , see how our relationship unfolded even as we kicked ass as New Samaritans, and then in two years, depending on things, I might go to Canada for a bit. Aspirant and Pogo as a Daring Duo! "
"Oh you'd get top billing" Aspirant told her "Pogo and Aspirant."
It was HIS turn to get a hug from her "So sweet." She assured then kept on "So we'll be around for two years for sure. Then we'll see. Oh and I do need to watch after my grandma and who knows where college will lead but that's the plan right."
"So you ARE going to college" I said.
"I'm Chinese American with a family," She looked at me like I was crazy for asking "Not going to college leads to grave disappointment, sad patriarch looks, and creepy ancestor ghosts with glowing green eyes interfering with my wifi  reception until I mend my ways."
"I don't think that's really how it works" I told her.
She tutted at me "Gotta work on your cultural appreciation skills," Then looked over at Aspirant "We are staying here right?"
"Happily" He answered then looked at me "Can I have my gun back?"
"We'll see" I said "But probably once we can tone it down with a slider AND a safety."
"A safety's good" He nodded "We're in."

"Thanks" I said again "Enjoy the party" And just like that, they were back to talking about them, which is is the way with young folks with crushes.

I wondered how Ariana was doing?

12 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Yay!  Another installment!  Less than a week after my birthday, so I'm calling it a birthday present.  Woot!

Hey, Happy Belated Birthday!

12 hours ago, Tom said:

Hmmmm, a shoulder stock mightn't be a bad idea given the recoil...

Good point. You remain the big gun in reminding me of practical weapon needs. Thank you!

11 hours ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

Hey, hey, hey. Pacific Northwest weather isn't that bad. It's been summer for two days and it's been sunny both days! The air temperature is so warm there was only one person shopping in a fur coat this morning and I'm pretty sure it was fake.

Well, Faux Fur IS more humane ;)

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

Good point. You remain the big gun in reminding me of practical weapon needs. Thank you!

If you really want to be practical, and Lady O is willing to oblige, getting Aspirant a weapon more tailored to him would be even more practical. 

Assuming he could be convinced to give up his trophy.  A project for Pogo, perhaps?  (Assuming she bought into the idea.)

• 1 month later...

It turned out, I didn't have to wait too long to find out who my fiancée had approached.when she pulled back to my side, somehow finding that niche that I felt like god had molded me to be for her comfort and support. I wrapped an arm around her and despite the scramble for teams in the midst of celebration? I felt whole.

"Missed you," I told her.

"It's been less than fifteen minutes," she smiled at me with her eyes as well as the upturned corners of her mouth.
"Feels like months," I told her honestly.
"Silly," She told me, but her tone was anything but chiding, "Missed you too," then she took a breathe and reported on, "Fox is going north, she met a fellow by the way."

"Hope he's a better man than Valoderous," I snorted softly, "But I'm glad for her, even if she'll be missed. So far we've got Lady Obsidian, us, Pinprick, Trailblazer, Aspirant, and Pogo."
"No Mayo?" She inquired.

"Hold the Mayo," I tried to hide my disappointment behind a joke.
"Oh, you just love slipping that one in," She groaned, but then added, "I'm sorry."

It looked like I hadn't hidden anything as well as I thought.

She patted me, "Well, that leaves us with seven. You did better than I did. Bramble wants just a bit of space from her grandmother so she'd going to Port Cascade as well."

It occurred to me that Ariana might have indulged just a bit in being fussed over as bride to be and left most of the recruiting to me. And who was I to blame her? Likely she had chattered Mabel and Fox up all over again, and as they were about to be in another city regularly; it was understandable she'd want to squeeze out as much farewell with them as possible. And her Uncle was always more like a big brother to him. Lord knows there would be video calls back and forth at the least.

I processed the current list, "So Port Cascade's branch has Brazen, Tornado, Arctic Fox, and Bramble that we know of. We should get moving and grab up Slime, Viewpoint and Hussar."

"Ahem," She cleared her throat, "We have SEVEN. That's big enough. Give my Uncle a chance, okay?"

I looked sheepishly at her, "Sorry, for a moment it was 'gotta catch em all'"

Ariana looked at me as if I were insane, then broke down into a laugh which she buried into my chest. I liked the way her throaty snorts echoed into my rib cage.

"Hussar Chu, I choose you?" She asked.

"Well, I keep hoping he evolves, but fine, Tornado can have him," I allowed as if it were magnanimous. In truth I kind of figured Hussar would say no anyway. I respected him more now, and he me; hell I even felt for the kid. But we still clashed. Of course, Trailblazer and Valerosa had their own bumps, but I felt Trailblazer was holding no grudges. I wasn't as sure about Hussar.

"How kind of you," My bride to be fussed at me, "He's got the goods. And they'll be lucky to have him."

She pulled me along to rejoin Tornado and the others.

And that's how I learned recruiting had not gone as well for Tornado and Brazen as they hoped.

"What do you mean you're forming your own team?" Valentino's voice boomed in one of those awkward moments of silence that owns a room.

"What, I passed the course," Hussar replied, "Look, Angel Man has a dark history, One that has been covered up way too long. I'm his clone, not him, so maybe I don't bear any stain for anything he ever did, or maybe I do. I'm not sure, but I do know it pisses me off that he got away with it and others are still paying the price. I got a mission to stir some trouble, and set things right. People may hate my guts for 'tarnishing' his name... big whoop. But I'm gonna spread word. That's why I invited Viewpoint along."

Viewpoint nodded, confirming it, "If the kid is going to sling even well deserved mud on an icon of old, he could use someone who is better at Public relations than he is."

'WHICH IS ANYONE, REALLY'  Slime texted on his own surface.

"Oh yeah, Slime's coming too," Hussar nodded, "He's cool."

"When you first met, you attacked him, and he said you tasted like chicken," I reminded. I shouldn't have, but this had caught me off guard as well.

'HIGHER QUALITY CHICKEN' Slime assured the room.

"Yeah, we got over it," Hussar says, "So I invited him along. He's got some old interstellar tech patched together. It won't get us past orbit but it sure cuts the miles to nothing."

'THE TRIO TAKING A NATION WIDE TOUR,' Slime seemed enthused 'READY TO HIT THE CITIES OF AMERICA AND BROADEN SOME MINDS! HERE TO HELP YOU FACE YOUR PREJUDICES, YOU UGLY UGLY SOLIDS'

"Like I said, I'll be doing most of the PR part," Viewpoint said after we all gazed at that text.

"Good thing, I'm thinking," Lady Obsidian observed, but looked more amused than alarmed, but she moved to Hussar, "You sure you're up for this?"

"One thing I've never been afraid of is a fight" Hussar told her, "But I'm not so stupid as to think I don't need some help."

Viewpoint adds, "The Kid's cause is righteous. But hey, if we're in the area of Port Cascade, we'll chip in and help out."

"Well, I appreciate that, "Tornado said, then looked to Mabel who nodded at him, before saying "If you would, make Port Cascade the first place you start spreading the word?"

"Sounds like a plan" Hussar nodded.

'RAINS A BIT MORE THAN I LIKE, BUT SURE' Slime agreed.

Viewpoint said to Brazen and Tornado, "Looks like you'll have back up close by if you four get overwhelmed"

"Might be five of us" Arctic Fox muttered over her glass, but most of us heard and stared at her.

"I met a local at Port Cascade, he's nice," She said sounding defensive. "And yes, I know, that's bit me in the ass before."

"More like it bit you in the heart,"  Brazen was kind about it "Don't beat yourself up. We'll give him a look."

"Is he an archer?" Pinprick inquired.

"No," Arctic Fox rolled her eyes at him.

Pinprick nodded, then looked at Tornado "Your team is going to suck now."

"Where's a bread box when I need one?" Tornado asked "And crazy glue to seal it?"

"I have have an adhesive in my tool box," I offered.

There were some chuckles all around , smiles. Sure, the banter poked, but it didn't cut flesh. And we all knew sometimes joking was easier than simply saying how much we'd miss each other.

Teams sorted, the focus shifted back to the upcoming wedding. Two cities or not, everyone agreed to show up for that.

Ariana also announced, "Well, the wedding will be soon, no waiting a year for this. Even if it means a smaller place. We're getting hitched quick."

"We are?" I was surprised.

"We are," Then she kissed my cheek, and whispered in my ear "Your mother and father are going to see it from places of honor. Whatever happens, whatever doesn't, your dad gets to watch us get married."

I was wordless, too choked up to really do anything but gaze with gratitude. As folks cheered and chattered at this latest news, I held her hands and gazed in her eyes nodding.

And I realized another reason I loved this woman. She was rescuing me again. I might be a big ass strong man with the ability to juggle tanks, or plunge to the depths, but this woman? This amazing woman?

She was MY hero.