Reality filters?

Dog Soldier

The character Largo sees everything as part of a first person shooter video game with zombies. He goes into a techno-dance club and sees all the people there as zombies so he attacks them. He gets thrown in jail and when his lawyer, whom he sees as a ninja shows up he believes that a rent-a-zilla sprung him from jail. Largo gets a job teaching English at a high school, at one point he sees the bored students as zombies so he jumps out the window. The thing is that his point of view actually works for him after a fashion.

>>> He gets thrown in jail and when his lawyer, whom he sees as a ninja shows up he believes that a rent-a-zilla sprung him from jail.<<<<

But, but, but.... his lawyer WAS a disguised ninja. Rent-a-Zilla DID spring him from jail.

At least, that's how I've always interpreted it ;). Otherwise, how does it figure that other people are affected by Largo's/Piro's fantasies?

If the fantasies are indistinguishable from real life (up to and including the ability to inflict crippling injuries), then why not treat them as real?

cheers, Mark

The problem is that the characters are otherwise entirely too low powered. I started drawing the parallel to Calvin a while back. I can't find any evidence that Largo does anything other than create a nuisance to others. Like the ph34rbots. Everyone else sees a pile of junk on manhole covers. Further evidence is that Ed and Dom are completely unprepared for Ping. Ping is the real deal, a gynoid capable of tossing busses and ripping up lightpoles.

>>>The problem is that the characters are otherwise entirely too low powered. I started drawing the parallel to Calvin a while back. I can't find any evidence that Largo does anything other than create a nuisance to others.<<<

Ahh. This is the comic book effect. To simulate this in a game the GM has to discuss it with his players and point out that in a comix world, getting hit in the face by a flying giant turtle-thingy and then falling 60 stories to the ground may not result in death but it will cause certain amusing transformations.

Likewise, a Ph33rbot is probably quite capable of inflicting severe injuries or even destruction on a zombie or a car that transforms itself into a giant battlemech. However, all it can do to roving fanboys is mess up their clothes and inflict bruises and minor cuts.

If I wanted to simulate that, I think I'd give all characters and amusing NPCs (pretty much anybody with a name, plus babies and dogs, really) 30 or 40 resistant DEF with the limitation "does not stop first body and related stun of any attack, -1/4).

That means a 1d6HKA, and an 8d6HKA are likely to do the same damage (cuts and bruises) - although a really big attack might stun you or make you unconscious. Of course a frying pan weilded by a 12 year old girl would inflict about the same injuries, which seems about right.

As for Largo seeing things,that just falls under his psych lim "patently deranged" :D

cheers, Mark