Jump to content
Asperion

I challenge you!

Recommended Posts

 

Airplane! is not a remake, but a sendup.  And it's a true classic of comedy that could never be filmed today.

 

 

Which Dystopia Are We Living In:

 

Mad Max vs. 1984

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They share the world in a time-varying sense, where the degree of influence of each changes over time.  Neither is ever wholly absent, or in total control, at any given point.

 

There are reasons to suspect that the dystopia of In Watermelon Sugar also is present, but it seems to have lesser importance in the global scheme of things at this time.

 

It is to be expected the presently dominant pair will fade and others will assert dominance in the future.

 

 

Most likely dystopian end state:  I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream  vs  Planet of the Apes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Airplane! is not a remake, but a sendup.  And it's a true classic of comedy that could never be filmed today.

It is officially listed as a remake of Zero Hour as it used the same dialogue etc of that film. In fact the producers bought the rights to Zero Hour !

 

Most likely dystopian state now is I have no mouth and I must scream

 

Original vs remake throwdown 17

 

 Ben Hur 1925 vs Ben Hur 1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Casino Royale 2005, if only for that Chris Cornell song. It's one of the two or three best Bond songs ever.

 

Speaking of which:

"Live and Let Die" by Paul McCartney vs. "View to a Kill" by Duran Duran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The Departed was an instant classic that still failed to measure up to the original.  And it was especially galling to see Scorsese steal from Hong Kong.

 

 

Original vs throwdown 20

 

Champions 1st ed. (1981) vs. Champions 6e (2010, a decade ago!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pariah said:

Casino Royale 2005, if only for that Chris Cornell song. It's one of the two or three best Bond songs ever.

 

Speaking of which:

"Live and Let Die" by Paul McCartney vs. "View to a Kill" by Duran Duran

 

Ironically, with James Bond movies, the better the theme song, the worse the movie.  (at least it seems to apply pre-Brosnan, haven't studied too much for the last 20 years, and I don't even remember awful movie Moonraker's song.  And Goldfinger had good movie/good song, So it isn't universal, just common.)

 

 

Note: To be fair, I don't consider Live and Let Die to be awful per se, just subpar in relation to most 60s-80s Bond movies.

 

Edit: And the Living Daylights, is a real oddity, the best song of the movie actually wasn't the theme song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old Man said:

 

The Departed was an instant classic that still failed to measure up to the original.  And it was especially galling to see Scorsese steal from Hong Kong.

 

 

Original vs throwdown 20

 

Champions 1st ed. (1981) vs. Champions 6e (2010, a decade ago!)

 

Still playing 5e for me, so neither of the above.

 

Final fight (maybe, we'll see) for Pennywise:

 

Pennywise vs Marquis de Sade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(replyi to Old Man above, Chainmail vs D&D4)

 

Depends on what you wanted.  Chainmail was for unit combat rather than individual combat, for the most part, and coming from a perspective in miniatures gaming with units on a sand-table sort of set-up, and quality of unit (rabble vs regulars vs elites) mattered but wasn't something you explicitly developed over extended play.  D&D4 was for individual figures, and tried to maintain a specific system of combat mechanics that kind-of worked from level 1 through level 30.

 

Oop, DT just replied.

 

Hmm.  The Pygmalion vs MFL question is almost unique in having to think hard about that.  Usually, remakes are inevitably disappointments, and MFL is not exactly a remake of Pygmalion, which is a film version of a GB Shaw play, while MFL is from the different adaptation of that play.

 

I think I'll go completely against type and choose the 1964 film here.

 

OK, now my challenge.  Hmm. 

 

Homemade chicken pot pie  vs   Dungeness crab & fresh artichoke and warm sourdough bread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Seriously ?

Heat not only had Pacino and De Niro but Danny Trejo, Tom Noonan, Wes studi and Ted Levine.

 

Why'd you ask, then?  ;)

 

 

46 minutes ago, Cancer said:

 

Homemade chicken pot pie  vs   Dungeness crab & fresh artichoke and warm sourdough bread.

 

I'm a sucker for good chicken pot pie.

 

 

Comfort food combat:

 

Grilled cheese sandwich vs. Mac and cheese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Comfort food combat:

 

Grilled cheese sandwich vs. Mac and cheese

 

I know a place locally that sells a grilled mac and cheese sandwich.

 

Comfort Food Combat Part Deux:

Ice cream vs. Brownies 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brownies.  It's hard to ruin Brownies and they don't melt.  Ice Cream is awesome, but you're on the clock and some awful stuff can go in there.

 

The dystopian nightmare of 2019 that is Bladerunner vs. dystopian nightmare of November 2019 that is The Running Man vs. the dystopian nightmare that is reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Of those, only The Running Man had a happy ending.

 

 

Comfort Food Conflict III:

 

Grilled Mac and Cheese Sandwich vs. Ice Cream Brownie vs. Fried Chicken With Mashed Potatoes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Old Man said:

 

Of those, only The Running Man had a happy ending.

 

 

Comfort Food Conflict III:

 

Grilled Mac and Cheese Sandwich vs. Ice Cream Brownie vs. Fried Chicken With Mashed Potatoes

I guess.

But I really really wanted sequels with Bob Barker and Pat Sajack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Old Man said:

 

Of those, only The Running Man had a happy ending.

 

 

Comfort Food Conflict III:

 

Grilled Mac and Cheese Sandwich vs. Ice Cream Brownie vs. Fried Chicken With Mashed Potatoes

I don't know, the dystopian nightmare that is reality has some promise (translation - I long for the relief that death will bring).

 

The only one my grandma ever made was Fried Chicken With Mashed Potatoes

 

How about a battle of the second stringers.... Matt Helm vs Derek Flint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 3:01 PM, Cancer said:

They share the world in a time-varying sense, where the degree of influence of each changes over time.  Neither is ever wholly absent, or in total control, at any given point.

 

There are reasons to suspect that the dystopia of In Watermelon Sugar also is present, but it seems to have lesser importance in the global scheme of things at this time.

 

It is to be expected the presently dominant pair will fade and others will assert dominance in the future.

 

 

Most likely dystopian end state:  I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream  vs  Planet of the Apes

 

I always figure the Planet of the Apes will indeed come to pass.  Except, not because apes got any smarter, just that humans getting significantly dumber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 8:27 AM, death tribble said:

Flint on the basis that Dean Martin got lazy

 

Original film vs remake film 22

 

Manhunter 1986 vs Red Dragon 2002 

 

I forget all the non-Silence of the Lambs movies (which is which), so I'll say Red Dragon

 

So,

 

Scooby Doo episode with special guest Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China).  Awesome? Yes or No.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...