Can Duplicates be made Nonpersistent?

Brandi

And if so, what happens when they stop being activated?

It came to mind when I was imagining someone projecting a mental energy self in a little different way than the Astral Body write up in the FREd sidebar. I was thinking limititations Nonpersistent and Requires Concentration Throughout and then wondered if that's legal, or even practical...

Check the FAQ, but since Duplication normally requires an act to recombine, I'd say it is not a candidate for nonpersistent.

If you're wanting Astral Projection, though, I'd recommend looking at Clairsentience. In my campaign I started out modeling it as BOECV Clairsentience and allowing the use of mental powers and BOECV + LOS powers from the clairsentient point. Later I just converted it to a new power ("Projection") that functions similarly to Clairsentience.

It is much, much less of a bookkeeping and number-crunching headache this way.

Well, here's the idea I was thinking of: a man who died... but came back. However, it's as if his soul is no longer as strongly tied to his body as it used to be-- he can project it from his body very easily (no preparation, as compared to the Astral Projection outlined in the FREd sidebar), but it's tiring and requires concentration (so we'd have Costs Fatigue and Requires Concentration Throughout as Limitations).

However, I did run across this part of the FAQ:

"Q: If a character buys Duplication that Costs Endurance to maintain, what happens if he runs out of END, or becomes Stunned or Knocked Out?

A: In that situation, the Duplicates collapse and cannot revive until they rejoin the original character and are re-created. The original character would have to oversee the rejoining process, since the Duplicates cannot go to him and rejoin by themselves."

Now see, this wouldn't fit what I'm thinking of, unless Ranged Recombination can be used to overcome this.

Anyway, the 'ghost self' would have the same stats and powers but also Inherent Desolidification and Life Support.

The tricky thing is: if I have a power that both the living and the soul character can use, must I buy the Affects Real World modifier for both characters?

The power I was thinking of was, admittedly, a nasty one: like Wild Cards' Demise, this man can, in either form, force a person to experience the horrors of his death by making and maintaining eye contact-- probably something like Drain Body, BOECV, Eye Contact throughout. It might also have an interesting side effect like draining PRE from the hero (recalling one's death is terrifying!).

If I can hash this out I'd really like to put it on the Character Posting Game thread. :D

Originally posted by Brandi

Anyway, the 'ghost self' would have the same stats and powers but also Inherent Desolidification and Life Support.

The tricky thing is: if I have a power that both the living and the soul character can use, must I buy the Affects Real World modifier for both characters?

If only the duplicate has Desolidification and Life Support, then you're already paying for the Altered Duplicates advantage -- and probably at the +1/2 level or higher. Give the astral duplicate the Affects Real World advantage, and leave it off on the main character.