Creating an "Unbreakable" Magical Weapon

C-Note

So I want to create an "unbreakable" magical dagger as treasure. The characters won't be spending character points on it.  I don't think it's an Unbreakable Focus as it is not recoverable if they lose it.  Do I simply NOT use the "Real Weapon" limitation, or is there another preferred method to make it "unbreakable"?

Hero doesn't really do absolute effects, so a truly unbreakable object simply doesn't exist within the confines of the rules.

Bell Cranel from the downloads wields an 'unbreakable' knife (shameless plug). Here is the write up for it:

Hestia Knife:​  HKA (Physical) 1d6+1, Zero END (+½) (30 APs); Does Not Leave Holes (-¼), No Knockback (-¼), OAF Personal Unbreakable (-1). Total Cost:​  12 points.
Durability: 6 Power Defense (Death of Hestia).

Hestia is the goddess Bell worships. Given that she is fairly powerless by herself, and goes out of her way to help Bell, the possibility of her death can be considered "reasonably common" enough to serve as the destruction condition of the Hestia Knife. Although I doubt that condition is actually cannon.

In lieu of making it truly Unbreakable, you could just make it Durable (doubling the rPD/rED it receives based on its active points) at not cost. Either way (Unbreakable or Durable) such a weapon would not take Real Weapon since its unbreakability/durability extends to it not needing basic care and maintenance.

Recoverability is a modifier on a Focus, as is breakability. I wasn't clear with my statement. I don't believe that Focus is the way to go since the Killing Attack is inherent in the weapon, not "Focusing" a power of the character.

Recoverability is a modifier on a Focus, as is breakability. I wasn't clear with my statement. I don't believe that Focus is the way to go since the Killing Attack is inherent in the weapon, not "Focusing" a power of the character.

By that logic, virtually nothing is a Focus.

A Focus is simply an item which is critical to the use of a Power/ability - it has nothing to do with "focusing" the power of the character. Focus is absolutely the way to go, based on the description. Unbreakable Focus and you're done.

You are incorrect. Recoverability​ is not a modifier for Foci, it is a modifier for Charges.

The qualities of Foci are Obviousness, Accessibility, Mobility, Expendability, and Durability.

Foci have nothing inherently to do with focusing a power possessed by the character themselves. In fact the modifier's most common usage is representing Game Elements inherent to an objects possessed by the characters; such as the HKA inherent to a bladed weapon, the Resistant Protection inherent to a suit of armor, or the Radio Perception/Transmition inherent to a hand-held radio. This is why the rules for constructing heroic equipment require that all such powers take Focus.

The only time a power defined as possession of an Object doesn't take Focus is when the object can neither be destroyed nor taken away by any means. Such objects typically only exist in Superheroic Campaigns. An example would be Dr. Destroyer's Powered-Armor, which never breaks, and cannot be removed even if he is defeated or killed.

So I want to create an "unbreakable" magical dagger as treasure. The characters won't be spending character points on it.  I don't think it's an Unbreakable Focus as it is not recoverable if they lose it.  Do I simply NOT use the "Real Weapon" limitation, or is there another preferred method to make it "unbreakable"?

I am curious as to the nature of an unbreakable magic dagger that cannot be recovered if it is lost. Why not? Knowing that makes it easier to suggest a build that provides what you want.

Doc

So I want to create an "unbreakable" magical dagger as treasure. The characters won't be spending character points on it. I don't think it's an Unbreakable Focus as it is not recoverable if they lose it. Do I simply NOT use the "Real Weapon" limitation, or is there another preferred method to make it "unbreakable"?

Domt use real weapon. Add Difficult to Dispel.

Make it a focus, declare it Unbreakable. Warn that if they lose it it's probably gone. It's a treasure, not something they paid points for. Easy come, easy go.

Done.

Lucius Alexander

Unbreakable palindromedary tagline