Taxonomy

PhilFleischmann

And then one day it suddenly occurred to me to add some sort of "scientific" taxonomy to the fantasy races, and perhaps to the monsters as well, to my fantasy wolrd.  Have any of you don't anything like this?  I'm not looking for anything actually scientific - I'm looking for a classification that the people (specifically human sages) would come up with within the game world.  So it may have various internal inconsistencies and biases.  For example, if humans are homo sapiens, then halflings might me called homo minimus.  Of course, if the halflings had come up with this system, they might have called themselves homo sapiens and humans homo gigantes.  But of course, halflings probably would never waste their time on such foolishness.  A taxonomic system like this is something only a human would come up with.

So, what would be the "scientific" names of the various fantasy races?  Elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes, orcs, lizardfolk, catfolk, etc.  And speaking of gigantes, ogres, trolls, and giants, too.  Which of these fall under the same genus of "homo" and which are some other genus?  And what would that genus be called?

And yes, I suppose such a system could be extended to the non-humanoid creatures in the fantasy world as well:  dragons, gryphons, centaurs, demons, etc., but my main focus for now is the humanoid-types, particularly the PC races, and others that are intelligent enough to form societies and cultures - that wear clothes and use organized language.

It would not surprise me if someone has already worked out something like this.  Multiple people even.  So...have you?

Hmm. My initial objection is based on thoroughly modern ideas of common descent and cladistics, and leads me to point out that there may not BE any actual relationship between fantasy "races", thanks to literal acts of special creation by various gods.

My second thought is that "taxonomy" is just naming things. In Shadowrun, the various races all get named as subspecies of homo because, well, they explicitly ARE. I can only imagine fierce debates raging among human scholars as to whether "degenerate savages" like the orcs should be labeled as belonging to the same genus as humans.

If they did, however, I'd expect that the species name would be an adjective like "robust" or "barbaric" or something, but in Latin.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm. My initial objection is based on thoroughly modern ideas of common descent and cladistics, and leads me to point out that there may not BE any actual relationship between fantasy "races", thanks to literal acts of special creation by various gods.

Yeah, so? The taxonomy system we use in the real world was created without any knowledge of evolution.

My second thought is that "taxonomy" is just naming things. ... I can only imagine fierce debates raging among human scholars as to whether "degenerate savages" like the orcs should be labeled as belonging to the same genus as humans.

If they did, however, I'd expect that the species name would be an adjective like "robust" or "barbaric" or something, but in Latin.

Right. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.