Harn and character point

steph

To be honest, I think I would only allow the characters to choose maybe 25 points of complications and assign others dependent on their origin. This would give a much heavier tie into the setting and ensure players were tied into the right tropes.

I also think that the players should be relatively low powered, so perhaps no more than 100 points at the very most, I would also be heavily limiting the CV and defences of the players. Harn is pretty low fantasy but the characters should be richly rewarded for having lots of skills and knowledge. Combat should be dangerous and something you enter only when you are certain of success.

All in my humble opinion of course...

Doc

I ran a short campaign in Harn. We did a really gritty, low powered game with 45 base points plus up to another 15 in compilations. Equipment was purchased with money which I was really stingy with. It was going well until one of the players died from infection and didn't want to create a new character. It kinda just died after that.

I ran a Harn campaign for a while.  It was gritty and low fantasy.  There was a bit of magic involved, almost could be explained by natural means.  I would recommend using all the combat rules to get the real gritty flavor of Harn.  Players should treat combat as an opportunity to be seriously injured, lose a limb or die.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ran a long-running Hârn campaign starting around the late 90s. I believe I ended up going 125 points, with up to 50 from disads. The thing I did that had the most impact, was to use the Hit Location chart and DOUBLE the number in the BODYx column. All of a sudden, a regular fight (in Fantasy Hero terms) could end up being deadly, and a single big wound could take a long, long time to heal (since there was no magical healing).

That was a great campaign, helped in no small part by the gorgeous supplements for the campaign. The maps, the art, everything was so evocative...

• 2 months later...

What sort of Hârn game do you want to run?

For gritty low-fantasy consider competent normal (100pts + 30 in matching complications). You could go down to skilled normal (50 + 25 matching) if you're feeling particularly bold.

For a typical Heroic game, Standard Heroic (175 + 50 matching) works well.

Have you considered a superheroic game? PCs might be the sons of Noron, of Atànasîr (incubus) or vaènasîr (succubus) parentage. They might be Ívashù. They may be grey magi, on speaking terms with (or members of) the Council of Eleven.

Hârn is a very broad setting.