Linked Question

Hi All,

I'm building a power (using 5th Edition) for a player character that represents the hero making the target look into the "void" (a flash attack) that also induces fear. I have it built as follows:

Gaze Into The Void:  Sight Group Flash 3d6; Limited Range (20"; -1/4) <b>plus</b> Drain PRE 3d6; Power Does Not Work If Flash Has No Effect (-1/2), Linked (Flash; -1/4)

My question is, do I have to purchase Ranged on the linked Drain, or is that not necessary because the Drain is linked to the Flash, which is already a ranged attack. Page 300 of the 5th Edition Revised seems to indicate this is the case, but is a tad unclear. Any insight anyone might have would be appreciated.

[D]o I have to purchase Ranged on the linked Drain, or is that not necessary because the Drain is linked to the Flash, which is already a ranged attack. Page 300 of the 5th Edition Revised seems to indicate this is the case, but is a tad unclear. Any insight anyone might have would be appreciated.

I agree that it's a bit unclear.  My reading is that if the lesser and greater powers both work at Range (and therefore it could be described as "A Linked power that works at Range"), then the lesser power gets the greater power's Range for free.  In other words, I think the Linking can increase the Range of the lesser power, but it doesn't grant Range to the lesser power.