What sort of books would you like see published for Hero System?

phoenix240

I just don't see licensing properties as a viable business option in Hero.  I'd rather see novels/comics/e-books released in the campaign worlds for the settings used in Hero (rather than the other way around). Again, using Fantasy Hero as an example, why not have a trilogy of books set in the campaign setting? Or even a few anthologies?

But this is a wish-list thread, so who cares what the practical issues are! Let's par-tay! :rockon:

I'd love to see the Talislanta property come to Hero. That's a well-established but distinctive, broad yet highly-detailed fantasy world that's currently languishing. IMO Hero's universality is just the thing to translate the many distinctive elements of its attendant game system.

The problem with campaign books in HERO, IMHO, is that they are just campaign books.  They do not show the campaign as being fun.  I want to see interesting adventures attached to this campaign source book.  Yes, a Harry Potter styled campaign might be fun, but if you include a few adventures while they are 1st years, that would help insure it is fun.  The next module would include more campaign stuff and another few adventures for second years, ad nauseum.

Licensing draws in interest, it gives fans of a setting or brand a new expression for their enjoyment and draws eyeballs to the system in general.

Take it from me, writing new books is not the road to success :/

To each their own. It wasn't a licensed product that brought me to Hero in the first place and I don't think it's needed in modern days either. I'd rather see a more streamlined system that looks like modern RPG books, and maybe some fiction to support it. 

Personally, what I don't want to see:

* Licensed settings -- no interest at all -- unless someone knows the licensed world as well as those who officially write for it, I really don't want them creating material for it. Plus I have never been the type to imagine myself in a TV or book setting. 

* Detailed settings -- far easier to come up with something of my own rather than reading and absorbing a big book

What I'd like to see:

* Books of adventures seeds and ideas with thoughts on where to take them

* Books of setting ideas with maybe a page or two on each setting

* In general, books that are more about teaching a GM to fish as opposed to giving him fish.

* In general, books that are more about teaching a GM to fish as opposed to giving him fish.

Do you have Aaron Allston's Strike Force? If not I recommend it highly.

Strike Force is less of a Campaign Setting book (although is can be used as one), and more of a How To Campaign book which just happens to present enough examples of how he composed his campaign and just enough information regarding how it developed to use his setting if you wanted. The section detailing the "Strike Force Method" alone was worth the cover price.

Also almost any of the Genre Books, Champions​Fantasy Hero, Star Hero​, etc. Steve Long's research and advice on Genre Simulation is priceless.

Do you have Aaron Allston's Strike Force? If not I recommend it highly.

Strike Force is less of a Campaign Setting book (although is can be used as one), and more of a How To Campaign book which just happens to present enough examples of how he composed his campaign and just enough information regarding how it developed to use his setting if you wanted. The section detailing the "Strike Force Method" alone was worth the cover price.

Also almost any of the Genre Books, Champions​Fantasy Hero, Star Hero​, etc. Steve Long's research and advice on Genre Simulation is priceless.

I own pretty much everything that has been published by Hero Games over the past 36 years.

So Tasha, you want to actually have a full game built upon the foundation of Hero, sans the part of Hero that is supposedly the big draw to the system? That is both bold and, coincidentally, sort of like the project I am working on. I admit that I never envisioned keeping the Power building rules out completely. I always figured a sort of mini-rules presentation, methods of pre-generating characters with a very D&D-esque Race/Class system (mechanically done for my project), and the support material to tweak interest in the system. After that, I thought about tutorials on how to do it yourself by starting simple and increasing complexity. The idea of expanding that idea to an entire product line and omitting the "here's how YOU do it" aspect did not occur to me. Interesting.

I really need to get some more information of Savage World's Plot Points. What book(s) would be a good place to start looking? 

I would suggest you motor over to the Savage Worlds forums, but they've hit a snag getting those back up it looks like. Almost any setting book has a Plot Point campaign to go with it. 

I had this bookmarked because I generally try to write Plot Point Campaigns for every game I run (I suck at it so the results are mixed, but there it is). https://www.peginc.com/plot-points/ should get you what you want to know.

Forgot to add that I think the best Plot Point Campaigns take players all over the setting (or a very variably sized chunk of it) and gives them a chance to experience all the cool stuff that your setting has to offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, if we're talking the Hero Games of our dreams, something for the builders, and something for the out-of-the-boxers, would be ideal. The sad reality is, both groups of fans together don't seem to have enough buying power to make it happen, at least not any more. :(

There are also seems to be some divisive hostility between the two groups, unfortunately. 

Well, I don't think that's universal. But some fans are very passionate about the game, and their preferences for it. In some cases they also have strong opinions about what Hero Games should do to be more successful. When conflicting opinions and passions are expressed there's bound to be some sparks.

I'm sure that's why phoenix240, who started this thread, specified in his first post that it was "Just as personal preference, not as an attempt to 'save' it but just things you'd like to see. Dream as big as you like!" An expression of desires is a safer topic than a debate over strategies.

• Vorkosigan Hero - a license for Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga

GURPS got in first with that a few years ago. Chances are that may preclude HERO, but I'm sure you could use the GURPS one to easily set it up using Star Hero.

Did they ever redo Allston's 3e classic Lands of Mystery? I realise it would fall under Pulp Hero, but it's a subgenre well worth examination, and seems to have had a bit of a renaissance through Hollow Earth Expedition and the like.

(There's a good reason why second hand copies of that book go for up to several hundred dollars on Amazon and ebay. One of the very best supplements ever written.)

Did they ever redo Allston's 3e classic Lands of Mystery? I realise it would fall under Pulp Hero, but it's a subgenre well worth examination, and seems to have had a bit of a renaissance through Hollow Earth Expedition and the like.

Not exactly a redo of LoM, but Steve Long did write a nice little (36-page) PDF book for Fifth Edition describing a very similar setting, Inner-Earth. You get quite a bit for only $2.50 US.

Well, I don't think that's universal. But some fans are very passionate about the game, and their preferences for it. In some cases they also have strong opinions about what Hero Games should do to be more successful.

I agree, I don't think there's any conflict, just differing ideas on what people think will best help the game.