'17-18 NBA Thread

Enforcer84

21 hours ago, Cygnia said:

It feels like basketball players are getting hurt with alarming frequency, or developing the sort of chronic conditions that wreck careers and make life after basketball difficult.

That thinking is probably delusional, though. I'm old enough to remember the ignominious end of Bill Walton in Portland, whose feet became relatively fragile and for whom the treatment offered by the team doctors masked the issue and made things worse. He ended up going first to San Diego and then to Boston to finish out his career.

20 hours ago, Enforcer84 said:

Not bad that the Jazz lost their best player, picked up an unloved Ricky Rubio, started the season with a starting lineup that was killing themselves and ended the season with that starting line up killing the rest of the NBA.

It helps that Donovan Mitchell has played as well as he has. He's getting serious Rookie of the Year buzz. And Rudy Gobert is in the running for Defensive Player of the Year as well.

Guys have definitely stepped up in the absence of Gordon Hayward.

14 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

It feels like basketball players are getting hurt with alarming frequency, or developing the sort of chronic conditions that wreck careers and make life after basketball difficult.

That thinking is probably delusional, though. I'm old enough to remember the ignominious end of Bill Walton in Portland, whose feet became relatively fragile and for whom the treatment offered by the team doctors masked the issue and made things worse. He ended up going first to San Diego and then to Boston to finish out his career.

Look at this way.  At least it isn't football.  "Chronic" is generally better than "debilitating".

4 hours ago, Enforcer84 said:

DAMMIT Magic Johnson!

You managed to have the best story of the NBA this season. 

Stoopid Lakers.

https://deadspin.com/andre-ingram-is-the-nbas-best-story-1825176085

32 Year old Rookie lights it up in his NBA Debut

I have a hard time liking anything having to do with the hated Lakers, but I'll make an exception for this.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Enforcer84 said:

Ok my sobbing is done.

Is it next season yet? What do you mean there's still playoffs? *MY* team was eliminated. Call the whole %(YU@)ing thing off!

So how about them 76ers? 

I'd like for someone not named Cleveland and Golden State to win or at least make the championship at this point.

Your opinions have been forwarded to the appropriate minister, citizens. 

Of the teams left, I think by order of preferred to least preferred: Toronto, Utah, Indianapolis, 76ers. Milwaukee, Golden State, Boston, Cleveland, OKC, Washington, New Orleans, Houston. 

And I'm kind of waffling on some of the placement of the top 5 there.

As long as Houston doesn't win, I'll be pleased. 

Toronto could just use it. Lowry deserves a deep Playoff run. Demarr has raised his game and the whole team is a redemption story.

Utah has been amazing this season whenever anyone begins to doubt them

Indiana makes me happy. Indy has been a feel good story all season with Oloadipo's rise and I am pleased to see Sabonis play well as I was a huge fan of his Dad.

The 76ers are fun. It's nice to see Embiid finally playing. 

I love Giannis (even if I can't spell, let alone pronounce his name) and I have to admit a series between Milwaukee and New Orleans would be pretty amazing to watch.

I have no problem with Golden State, in fact aside from Kevin Durant who I find annoying I really like them

And Boston is doing so well despite key players absences it's hard not to root for these guys and that coach.

I have no problem with LeBron and Cleveland, in fact if Larry Nance Jr gets a ring there I will be ecstatic for him. Good kid and I'm so pleased he got out of LA

I didn't place OKC in there...let me fix that. I actually love Russ, PG, and Steve Adams. I will never get over the betrayal of Carmelo Anthony. (I was sure he'd be a better team guy than he turned out to be)

I'm not sure I dislike Washington as much as I feel right now. I think John Wall is my second favorite player to come from the hated Duke University. But they seem like Jerks this year.

can't cheer for the Pelicans just yet. But Anthony Davis has been amazing. 

Houston annoys me. Though I like Clint Capella's game. I dislike Harden's Game. I also think Paul is overrated - and the idea of them combining forces to put their past playoff swoons behind them only to swoon in the playoffs when being the best team in the NBA really appeals to me.

The playoffs (with the exception of Portland's s#!%show) has been very entertaining. I wish the Wolves had strung together another win. 

Yeah, I have been annoyed by Durant for awhile.  I like Klay Thompson, I like Draymond Green's playing style (with the exception of occasionally trying to render his opponents infertile), though his personality sometimes rubs me the wrong.  Curry has annoyed the last year or so, so while he is still in the positive, it isn't as much.  Note: I think I only hate Golden St because I hate every other sports team from the Bay Area, it just seems natural  (the Raiders would be would be if not for their move be my 2nd best liked team from the Bay Area so let that sink in)  2nd Note: Well I could like the Oakland A's if they ever got rid of Billy Beane, I did like them at times before him.  But, his pompous smarter than thou act wore thin 15 years ago.

Actually what I hate most about Houston is D'Antoni, never cared for him.  I admit I would love to see Houston make the championship but lose in it.

Sabonis-always felt bad for the elder Sabonis, never got to show off his skills in his prime, then when he gets over here he was soon to be stuck with the pile of crap that was the Jailblazers (pretty much the only upstanding member of that team,  though I think Detlef Shrempf, who I always liked played there briefly)

Kawhi Leonard was my big disappointment of the year. I had always liked his apparent work ethic, but I kind of feel about him what I felt about Rose at the end of the season after his first knee injury.  "I'm healthy enough to make some contribution, but screw the season and the team, I'll wait till I get perfect"  (Always had my issues with Jordan, but I did admire the way he fought to get back that season he missed 64 games).  And if I believed in karma, I couldn't but think the future injuries was some kind of payback on Rose  (not really of course, I hate any injury, and I mostly just feel pity for Rose at this point, wishing he'd retire for good and find some other way off-court to represent pro basketball)

I guess for me Philly, Milwaukee (I always seem to like big men who think they are PGs, despite the fact the Bud Selig effect causes me to almost hate any sports teams from Milwaukee) and OKC (I didn't like Westbrook early in his career, but since Durant left he has grown on me,  and George and Adams I've always respected their games) are probably my 3 teams at this point to pull for most.