Legalities in a superhero battle

DJWebb2

Well, sorta.  If you hit the ground at 30 mph after flying 40 feet, you'll bounce, roll and drag, which is less damage than hitting a wall. Same horizontal velocity, but without that sudden stop at the end.

Indeed. I could have worded that better - they are two distinct things and the rules already cover the difference :)

What I intended to say was simply that distance does not determine the damage. Hitting a vertical (full KB damage) or landing on the ground (half KB damage) does.

And as far as residual KB after smashing through a wall - that also passes the reality check (lose KB per DEF and BODY and travel any remainder).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether you shoot an arrow (on a level path, in an arc things change), or drop an arrow, it will hit the ground at the same time. 

In "science land" where there are no external forces except the ones being experimented with, that's how it works.  But out in the field, of course, there are a lot of other factors involved, which affect the behavior of objects such as lift, wind, etc. That's why a sniper can hit a target more than a mile away with a bullet which takes half a second to hit the floor.

In "science land" where there are no external forces except the ones being experimented with, that's how it works.  But out in the field, of course, there are a lot of other factors involved, which affect the behavior of objects such as lift, wind, etc. That's why a sniper can hit a target more than a mile away with a bullet which takes half a second to hit the floor.

Yep. But for the purposes of the KB discussion those other factors are minimal - we're not normally knocking folks so hard that drag becomes a factor before they hit the ground or a wall.

Flyers normally come to a halt under their own steam, but strictly speaking stunned or unconscious ones should keep travelling horizontally at the KB rate (I'd use SPD 2 as with other environmental factors) as well as falling, until they hit something.

It'd be something that would come up a lot in orbit or underwater, though. I assume 6e proper discusses that.