College Football 2017-2018

Funny stat fact: Oklahoma has 11 conference championships of the 22 years the Big XII has existed. Tied for 2nd is texas and Baker Mayfield at 3 (this year was 3 in a row, counting the shared 2015 championship).

Oh, another weird factoid - if OU and Georgia match up in the post season it would be the first meeting of the two Universities on the football field. Ever.

44 minutes ago, Badger said:

ANyway, with Alabama, my criteria is simple.  If a team isn't good enough to play for their conference championship, then they aren't qualified to play in the national championship. 

100% agree. Conference champion is explicitly one of the factors the committee claims matters. Be interesting to see what they do.

8 minutes ago, Hyper-Man said:

I hope Ohio State wins but Alabama still stays in front of them to make the playoffs which will force expansion to 8 teams. :) 

I find that I could bear that outcome with great fortitude.

Go to 4 16 team conferences, each with 4 divisions which would allow 2 internal semifinal games before conference championships would act as automatic play-in games for the national playoffs. If all conferences played a 9 game conference schedule (3 vs division, 3 vs permanent interdivisional rivals, and 3 vs 3 of the other 9 on a 3 year rotation plus 3 still allow nonconference games) the problems are largely solved.

The most likely scenario has OU and OSU going to the SEC, WVU to the ACC, ND joining the ACC in football, KU and UCONN to BIG10  and Texas + 2 or 3 other Texas schools to the PAC12 (Boise State might get an invite over a Texas team). It could all start when the BIG12's Grant of rights expire in 2025.      

It could happen :)

Yeah, the simple thing to do (and would be basically my criteria) eliminate the weakest of the 5 winners, and go from there (well a strong independent Notre Dame may get an exception-are they still independent? I am drawing a blank, since they unofficially play a lot of vs ACC)

Notre Dame is an ACC member in football and plays 5 teams from the conference each year as part of that membership agreement. So they're only mostly Independent. /miraclemax

And I agree with the argument that with all P5 Conferences now hosting championship games, there's no need for an 8-team playoff.

Unless the Committee chooses Alabama over Ohio State later today.

6 hours ago, Badger said:

I'm mixed on an 8-teamer.   Too many games as it is.  If they want to reduce the regular season by 1 game, then yes.  But, that aint gonna happen.

Let's eliminate the I-AA (FCS) game pretty much everyone plays every year. Make it a scrimmage that doesn't count in the team's record.

...unless the I-AA team wins. :eg:

5 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Notre Dame is an ACC member in football and plays 5 teams from the conference each year as part of that membership agreement. So they're only mostly Independent. /miraclemax

And I agree with the argument that with all P5 Conferences now hosting championship games, there's no need for an 8-team playoff.

Unless the Committee chooses Alabama over Ohio State later today.

I think they just have an agreement to play the ACC, they are still technically an independent football program (and hockey, I believe).  For every other sport, they belong to the ACC.  I'm not sure of the specifics, I think they get to do that because they still have huge television/media contracts independent of a conference.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Yeah, the simple thing to do (and would be basically my criteria) eliminate the weakest of the 5 winners, and go from there (well a strong independent Notre Dame may get an exception-are they still independent? I am drawing a blank, since they unofficially play a lot of vs ACC)

ND only plays 5 vs ACC and cannot win the conference.  If they ever decide to join one it would have to be the ACC because they also signed the grant of tv rights deal in case a 'hard' conference champ only provision was ever added to the committee rules.

4 hours ago, Starlord said:

I think they just have an agreement to play the ACC, they are still technically an independent football program (and hockey, I believe).  For every other sport, they belong to the ACC.  I'm not sure of the specifics, I think they get to do that because they still have huge television/media contracts independent of a conference.

Hockey is a unique case. Few Power 5 schools play the sport, which is expensive to mount. So most of the traditional powers of NCAA hockey are in lower divisions in other sports. Some don't even play other sports, but both genders play hockey, which satisfies the requirements of Title IX (unlike football, hockey is a sport women play, though unlike in basketball the women get almost no publicity).

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

So, what do we think? I'm thinking:

1. Clemson

2. Georgia

3. Oklahoma

4. Ohio State 

But, I'm frequenly wrong about these things.

Flip 2 and 3 and you've got what I think will happen. Too big a jump to move Georgia all the way to 2.

Kind of hope you are right though. If OU doesn't move up and gets jumped by Georgia they'll get to play the disrespect card again... OU does really well all year with that situation. "Chip on the shoulder"

On 11/25/2017 at 5:40 PM, Pariah said:

So Auburn beat Alabama in the Iron Bowl today.

Which means if Auburn beats Georgia in next week's SEC Championship Game, the SEC West will have two teams in the four team College Football Playoff.

Write it down.

:mad:

Sometimes I hate being right.

:mad: