College Football 2017-2018

9 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

So if Alabama wins, by the transitive property the UCF Golden Knights(the team that beat the team that beat Alabama) are the true national champions.  Go Orlando! :P

I'll go with Ohio St, since they should have been in.  Don't care for them, but still better.

A collapse of the BigXII with Oklahoma and either OSU or Kansas(preferably) going to the SEC in 2025 is possible/likely scenario when the conference's grant of rights expire. The current playoff deal also expires around the same time.  The exit of 2 BigXII teams would likely trigger the remaining teams to scramble to find new homes in the BIG, PAC12 and ACC. Notre Dame finally joins the ACC in football and Texas would likely join the PAC12 or BIG providing for 4 16 team conferences with a 8 team playoff built in with conference semifinals.

23 minutes ago, Hyper-Man said:

A collapse of the BigXII with Oklahoma and either OSU or Kansas(preferably) going to the SEC in 2025 is possible/likely scenario when their grant of rights expire. The current playoff deal also expires around the same time.  The exit of 2 BigXII teams would likely trigger the remaining teams to scramble to find new homes in the BIG, PAC12 and ACC. Notre Dame finally joins the ACC in football and Texas would likely join the PAC12 or BIG providing for 4 16 team conferences with a 8 team playoff built in with conference semifinals.

That's a possibility, but would in my opinion require David Boren to retire as President of the University of Oklahoma. He's been very transparent in his disdain for the SEC, which he sees as culturally antithetical to operating with integrity (basically sees the SEC as the wrong direction for the University - the football program being a secondary or tertiary interest in conference affiliation, he wants academic cache).

Given the train wreck that happened with the last round... wouldn't be surprised to see the Big XII keep limping along. The money is good, and there's not much risk for the brand really. A no loss or one loss conference champ if it's Texas or OU will always be in the playoff. 

Above all else, I expect that OU (and likely Texas) will want to come out of the next round of conference carousel making money and looking good. Lots of ego involved, maybe more than money at this point. The PAC12 snub was devastating. 

Fans may feel differently, of course. But we don't get a vote in football operations.

9 hours ago, Pariah said:

Dammit, Georgia, you had one job!

On those missed Alabama field goals, which I only heard (I switched off the telecast the moment you-know-who appeared, and the commercials for films that look for all the world like wartime propaganda were playing on heavy rotation), what were the holds like? It sounded to me like the kicker may not have been entirely to blame. I always feel sorry for the kickers when they miss in a key situation.

So the team from Georgia, clad in red and black, choked away a big second-half lead to a team almost universally hated except among its die-hard fans, and now we have to spend the next year hearing about how the winning team and its coach are the greatest of all time.

Where have I heard this one before....?

There was a feature the Oregonian used to run during football season called "The Bottom Ten". I believe it was a syndicated column. Its purpose was to openly mock the worst college football teams in the country with epithets like "Texas El Intercepted Paso".

Throughout its run, the Oregonian heard a lot of complaints. The main one was that this was cruel to the athletes -- a sort of bullying by the press. At the time Oregon and Oregon State had poorly-performing football programs. That they would show up on the Bottom Ten every so often did nothing to endear the column to readers in Oregon.

ESPN.com currently has a Bottom Ten column. I don't like it, much as I didn't like the original way back when. After all, even if a team loses 10-12 games in a 13-game season, their athletes are still working hard -- especially in the classroom, because when you're a college player with no pro prospects being on the team is still an opportunity to get an education you might not otherwise be able to afford. (Whether you take advantage of it, and don't foul it up, is of course up to you. But that's thousands of dollars of student loans you don't need to worry about.)