College Football 2017-2018

And BYU has its first win against a Division I opponent this season.

I never would have guessed that I'd have to wait until October 28th to say that.

On the other hand, there have been times this season when I wasn't sure I'd be able to say it at all.

Bedlam this year was one heck of a basketball game. 62-52 Sooner win. 

The good news, Baker Mayfield is legit and the Sooner offense is everything I'd hoped it would be. 

The bad news, Mike Stoops is still DC and the Sooner defense is everything I feared it might be. Ugh.

Still, I will take the win. 8-1. 

What the hell, Big Ten?  I thought that Ohio State was supposed to be our machine that played great football every week.  And now we've suddenly got Wisconsin, undefeated with the softest schedule in college football, as the only hope of the Big Ten making the playoffs this year?

And that's only if the committee doesn't pick both Alabama and Georgia, since their only loss will be to the other.

And I was kinda rooting for Notre Dame to get in this year, actually having some success at being an independent. (Sorry, Pariah)

Oy.  What a weird sport.

6 hours ago, novi said:

And I was kinda rooting for Notre Dame to get in this year, actually having some success at being an independent. (Sorry, Pariah)

Nothing to apologize for.  I know how things are.

Independence has not been the boon to BYU football that the administrators had hoped it would be. When BYU first left the Mountain West Conference, the thinking was that being an Independent would make it easier for the team to join a major conference (i.e., the Big XII) when that call came. But with the subsequent dilution of the Big 12 and their recent Lucy Van Pelt approach to expansion, the whole situation has pretty much killed any chance of BYU joining a major conference--or any conference--anytime in the near future.

So for the nonce, BYU is stuck with several more seasons like this one: playing 4 or 5 Power 5 teams (and likely losing at least half of those games) in September and early October, then finishing the schedule against cupcakes and limping to a third-tier bowl game bid somewhere. (Or not, as is the case this season.)

In all likelihood, it's going to get worse before it gets better for BYU. And I'm not sure I foresee it getting better.

Georgia gets crushed, Notre Dame gets crushed, Bama gets through on the skin of their teeth. Suddenly the ACC Championship Game (Clemson/Miami) looks huge.

And then there's the upcoming Alabama at Auburn. That matchup has surprised people before.

I actually watch the Miami game, kickoff to final kneel-down. Something I rarely do, especially for a blowout. Miami impressed me with their speed and aggressiveness, especially on defense. Notre Dame isn't a bad football team, but Miami made them look like dinosaurs -- big, dumb, and slow. Mind you, there were a lot of things working against the Irish (this was their first road game in more than a month, and the conditions were much hotter and more humid than anything they'd faced since September), but the 'Canes were the better football team on this day. They way they were flying around the field they could beat anybody.

Are they going to win the national championship? Ask me that question after the ACC Championship Game.

On 11/11/2017 at 10:17 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

Georgia gets crushed, Notre Dame gets crushed, Bama gets through on the skin of their teeth. Suddenly the ACC Championship Game (Clemson/Miami) looks huge.

And then there's the upcoming Alabama at Auburn. That matchup has surprised people before.

I actually watch the Miami game, kickoff to final kneel-down. Something I rarely do, especially for a blowout. Miami impressed me with their speed and aggressiveness, especially on defense. Notre Dame isn't a bad football team, but Miami made them look like dinosaurs -- big, dumb, and slow. Mind you, there were a lot of things working against the Irish (this was their first road game in more than a month, and the conditions were much hotter and more humid than anything they'd faced since September), but the 'Canes were the better football team on this day. They way they were flying around the field they could beat anybody.

Are they going to win the national championship? Ask me that question after the ACC Championship Game.

I'm not totally convinced Miami are the world beaters everyone seems to think. Yes, beating that Notre Dame team was impressive but who else have they beaten this season exactly? Virginia Tech? And then? Toledo? Duke? UNC?

I do agree we will know more after the ACC championship game, but not sure they are more than a very solid football team. There are definitely teams with better resumes right now, though beating a top 5 team is always impressive, especially convincingly. It will be them or Clemson in the playoff, barring crazy circumstances. 

Colorado State wore "State Pride" uniforms vs. Boise the other night. I'm not normally a fan of one-off gimmick uniforms (for example, the all-blacks that BYU wears once a year can all be dropped in a vat of acid, as far as I'm concerned), but these are pretty slick. I just wish they'd worn them the previous week, in the rivalry game against Wyoming.

38296146846_0f4b7b3101_b.jpg

(via Uni-Watch)

Miami all knotted up 28-28 against the mighty Virginia Cavaliers in the 3rd. Not looking as daunting this week. 

I still don't know if they are as good as people seem to think, or fool's gold. If nothing else they are inconsistent, which can be said of many championship level teams. 

They are very confusing, but none of the other top teams are going to be intimidated by what they're putting on the field this week. Sheesh.

And the Badgers are now up to 11-0 (8-0) for the first time in program history, with good odds at beating Minnesota next week for 12-0. Just wish I could say the same for the Big Ten Championship game against Ohio after that.

They are also working on that whole inconsistently consistent bit, outside of the defense.  Alex Hornibrook now leads college football in interceptions thrown this season, even as some of his other passes are really good.

Eh, Wisconsin is never going to be a pass-happy, power-throwing team.  1500 yard running backs and 2 meter tall farm boys for linemen is how they play the game.