Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tech priest support

Did you name your computer?

I got Monstro in 2012 and built this desktop at the end of 2010. Not that I'm attached to either one, but if we carry that analogy forward, that's like saying you wouldn't get too attached to a five or seven year old kid. Rather Swiftian concept.

Yeah, I keep mine until they cant go no more.  My current one is 2 years old (first Windows 10), I will admit once I got it going it has given me less trouble than most. (though getting it up and working was a pain, considering I was an XPer-with the exception of a brief tour of the nightmare that is Vista)

Already did (over and over and over), that is why it gets called that

Make amends to the machine god by putting this up as your desktop wallpaper, be sure to thank your computer when it works well, perform the rites of installing and updating viral wards, practice the rituals of defragmentation and cleansing regularly and the machine god will reward you with better performance.

post-60632-0-72415200-1502505291_thumb.jpg

Heh, well, I know a lot of my problems are due to being woefully not tech inclined. Imagine the least tech inclined person you know under the age of 50, new multiply by 10.

One reason I clung to XP, I finally figured it out more or less, I didnt want to spend years in re-education.

Really bad at tech is my mother, I finally taught how to turn on a computer. :winkgrin:  (ok she isn't that bad, but not far enough away from that for comfort)

Computers become obsolete so quickly nowadays, I don't seem to have the time to get attached enough to one to name it.

Ahhh, not necessarily so! I'm not bragging but I built my own computer and if it were to become "obsolete" I would have some options depending on my uncertain economic resources.

I could add a new high end video card for better gamine performance. I couild, if my CPU becomes inadequate, replace my mobo and CPU with a new AMD ryzen system while keeping all other parts.

If you build a good system in a good case with expansion capacity, you can have a future proof system for quite a while. Barring radical changes in basic computer system design.

I did tell my mother one time that computer should get female names due to their wild unpredictability.

MY mother gave me "the glare"

I maintainEd the opposite: Given that computers operate on logic I suggested not naming one after a woman. Later, however, I did name one Daria.

My current computer is named Victory and has an icon of Motoko Kusanagi, patron Goddess of man/machine interface, watching over it.