Futuristic Sports & Entertainment

tkdguy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Streaming is popular right now for obvious reasons. DRL is doing livestreams of their tryouts on YouTube right now. Although the pilots are manning sims instead of actual quadcopters, DRL's podcasts seem to be pretty popular. And while the Met has cancelled all live performances, it is streaming past performances on its website daily.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

Esports are surging as regular sports have cancelled their seasons.

This begs the question: Are esports actually sports? How do you define a sport? That has been a debate among my friends.

I would answer the first part of the question with a definite yes. If Chess is a sport (and it is treated as such in much of the world), League of Legends qualifies. This is especially true due to how challenging it is to play at a professional level, the extent of practice and training, etc. I've watched eSports events, and even attended one in person before the virus hit. They're sports.

According to Wittgenstein, our definition of a "sport", like anything else, depends on how we use the word "Sport". We have things that are definitely sports (like baseball), things that are definitely not sports (like seeing how long you can last in the ICU on a ventilator), and then we have this middle ground that makes us challenge the idea of what a sport is. ESports are an example; it's a very heavy competition that requires mental and physical exertion, and it can be played professionally. That seems to fit the definition of a sport. Chess does not require much physical exertion, but it does require razor-sharp mental acumen and discipline and many people enjoy watching it. Then there's Jeopardy -- a rigorous competition watch by millions, full of both mental challenge and strategic nuance. with the best players becoming celebrities. Is Ken Jennings a mental athlete, the Mickey Mantle of TV quiz shows?

Now you've inspired me to look up the MLB the Show tournament just starting up. It features major league baseball players representing their teams in a 29-game season (three-inning games). It's admittedly a novelty concept, and one that the people who actually play this game professionally might resent (because it makes it harder for the pros to get noticed in the general market), but it sounds like fun.

I personally don't count chess and poker as sports, since they don't have a lot of physical exertion. They are popular games, but I don't consider all games sports. I may consider esports including drone racing sports because they have a lot of hand-eye coordination. YMMV, of course.

• 2 weeks later...