Futuristic Sports & Entertainment

tkdguy

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2017 at 4:25 AM, tkdguy said:

Despite movies like Rollerball and Running Man, I don't see a lot of ultraviolent sports in my future society, although combat sports will still be around. Maybe robot combat will be a popular alternative, as will virtual reality combat, like the old BattleTech Centers in the 1990s. Laser tag is still around, even though it's past it's heyday.

Of course, there's more to entertainment than sports. For those interested in the performing arts, here are a few ideas.

How do people entertain themselves in your science fiction campaign?

You need to think about the future of cloning and how this would affect this.

You could have clones that are made with devices that allow one to enter into the clone to operate it as if it were a computer avatar only better.  You could have real life Doom games where death and pain are experienced first hand complete with respawning points after one "Dies!"

2 hours ago, indy523 said:

You need to think about the future of cloning and how this would affect this.

You could have clones that are made with devices that allow one to enter into the clone to operate it as if it were a computer avatar only better.  You could have real life Doom games where death and pain are experienced first hand complete with respawning points after one "Dies!"

I'm not sure if that would be legal. It probably won't be for long.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 7:31 AM, tkdguy said:

Metaverse is a virtual world in development and has already been implemented in part. It has potential benefits, but it has a lot of safety issues. Privacy issues and potential scams are bad enough, but incidents of sexual harassment and bullying have also been reported.

Old hat.  I’ve been onSecond Life since 2006, and made a fair amount of money on it. Incidents of scams, and sexual harassment were very common, and the scams ranged from annoying to spectacular. But sexual harassment generally was just Brazilians asking any cute female AV for sex, or inappropriate comments. However when you have an entire continent devoted to kinky adult pleasure, you know what is on a lot of people’s minds. 

I made my cash making working aircraft, because unlike other virtual worlds, the geography, other than private islands was contiguous, so it rewarded exploration. 

8 hours ago, tkdguy said:

If I ever join one of those platforms (highly unlikely), my avatar will be an green and purple alien blob.

There were a couple.  But mostly if people wanted to be socially distant, they generally picked robots as avatars. Or picked small birds. However most Avatar choices were aspirational, as in perfect physical specimens with expensive accessories, or something that was the opposite of themselves. Furries were their own culture, and having a furry avatar segregated them from regular humans. I had a lot of different avatars that I would change into depending on who I was doing business with.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think this topic has run its course. I have the lion's share of posts in the last few pages, and many of them were variations on a theme. So I'll just give my top 3 picks for sports and top 3 for entertainment. Feel free to do the same.

Top Three Futuristic Sports

1. Drone racing

2. Lightsaber fencing

3. Robot Wars/Battlebots

Top Three Futuristic Entertainment

1. Laser harp

2. Augmented reality

3. Interactive/immersive museums

Edit: I may still post a link or two if I think this thread is an appropriate place for it, and the subject hasn't appeared here before.

I could add one. We already see it in theme parks, and that is entertainment robots. But unlike theme park ones that are installations, these could be location independent, and location adaptive. Children’s birthday party? Company shows up with a show in a box and opens it in the back yard. Open the box in a hospital play room, or a park. They go through their scripted routine, then climb back into the box at the end.