Futuristic Sports & Entertainment

tkdguy

On 9/21/2022 at 8:55 AM, tkdguy said:

Burning Man usually has a lot of stuff that looks futuristic. I would have posted a link, but all the videos I found had someone dropping the f-bomb at least once.

Found some stuff appropriate for the boards. Many images reminds me of Airship Pirates, a roleplaying game based on Abney Park's songs. I wonder if the Nomads were influenced by Burning Man. Still, a post-apocalyptic sci-fi game intrigues me.

Some scenes from this year's event. Lots of skimpy clothing, but they're in the desert, after all.

One of the displays, a 28 foot diameter spinning disc filled with LEDs

And the obligatory drone show

I just watched the new Cronenberg movie Crimes of the Future. It is a future world with no space travel, where everything around us is totally synthetic, and that we are growing mysterious organs in our bodies. It has become performance art to cut into your own bodies and pull out these organs. Surgery has become an artform. 

Eventually it is revealed that these mysterious organs are designed to digest plastics. Our bodies are evolving to deal with the synthetic world. 

Kinda also forgot to mention, mankind can no longer feel pain. The worse one feels is extreme discomfort as someone drills into the back of your skull killing you.

• 2 weeks later...

Ages and ages ago, in Space Opera, we devised a gravity ball game. It was played in the 0g training rooms on space stations. Round goal at each end, ball fired from one of several random chutes to start the game. Basically a 0g version of rugby. Having assorted 0g maneuverability helped, EVA only a little as that is more precise movements, psionics used to cheat, and 0g combat skill was a big plus. Acrobatics would help. We also had a few people with martial arts that had the Bruce Lee finger distance punch they used to cheat, as that was not shoving/grappling, but striking. Needs to be in a somewhat limited field with fewer players or you have the whole problem of being stuck with no maneuverability. Some places had optional rules for fan and compressed thrust. Fan was slower but unlimited. Compressed gas was faster but you had a limited tank.

The Laser Harp looks cool, but it looks like it's just a fancy way of pressing buttons: Each laser beam shines on a sensor, and interrupting the beam triggers an electronic tone. Whereas the Earth Harp uses a very old method of making sound, but erases the distinction between instrument and performance space.

It would also work well in a Fantasy setting (I.ve postulated similar things such as D&D grimlocks tapping and bowing tuned stalagmites to turn an entire cave into a musical instrumet, or for Exalted a lesser elemental dragon of water that pierced an island with tubes to create a giant organ played by waves and tides.)

Dean Shomshak

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The problem with the metaverse, is that Zuckerberg';s vision is just a VR interface for the web we have already, and his version is primitive, especially when matched against VRChat, which has legs and user customized Avatars. I am not convinced that a VR interface for the web as we have it, would be efficient, or even desireable.  As VRChat shows, it works great as a "social" environment, not so much an investigative environment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are already some Lightsabre martial arts tournaments, and I'm a lot more likely to allow them to be using "plasma swords" in a nearby future than the copyright withheld "lightsabre", but someone invents a real working lightsabre and has the foresight to also develop hard light hologram versions for fun as a toy training tool, then it is totally plausible for other space opera to have a lightsabre fighting tourney.

• 2 weeks later...