Futuristic Sports & Entertainment

tkdguy

17 hours ago, Christopher said:

To quote the Alien from "Humans are Space Orcs" on Youtube:
"WHAT IS IT WITH HUMANS AND LASERS???"

Personally, I prefer railguns.

But you have to admit that Laszer Tage would be a great complement to lightsaber duelling for all your Star Wars LARPing needs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Blood Bowl is an incredibly popular game of "fantasy football" with an intriguing set of rules of play. If I were to take those rules of play, remove the more extreme violence, and place the whole thing in 3D and microgravity, we would have a potentially popular and lucrative sport for sci-fi campaigns, especially on orbital habitats as posited in various Mobile Suit Gundam series (like Wing and 00). In Starfinder's Pact Worlds, where much of the "human homeworld" of Absalom Station is trapped in grinding poverty, sports remains a way to crawl out of poverty and get your name in all the newsfeeds.

I went to Maker Faire today. Most of the things we discussed in this thread made an appearance in the faire. Here are some photos and videos I took. Let me know if you have trouble viewing them.

Maker Faire 2019

Edit: While I didn't try my hand at flying a drone today, I bought a small one. I will try to learn how to fly it ASAP.

Jedi training?

My thoughts on this:

I'm okay with it if you treat it as a sport and use actual moves. Although kendo is a closer fit, saber works pretty well. But that force choke bit is just ridiculous. Maybe you can use it in performances, but theatrical swordfighting is a different animal from sport fencing.

A couple more thoughts before I turn in:

Photography

The way we take photos is very different than the way we took them 30 years ago. I never would have imagined taking a photograph from my phone. Here are some ways camera technology may advance.

3D Printing

This is another new technology. You can now get 3D printed miniatures and terrain from several companies. You can even buy a 3D printer and make your own stuff.

On 5/18/2019 at 7:23 PM, tkdguy said:

Jedi training?

My thoughts on this:

Hide contents

I'm okay with it if you treat it as a sport and use actual moves. Although kendo is a closer fit, saber works pretty well. But that force choke bit is just ridiculous. Maybe you can use it in performances, but theatrical swordfighting is a different animal from sport fencing.

The local lightsaber academy is still going strong.  I don't know enough about it to know what they're actually teaching--probably some sort of theatrical kendo.