GM Joe

D6 Star Wars to be Republished!

Fantasy Flight Games is coming out with a 30th anniversary edition of the original Star Wars RPG that West End Games produced in 1987:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/16/dont-underestimate-the-force/

I love that game, and still have my original books but I think I'll buy one to support the release.

Ran a LOT of the original. I think it might even rank third for me after Champions and Traveller (Pendragon might pip it). Played a fair bit as well.

Like tkdguy I also bought the second edition but never got around to playing it.

I was a little annoyed that 2nd edition dropped the Quixotic Jedi template. THAT was what Bayles Phegan, my main character and one of my all-time greats was.

There was a looser attitude in the first editon, IMHO. Second edition seems to take itself a bit more seriously... though the revised mechanics for Force powers seemed better.

Anyone else feel that under either edition Ben Kenobi's line should have been "This was your father's blaster. Not as clumsy or random as a lightsaber..."?

:)

I also picked up D6 Space reasonably. For those who don't know. After WEG lost the Star Wars license, they came up with their own generic Space game. Not sure of the difference but people still rave about The revised and edited edition.

I feel like Fantasy Flight Games already has a line of Star Wars products that maybe they should devote time, money and effort to support. Pulling out a 30 year old rules set and pushing it out smacks of WotC when they re-released the original AD&D again recently.

But hey, if it sells, they will have made a smart move. I tried D6 Space but could not wrap my brain around the system. Won't be contributing to this one. 

Sorry for the thread necromancy.

I bought D6 Fantasy last weekend. I am impressed with its versatility; it's almost as versatile as HERO. You can use it to run a lot of different kinds of fantasy subgenres, none of which have to look like a D&D game.  The mechanics are similar to the WEG Star Wars game, so you can port over stuff with little to no trouble.

The core mechanic of expressing characteristics/skills as dice has been somewhat influential :)

Blew us away in 1987!

(Apparently it's based on their earlier Ghostbusters RPG, but we never had that.)

The Buckets o' Dice mechanic (roll a number of dice equal to some combat value and count the number of dice that exceed a target value) goes at least as far back as 1975's War at Sea. Since all the early RPG designers were wargamers at one time, I feel it was inevitable that BoD (or dice pools) would make their way into RPGs at some point.

2 hours ago, mrinku said:

That's not the D6 system's mechanic, though. You roll the dice and total them.

Second edition added the wild die which could explode. As long as you rolled a 6 on it, add it to the total and keep rolling until the you roll something other than 6.

I remember reading reviews of WEG's Star Wars RPG back in the day saying that the D6 system was substantially flawed in that a single +1D6 to a skill rank boosted the odds of success too much, and given the number of bonus dice that Force powers can generate, Jedi become the de facto overpowered munchkin class in need of constant GM oversight to keep the game from breaking.

However, the Saga-based Star Wars system seems to unanimously get rave reviews. Not having played either I can't really weigh in, but this might be food for thought for anyone interested in playing an RPG in the Star Wars universe and is on the fence about which OOP system to invest in.

To be honest, those reviews sound to me like they'd confused Force Powers (which were underwhelming if anything) with Force Points. The latter were the systems equivalent to other systems' Luck, Hero or Fate points and were available to all characters, not just Jedi. And Jedi got no special advantages there - they were actually heavily restricted as to the morality of their actions, while your Rebel Pilot or Bounty Hunter types could burn them for questionable actions without retribution. If a Force User used a Force Point for such an action they'd get Dark Side points.

Force powers didn't "add" to anything as a rule, but were separate tricks. My Quixotic Jedi's most used power was "Resist Pain" to keep going while heavily wounded, as I recall. The characters that actually dominated were those that avoided Force powers and just sunk their characteristic dice into being ace pilots, or crack shots.

Another little difference between 1st and 2nd edition Star Wars that I just recalled is that the former was set by default between Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back, while the latter was by default set after the events of Return of the Jedi. So the whole Force User scenario was quite different.

In 1st edition, you simply were not allowed to play a fully-fledged Jedi. There weren't any left; Kenobi was dead, Skywalker wasn't trained and Yoda was unknown. There were Alien Students of the Force (non-Jedi tradition), Quixotic Jedi (Crazy guys that thought they were Jedi), Failed Jedi (broken guys that somehow escaped the purge but ended up crawling into a bottle), Minor Jedi (had some training but wasn't up to scratch). Pretty sure that's the 1e list; 2e added some more. Because 2e was set in the era that Luke was starting to re-establish the Jedi there were more options.

Force Powers are confusing and I’ve played and enjoyed the D6 system. One I recalled was basically worthless because even though it was a defensive action unless you declared that you had it up before combat, it took too much combat time to be worth anything. I did buy D6 Space in an effort to rectify a bunch of brokenness of the original D6.  But now I’m back and firmly into Hero.

(I do hear a lot of good things about Star Wars R&E)

D6 Space does have a system to buy/create your own “Force” powers. D6 was created after WEG lost the Star Wars license. Btw there’s a couple of very active forums dedicated to SW D6 with Fan write ups movies and conversions of the newer set of rules.

D6 Space would be post-2nd Edition; the mechanics for Force Powers changed notably between the two editions.

It should be noted that my last post was talking about the original rules, of which I'm the most familiar.

Let’s not forget that to use the Lightsaber was hard! It had a target number of 20 to hit (roll high) vibes weapons were TN 15 - plus only the lightsaber if you missed, you could hit yourself. Yeah thee was the lightsaber skill but you needed I think at least 3D before it started to be effective. character  generation, you could max out a 2D. It is a fun system but needs work.

2 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Let’s not forget that to use the Lightsaber was hard! It had a target number of 20 to hit (roll high) vibes weapons were TN 15 - plus only the lightsaber if you missed, you could hit yourself. Yeah thee was the lightsaber skill but you needed I think at least 3D before it started to be effective. character  generation, you could max out a 2D. It is a fun system but needs work.

Yes. Thus our group always used the phrase "not as clumsy or as random as a lightsaber..."

I have been thinking of using stuff from the Star Wars rpg in a D6 Fantasy game. One would be get lightsabers and bowcasters (with the serial numbers filed off) for my scifi knights game. The other would be to use a few Star Wars races in a fantasy game. So Gamorreans would replace Orcs, and Ewoks would replace Hobbits (Sorry, Badger!).