Side Effects and Partially Limited Powers

BoloOfEarth

Question

If an attack is bought with automatic Side Effects, and it is partially limited, would the Side Effects be done for both parts separately, or just once?

For example:  Reagent has a Blast 8d6, +4d6 w/ Side Effects (3d6 automatically) and +4d6 w/ Extra Time (full Phase) & Side Effects (3d6 automatically). 

If he throws a 12d6 Blast, I know he takes 3d6 damage (without defenses - ouch!).  But if he kicks out the full 16d6, does he still take 3d6, or 2x 3d6 damage?

1 answer to this question

I think to properly and fully address this issue I would need to write a short essay, which I don’t have time to do write now. So I reserve the right to change this answer in APG3 or elsewhere. ;)

In this case, since the character took the Limitation at its full -½ value (-¼ for a 15 Active Point Side Effect, doubled because it applies automatically), he takes the full 3d6 Side Effect for each portion of the power he uses. In your example, with a Blast 16d6, he’d thus take 3d6 twice:  once for the first +4d6, and once for the second +4d6.

However, you might be able to work with your GM to reduce the effect. Perhaps if you split the Limitation value (into -¼ for each additional bit of power), he’d let you split the damage into 1½d6 per additional bit of power. I’m sure other solutions will suggest themselves. ;)