Book recommendation

Mr. R

So I just read about the update that Green Ronin is doing to the Freedom-verse, especially the new Lady Liberty.

So I offer a Book to read, a YA novel called “Dreadnought” by April Daniels.  Here read the blurb from Goodreads.  I found it enjoyable and a bit thought provoking.

Link

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30279514-dreadnought

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman was OK.

I like the Wearing the Cape series by M. G. Harmon.  Six books in the series so far.  A little too teen romance for me sometimes, though.

West Pacific Supers series by K. M. Johnson-Weider is very good.  Plus the author says on his web site that he borrows greatly from his home Champions campaign.  I wish the author would write more.

Starship Troopers (1959) By Robert Heinlein for Powered Armor in combat.

The Avengers: Battle of the Earth Eater (1967)  By Otto Binder for the superhero team.

The Avengers: Battle of the Earth Eater was pretty campy at times.  

Pocket Books but out a series of Marvel novels in the late 1970s though that were much better than I expected.  I read most of these when they came out and would, if I still had them, consider re-reading them.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/44439-marvel-novel-series

The Avengers: Battle of the Earth Eater was pretty campy at times.  

Pocket Books but out a series of Marvel novels in the late 1970s though that were much better than I expected.  I read most of these when they came out and would, if I still had them, consider re-reading them.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/44439-marvel-novel-series

Otto Binder created Mary Marvel, Supergirl, and Miss America (Madeline Joyce) for Timely/Marvel. 

The Bridge that Supergirl saved from the Airliner in the Pilot was named after him.

Starship Troopers (1959) By Robert Heinlein for Powered Armor in combat.

Great book. But be careful of the version. I got into a discussion with a friend and we had completely different takes on several parts of the book. When he pulled out his copy he was right. I was sure I was losing my memory. When I went home and pulled my copy out I discovered I had remembered right. Later we compared books, my 1979 print and his from 1987. There are subtle but significant changes that completely change the story. The 2016 copy I bought is even further away from the original

+1 for Wild Cards.

-1 for Verhoeven's Starship Troopers movie. As a dark humor satire of military sci-fi it has watchable moments intermixed with moments of utter stupidity. As an adaptation of Heinlein's novel, it is an atrocious hatchet job.

@Spence: I had no idea the book had been altered by publishers. Who in the hell approved that? Surely not REH himself.

I'm sorry Spence but I like the movie. It cannot be bad. It has Michael Ironside in it. And as it is a Paul Verhoeven film it has the delicious black humour. Would you like to know more ? as the film says.

Well I guess it is because I hate "bait and switch". The movie eas billed AS Heinlein's Starship Troopers. Not as something that vaguely borrowed a few names. It keeps trying to get a pass itself as a parody. The problem is that Veer'idiot never read the book and his perception of it and anyone military eas in of itself a parody of reality. So he essentially is saying "I make a parody of a parody".

Now as a mindless bughunt by keystone cops like imbeciles with the mental abilities of dead snails it was an entertaining blow'em up.

But it had nothing to do with Starship Troopers. Heck, the bugs were as technology advanced as we were and used starships. They didn't fart across interstellar distances

@Spence: I had no idea the book had been altered by publishers. Who in the hell approved that? Surely not REH himself.

No real idea. But since then I have been noticing that a lot of the classics seem to be changing. Apparently they are "fixing them" to meet modern expectations.

Luckily I have an extensive library of hardcopy books printed pre-2000.

No real idea. But since then I have been noticing that a lot of the classics seem to be changing. Apparently they are "fixing them" to meet modern expectations.

Luckily I have an extensive library of hardcopy books printed pre-2000.

Is there an easy way to tell from examining a copy that it is the original text?

I found "Soon I Will Be Invincible" by Austin Grossman to be enjoyable. It is from the villain's point of view and you get to see the plotting of world conquest from the other side of the street.

"The Avengers and the Thunderbolts" by Pierce Askegren. This was not an adaptation of published comics, but an actual story featuring both teams. I was a big fan of both groups and enjoyed this one.

"X-Men and Avengers: Gamma Quest" by Greg Cox.was a decent story, but too me continues the unfortunate X-Men and Avengers fight each other and then the main foe and the Avengers decide that "Mutants are A-okay!" It happens a few times in the comics, which seemed to indicate that each time the two groups met, something erased the Avengers memories and they had to learn to accept the X-Men all over again each time. Strange for a group that had at least 3 mutants on its roster.

Superman: Last Son of Krypton" by Elliot S! Maggin which came out about the time of the first Christopher Reeve movie. It was another origin story for Kal-El but had a interesting idea of the ship searching out the best person on Earth to raise young Kal and it could be a certain physicist teaching at Princeton in the 1940s and 50s.

+1 for Wild Cards.

-1 for Verhoeven's Starship Troopers movie. As a dark humor satire of military sci-fi it has watchable moments intermixed with moments of utter stupidity. As an adaptation of Heinlein's novel, it is an atrocious hatchet job.

I know you meant RAH but I would seriously love to read a version of Starship Troopers written by Robert E. Howard.