What are the differences between version 5 and version 6.

Gauntlet

I take that back, it can be done, just has to be done differently and expensively. I did it with the following:

STUN: 30

REC: 30

3 BODY Regeneration that heals limbs and brings back to life

75% Damage reduction for energy and physical, stone only.

This is for a character who's defense is regeneration.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regen is back in 6th edition, it doesn't use healing.  its pretty cheap.  Even with the high cost of healing, its not bad; the idea is to prevent an easy, cheap complete heal type power from negating damage.

Here's a nice self heal build for Wolfy types:

SUPER HEAL: Healing BODY ½d6; Self Only (+0)*, Any one ability below normal (+1/2), Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Decreased Re-use Duration (Once per phase; +1 3/4) (24 Active Points)

See, not too expensive.

This will, each phase, heal ½d6 to any one stat below normal.  Presumably the GM will determine, probably the lowest ability.  This plus a nice recovery and regeneration does the job.  Add in some defenses to show "heals fast" like damage negation and reduction for seasoning.

*Technically self only isn't allowed as a limitation for heal, so its worth no modifier.

What I like about the 6e version of Regeneration is that it fits in smoothly with natural healing. The minimum cost version of the 3e version healed 2 body per recovery, but in 6e you can buy a cheaper version that, say, doubles your natural healing rate, or gets you back from near-death in a week. It's a middle ground that was previously lacking (unless you threw custom limits at the power). 4e did it with the time chart, but I like the 6e table-in-the-power-entry approach better.

Pulled out the 3e Campaign Book with all the characters. All of them have Hero/Villain writeups and can be used as PCs, except Mechanon (whose Villain Bonus prevents that). Worth noting that none of them have baked-in evil (aside from Mechanon); even the ones who were 2e villains are more thieves and misunderstood victims. 4e doesn't have the hero/villain option and only Crusader and Starburst are definitely heroic (Cheshire Cat and Bluejay are close, though), but 4e has the Champions to fill the roll of ready-made characters, I guess.

Anyone know why Brick got dropped for Powerhouse? That's the only roster change between 3e and 4e.

I recall making regeneration for a werewolf, was down to about 9pts cost, going to the 1BODY per turn. 5E rules I remember specifically said you couldn't make it faster. I don't know if I see a reason to go faster than that...

Actually thinking about it with the speed people can have I can see why the 1 Turn is the fastest since it prevents you from getting it cheaper and activated on your phases rather than activated as a constant regen effect...

I recall making regeneration for a werewolf, was down to about 9pts cost, going to the 1BODY per turn. 5E rules I remember specifically said you couldn't make it faster. I don't know if I see a reason to go faster than that...

Actually thinking about it with the speed people can have I can see why the 1 Turn is the fastest since it prevents you from getting it cheaper and activated on your phases rather than activated as a constant regen effect...

You can't buy it faster than "per turn" but you CAN buy more than 1 pt per turn. For extremely rapid regeneration buy 5-10 BODY per turn, and maybe a larger amount of BODY to start with as a buffer (which might also be bought as "only for calculating death threshold, -1").

Keep in mind even a "mere" 1pt per turn is going to counter normal bleeding from being in negative body, allowing First Aid rolls to be done much later, and 2pts per turn will guarantee recovering from damage that doesn't outright kill the character within a minute or two.

They started pulling back the bonuses from Growth and Density Increase in 4e. 3e Density increase gave you +3 resistant DEF per level (mass doubling), but that was lost for normal PD in 4e. 3e Growth added Running, but 4e dropped that (I think. BBB is at home and I'm at work). I'm very familiar with the 3e/4e changes in Shrinking and DI, since one of my main characters (Dwarfstar) had those as his thing (shrinks, but stays normal mass. In old school terms, three levels of DI per level of Shrinking). When I did the 4e conversion for Dwarfy I had to add some Armour per level of DI to get the old 3e effect, which annoyed.

6e Growth is done quite differently (and some of the adders are back, like Running). Instead of a flat cost and fixed effects, it's now done as a bundle of effects suitable for the size, with Costs Endurance, Unified Power and Side Effects (which will be an associated Physical Complication). That allows you to tweak the effects better. For "always on" Growth, Density Increase and Shrinking, you don't bother with the power. Just take the Physical complication, and use the appropriate template as a guide to the powers to purchase.

It took a bit to get my head around it, but it's a better way to run things.

EDIT: It might be informative to compare the 3e, 4e and a 6e version of Dwarfstar's build (at least the Shrinking/DI part of it). I'll pull out his old sheets when I get home tonight and work out a 6e equivalent.

Not to mention that Find Weakness could stack with itself, meaning that the target might get ⅛ or less of their actual defense if the attacker had a few phases to prepare.

Multiple AP (APG p. 137):

1/2 AP (+1/4)

1/4 AP (+3/4)

1/8 AP (+1 3/4)

1/16 AP (+3 3/4)

1/32 AP (+7 3/4)

1/64 AP (+15 3/4)

Anyone know why my Hero Designer when creating V6 characters keeps stating in the Experience spent that I have used Experience that I don't have even though my complications make it correct. It appears that when creating V6 characters it keeps saying that my complications have no value.

I have adjusted the base to the value I need and complications are at the proper value as well.

The following is from Eagle Eye which I downloaded from the Hero site.

Base: 325

Matching Complications: 75

Complication Points Used: 75

Experience Earned: 0

Experience Spent: 75 (This is in red stating that is not correct)

Unspent Experience: 0

Total Points Spent: 400 (This is also in red)

As you can see here it is not using the Complications Points. 

Here's Dwarfstar's Shrinking/DI power over the editions.

Historical versions had base STR 15, SPD 5, REC 15. Mobility was jet boots (15" Flight) that didn't use his personal END

3e (I'll use the modern notation of negative numbers for Limitations to reduce confusion): (126pts total)

18     EC - Density Powers, all powers must be used together, in proportion (-¼) (22pts)

18  a 3 Levels Shrinking, ¼ END (45 active) - 1 END

90  b 9 Levels Density Increase, ¼ END (135pts Active) - 4 END

Providing +9 rDEF, +15 STR, +15 CON, +3 BODY, x½ Range Mod and x½ Running per Shrinking level, with a net END of 1/3/5.

Shrinking all the way down wasn't something he could maintain for very long, but he was built to be able to maintain level two indefinitely (aside from STR END use), effectively making him a STR 45, rDEF 18 brick.

4e  (98pts total)

14     EC - Density Powers, all powers must be used together, in proportion (-¼) (18 pts)

15  a 3 Levels Shrinking, ½ END (37 active) - 1 END

30  b 9 Levels Density Increase, ½ END (56pts Active) - 2 END

39  c +18 PD +18 ED Hardened Armour (67pts Active)

Providing +3 PD/ED, +6 Hardened rDEF, +15 STR, +2 DCV, -2 vs PER rolls per Shrinking level, with a net END of 2/2/3.

The 4e version was able to maintain full shrink, but by this time he'd played enough that a bit of a power boost was expected. But that was mostly due to the 4e loosening of END costs. I'm guessing 5e would be a similar build.

6e  (84 pts total)

Density Powers

13  Shrinking (0.25m, -6 PER Rolls against, +6 DCV), ½ END (+¼) (22pts Active) ; Unified Power (-¼), Linked to Resistant Protection, must use together in proportion (-½); 1 END

26  Density Increase (+45 STR, +9PD/ED), ½ END (+¼) (45pts Active); Unified Power (-¼), Linked to Resistant Protection, must use together in proportion (-½); 2 END

45  +18 Resistant Protection, Hardened (+¼) (67pts Active); Unified Power (-¼), Nonpersistant (-¼)

Same benefits and END as 4e, plus ½ Reach. And you don't need to use a custom limitation!

For all builds, mass remains the same and there is no net modifier to KB.

Well... between the 3e and 4e designs he also lost +15 CON per shrinking level and the rDEF was trimmed by 2/3. That was the big drop. If I'd retained those his 4e cost would have been much higher.

And... I'm still a little confused by the Size Template thing, to be honest. As far as the purchased (non-inherent) powers go, those are just guidelines, right?