WWYCD: The Skyship Going Down

Marcus Impudite

An enormous flying ship, owned by a villain in the campaign world, is directly over Campaign City. Your group and several others are aboard battling said villain's minions when the government sponsored "hero," Vanguard, carelessly damages one of the anti-gravity units that keeps the city-sized craft in the air. The ship's owner and a crew of his technicians have rushed down to the section where the damage anti-grav unit is located and are attempting to repair it and stabilize the ship. Needless to say, the ship is more large enough to do a catastrophic amount of damage if it falls on Campaign City.

WWYCD?

(And yes, I'm borrowing Vanguard from Hermit's "Adventures of Fish Guy" for this one, if that's okay)

Sunburn: "power stunt" his teleportation (Special Effect: Transform body to light and move at light speed to area and reform) and change the falling skyship to light and deposit it 'safely' somewhere else. Since what he is trying to do is something he has never truly did before, he will be at 0 END and STUN, and could only do this once...

Paradox Timely: Was this suppose to happen in the history of the world? If yes, then she'll do nothing, as it is a violation of TED charter to change events which are going to happen. If it is not suppose to happen, then Paradox will manipulate superheroes to be there to help evacuate everyone. Meanwhile, on the skyship, she will fix what happened enough to save everyone, unless she is tied up at the moment...

Well the first character I flashed on is a Nick Fury/Capt. America type. Soooooooooooo..... Get a bottle of the good stuff from the bar, find a comfy chair, put his feet up, and try to remember all the words to "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" before the end.

Robo-bushi would fly out and push. Wouldn't add much, but in this situation every little bit helps.

Dwarfstar is a pilot, so might be able to help with flying the crate away from the city.

Big Girl would definitely smash Vanguard. Though if she was on board it's more likely that she'd been the one who'd inadvertently damaged the thing. Doesn't mean she wouldn't smash someone anyway. ("IT NOT BIG GIRL'S FAULT! STUPID FLYING THING TOO PUNY! RAAAGH!!!")

Iron Maiden (flying brick) would do her best (which, with a STR 80, is considerable) to keep the ship aloft--at least until repairs can be effected, or it moves over a safe crash site.

Kinetic (a TK-based character) would do likewise.

But they're the only two PCs I have who could do much in this situation.

Quasar -  As creator & operator of the most powerful technological battlesuit on Earth, Quasar would fly under the Skyship, engage thrusts, disengage all safety interlocks, boost thruster power output BEYOND maximum power, and singlehandedly keep the Skyship in the air long enough for the technicians to repair the antigrav unit.  Because saving the day is just what you do when you're a superhero.

Mystica - "Skyship crashes, so many people will die.  Is sad.  For them.  Mystica will not die.  Mystica can fly.  What kind of idiot gets into big fight high up in sky, but no can fly?  BIG idiots.  Soon, fewer idiots.  Is good."

Shadowhunter - "Great!  All these years fighting drug smugglers and hit men, and now I'm going to die in the sky.  What am I even DOING up here?  I can't fly.  I must be an idiot!  May as well put my last few minuets on Earth to good use.  Let's see....  There's Mystica.  She's always been a stuck up Russian bitch.  Say, this might be my big chance.  If we're all gonna die anyway, I wonder if I could tap that ass hard enough to knock the stick out of it?  That's probably all she needs, a good... Oh HELL, she's looking at me.  She's probably reading my mind right now.  That's all I need.  The last guy who pissed her off, they buried in an Altiods tin.  That's it.  I'm punching Vanguard."

I don't think I've ever made a character who could do anything that could save a city from a falling skyship.

All of them could punch Vanguard, though.

So, punch Vanguard.

Punch Vanguard and the villainous ship owner, engineers proceed as planned.  (at this point all non-stupidly loyal engineers will not care much if I curbstomp their boss)

Our group faced a variation of this scenario where a V'hanian starship lost power above the Bay Area. Our solution was for our wizard Hexen to aid my Force Field controller Valiant. With boosted strength I was able to divert the falling ship into the Pacific Ocean. Of course we then had to contend with the resulting tidal wave. Some teamwork and a boosted force wall allowed us to create a counter wave and save the Bay Area. Now we have to deal with the salvaged alien technology and keep it from falling into the wrong hands, although the wrong hands may actually be our own given how often hijinks ensue around us.

If the problem is a crucial damaged connection inside a compartment with a lethal radiation field, Mr Terrific can go to invulnerable form, walk in, and try to fix it by hand. He has some tech skill, so it's an option, and he'd stay there trying all the way down to impact.

Hmmm I'll give this a go with my three characters.

Zodiac ninja: Is strong and can help with some heavy lifting, and... little else.

Automata: She has skills in electronics, mechanics, computer programming, and she can help bend things into place...

Fairy:

a) TK +60 STR, push up on the skyship to slow it's descent.

B) Another option could be to start doing a severe transform on it over and over again until it bursts into cotton candy (or marshmellow if you want a ghostbuster's repeat).

c) major/severe transform to teleport or shift it to another dimension.

d) Start looting the ship (putting stuff into extra-dimensional space), then fly off the ship and watch it crash...

e) go inside and find the most damaged components and do transforms to repair them instead

f) Pray to god... wait, that's what Barf and Lonestar would do...

g) Summon a magic/permanent marker and start doodling on all the controls, monitors and maps...

Brickhouse would jump (using a push ?) up to the skyfalling carrier, and do use her formidable physic to crush it into parts as fast as possible to make it explode before the impact... even to the cost of her own life (Thanks Lucius & palindromedary again for the first build of that character ^^)

Mimic would try to find the best abilities to copy and use them, ti either destroy, repair, deviate, whatever the skycruiser.

Brickhouse would jump (using a push ?) up to the skyfalling carrier, and do use her formidable physic to crush it into parts as fast as possible to make it explode before the impact... even to the cost of her own life (Thanks Lucius & palindromedary again for the first build of that character ^^)

Wouldn't she just grow to giant size and catch and hold it?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary remembers that she was mighty, mighty.

A fair bit depends on the actual size of the thing. Is it actually the size of a city (and they come in many sizes!) or just a few city blocks, or a suburb? Either of those last two would still be enough of a disaster to make things critical, but perhaps be more within player ability to control.

500,000 people masses about 50,000 tonnes - and that's just a city without buildings - requiring 105 STR to deadlift.