Yondu's Arrow in 5E

g3taso

Loved Guardians of the Galaxy, and Yondu's Arrow was a favorite. 

I thought I might create it as a weapon, and I initially came up with  Yondu's Arrow: RKA 1d6 (standard effect: 3 BODY, 6 STUN), Penetrating (+1/2), Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4) (41 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4)

I thought it might be nifty to try it as a follower. Any suggested builds? I'm new to buildings computers, bases and so forth. Suggested builds would be helpful.

This only makes sense if it's something like AoE: 1m, Accurate, I think?

Well my thinking is that he hits everything in an area, so you roll to hit once and everyone gets it.  How many times does someone miss an AE attack anyway?  If its a big enough area, missing by a hex or two doesn't even matter.

• I agree with the AoE Selective, Accurate -- since he does, indeed, use the arrow to hit only friendlies ... en masse.

I also agree on the Focus requirement -- it's definitely an OIF in the movies -- especially given the need for the control fin which, if damaged, renders the arrow unusable.

The control fin appears to be breakable and replaceable, so I think those should play into the arrow (i.e. requires control fin Limitation)...

There's also definitely skill involved in commanding the arrow, as we see at the end of the second movie when someone other than Yondu is learning.  This suggests a 'Requires a Roll' limitation.

Also, how often do you see Yondu doing other things while he's commanding the arrow?  i.e. Doesn't he usually stay put (or occasionally walk) while the arrow moves about doing its work?  If so, then there's probably at least a 1/2 DCV Concentration component to the arrow's use (if walking) ... or possibly even 0 DCV Concentration if he must remain still.

• I agree with the AoE Selective, Accurate -- since he does, indeed, use the arrow to hit only friendlies ... en masse.
  • There's also definitely skill involved in commanding the arrow, as we see at the end of the second movie when someone other than Yondu is learning. This suggests a 'Requires a Roll' limitation.
  • Also, how often do you see Yondu doing other things while he's commanding the arrow? i.e. Doesn't he usually stay put (or occasionally walk) while the arrow moves about doing its work? If so, then there's probably at least a 1/2 DCV Concentration component to the arrow's use (if walking) ... or possibly even 0 DCV Concentration if he must remain still.

Other people might have requires a skill roll. Yondu sure doesn't.

We don't see Yondu doing cartwheels or anything when he's using the arrow, but we don't see him doing that anyway. His DCV doesn't seem to be penalized when he's using it.

I'd suggest Yondu's arrow is a big multipower, with a different slot for each specialized "use".

Arrow MP. 113 pts (65 w/ OIF and incantations)

"Goon killer" -- 2D6 RKA, area effect radius (with increased area), selective, increased stun multiple +2, 0 end

"Ship buster" -- 2D6 RKA, x2 penetrating, autofire x5, 0 end

"Kill through walls" -- 2D6 RKA, +3/4 indirect, penetrating, increased stun multiple +2, 0 end

"Important guy killer" -- 3D6 RKA, penetrating, increased stun multiple +3, 1/2 end

Goon killer slot lets Yondu now through faceless guys who have normal agent-level stats. Many of them won't even have resistant defense. Yondu will do enough Body to hospitalize them, and usually enough Stun to knock them unconscious. Yondu also has a high OCV and a high Speed, so if he needs to finish guys off, he just uses this again next phase.

Ship buster lets him smash equipment and blow holes in shuttles and other vehicles. They have crap for DCV, so he usually hits all 5 times. X2 penetrating goes right through average ship defenses, by word of GM.

Kill through walls slot lets him kill people behind obstacles. In the movie, those guys often got their own death scene, so here he only kills them one at a time.

Important guy killer threatens PCs. It has a higher base damage, and a higher stun multiple. Normally Yondu uses the "cover" maneuver, rolling to-hit and then holding the attack without striking the target (like pointing your gun at somebody's face, if they move you automatically hit). By GM interpretation (i.e., mine), when the cover maneuver is used like this, the character doesn't get to apply combat luck to the attack. This makes this attack potentially highly lethal, which is why PCs fear Yondu.

Give him campaign average OCV and DCV, with about +5 with the arrow. He really doesn't miss. Total cost should be about 89 points, if my math is right (doing this on phone).

Other people might have requires a skill roll. Yondu sure doesn't.

We don't see Yondu doing cartwheels or anything when he's using the arrow, but we don't see him doing that anyway. His DCV doesn't seem to be penalized when he's using it.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that -- as I think Yondu tends to PRE attack and then unload on his opposition when his hesitating/cowed targets get no chance to attack him -- meaning his DCV isn't terribly relevant most of the time and, thus, there's no issue with it being halved.  (Failing to cause Nebula to cower allowed her to make easy work of his fin when it was targeted in Vol 2. I figure the GM must've decided to make Yondu's Concentration matter in that fight, as the called focus shot .... on the head (i.e. focus shot plus head-shot penalties, I'd think) ... would be, what, a -10 OCE penalty for the placed shot?  I'm pretty sure he was at half DCV for that shot ...)

We'll have to agree to disagree on that -- as I think Yondu tends to PRE attack and then unload on his opposition when his hesitating/cowed targets get no chance to attack him -- meaning his DCV isn't terribly relevant most of the time and, thus, there's no issue with it being halved.  (Failing to cause Nebula to cower allowed her to make easy work of his fin when it was targeted in Vol 2. I figure the GM must've decided to make Yondu's Concentration matter in that fight, as the called focus shot .... on the head (i.e. focus shot plus head-shot penalties, I'd think) ... would be, what, a -10 OCE penalty for the placed shot?  I'm pretty sure he was at half DCV for that shot ...)

As I recall, Nebula shot him from surprise, so yeah, he'd have been half DCV vs her because he didn't realize she was there.  She shot him from behind.  We never see him suffer any kind of concentration penalties otherwise.  Hell, one scene in that film is him slowly strolling down the hallway, not even watching where the arrow is going.  It's a scene meant to show how casually he can kill everyone on the ship.

As I recall, Nebula shot him from surprise, so yeah, he'd have been half DCV vs her because he didn't realize she was there.  She shot him from behind.  We never see him suffer any kind of concentration penalties otherwise.  Hell, one scene in that film is him slowly strolling down the hallway, not even watching where the arrow is going.  It's a scene meant to show how casually he can kill everyone on the ship.

I took that slow stroll to indicate he HAD to walk slowly because of concentration -- since in most other cases in the movie he doesn't move, at all...

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2017 at 3:51 PM, Surrealone said:

This only makes sense if it's something like AoE: 1m, Accurate, I think?

As for making it a follower; I don't see that, at all; the whistling to give commands just seems like SFX, to me...

And, it could be the whistling is even more than just SFX depending on how you want to build it. The whistling seems to be how he controls it, so maybe AE, Selective, and some OCV levels limited to just the use of the arrow.

Or Ranged with AE Accurate, and Autofire, + the OCV levels, and probably LOS