VIPER plots

Ninja-Bear

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought of making a villainous Mountie called Dudley Do Wrong after reading the above posts

Great, now you've turned the Commonwealth against us. :(

Ah...the Arch-Nemesis of Dudley Do Right.

At least get that part right --  that was Snidely Whiplash. (I can't believe I'm defending this cr@p.) :huh:

Thinking... If the earliest Champions products hadn't had UNTIL, and instead used a US group, where would that have left players in the rest of the world?

With UNTIL, you could write scenarios that were more or less portable all over the world without modification.

Of course the problem of using a non-national group happens pretty much everywhere... There's no easy answer.

Fortunately at the time SHIELD hadn't become an arm of the US Government, so UNTIL was created as an international organisation.

As far as "what if"... well, I always set all my stuff in the US anyway. But it's pretty easy to port over an organisation.

Don't forget there was also the precedent of Gold Key Comics' T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, for "The Higher United Nations Defense Enforcement Reserve." And TV's Man/Girl from UNCLE also featured an international espionage organization. For that matter, SHIELD in the MCU initially reported to the "World Security Council," whose members clearly included non-Americans.

Thinking... If the earliest Champions products hadn't had UNTIL, and instead used a US group, where would that have left players in the rest of the world?

With UNTIL, you could write scenarios that were more or less portable all over the world without modification.

Of course the problem of using a non-national group happens pretty much everywhere... There's no easy answer.

Well, other early American-based Champions "super agencies," notably PRIMUS and SAT, were essentially THE agency from the campaigns of the writers of early Champs supplements. They all ended up thrown together and had to be sorted out when Hero Games attempted to give the setting more coherence.

Here's a Viper plot: Viper sets up 'undesirable' agents to look like well-known supervillains. The Viper commander tells those agents they're testing new Viper equipment when all they have is the usual agent equipment disguised to look like a particular supervillains'. While these 'supervillains' are out committing a crime, the real Viper plot is being done somewhere else. If nothing else, it'll make the heroes scratch their heads, wondering why the supervillains are so pathetic that day?

Complicate things: Viper keeps sending more unwanted agents out in disguise, confusing heroes and possibly making heroes wonder if something is wrong with the villains.

Complicate things even more: The villains being imitated are getting upset and start looking for the guys behind all this.

You could also seed in the "unwanted agents" as comedy characters in an early run-in to establish just why Viper considers them expendable, even maybe make them campaign regulars. Joe and Suzy, the bumbling Viper agents (or team leaders).

And I've realised as I wrote it that that is basically the description of Team Rocket's Jesse and James from Pokémon! Give Joe and Suzy an unusual sidekick, too :)

(That idea may or may not be appropriate for the campaign tone. But even a serious setting can benefit from occasional comic relief.)

On 10/31/2017 at 5:01 PM, Ninja-Bear said:

Tech I like your plot however I think for it to be effective, the kids need to fight said villains a couple of times before  using the imposters.

Well, that just creates more fun episodes for you to do before this one. :D

Here's a more adult VIPER plot--agents impersonating local police officers (or infiltrators in the department) begin harassing minorities and street people with the intention of casting the police in a bad light.  The heroes being keeping an eye out for such incidents, and when one develops in front of them, they are attacked by a VIPER Five-Team disguised as the local "Super-SWAT" unit, or one or more mercenary super-criminals.  The player-heroes have to resolve the situation while maintaining good relations with the authorities--assuming such relations exist in the first place. 

Hope that helps.

3 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Wcw43921 thanks but I’m dealing with young kids :). 

Inspired by Sundown’s background, I think what I might do is have a villain of the week. They are created by VIPER’s man mutation project.   (And i’ll use the random mutant generator from the mutant files)

Well, that is how shows like Sailor Moon do things.